Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

• 3 weeks later...

How about using a homing pigeon

South African pigeon 'faster than broadband'

A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom.

Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

^^ Just as long as he didn't have to take one of our gales head on, he'd not be much slower than what we have a lot of the time right now.

Given their track record, I'm usually very leery of the council becoming involved in commercial business ventures, or throwing money at other folk's business ventures. But one scheme I will be loathe to criticise is splicing in to the Faroe cable, and at least getting some competition going on round here. The status quo is beyond pitiful.

How accurate is speedtest.net? I've ditched Pipex and gone we BT, but when I do a test on speedtest.net I get dreadful results we BT, worse than Pipex, but the actual speed is better. YouTube videos, downloads and websites are lightning quick noo. So i'm no convinced yun speedtest.net is very accurate at all. Does anybody else find dat?

^^ I dunno. When speedtest has me as being anywhere under 0.20 Mb/s I may as well give up trying to use the net, streaming vids are hopeless and numerous site pages won't render properly and are a pain to use, or hang and lock up. When speedtest says I'm above 1.00 Mb/s everything works sweet as a nut.

Speeds down around 0.10 - 0.20 used to be a once in a blue moon rarity, now its as much as 50% of any one given week, and I doubt there's been a week without at least several hours of that kind of service in the last several months.

Tiscali I'm going to dump, that decision has been taken, its just a case of deciding who is the lesser evil to move to, right now I'm trying to decide between Plusnet and BT.