Broadband speed

Marvin

Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Problems with Broadband in Gulberwick

• Oh YES!
    • Oh NO!

BT have confirmed that there is a problem in Lerwick and they are working on it....could be a few days to get it fixed though.

Any update on this, did BT get the problem in Lerwick sorted ?

It seemed to be a little faster last night, I could stream things on iPlayer without a problem. Will run a speed test later tonight, just to be sure though.

They say they have fixed it but I'm still getting a few e-mails from people saying that they are still having problems.

I'm also getting a few e-mails from people saying that speed through the day seem to have gone back to normal but in evenings it is slowing down considerably. Anybody else having this problem (more than the usual)?

Marvin

^^ I hope the SIC is billing BT for the time you spend helping BT sort out their problems. :wink:

Agree wie dee dair!

Speaking to BT and other telcos is in the job description. It's fine doing bits and bobs but I spent a full two days on this when it all went kaput a couple of weeks ago. I guess their defence would be that nobody in BT asked me to sherg at them :) ....

Cheers

Marvin

They say they have fixed it but I'm still getting a few e-mails from people saying that they are still having problems.

I'm also getting a few e-mails from people saying that speed through the day seem to have gone back to normal but in evenings it is slowing down considerably. Anybody else having this problem (more than the usual)?

Marvin

Seems strange I heard from a reliable source the other day that if there was a fault in Lerwick then it was news to them ! :?

It rather depends on what "usual" is defined as.

Evening speed is abysmal, but then again its always been bad for me.

Prior to sometime in October I could usually rely on getting within shouting range of 2.0 unless between around 6pm and around 10.30pm daily, when it fell back to somewhere in the 1.0 - 1.5 mark.

Since things were supposedly "fixed" after the October in to November saga of woes, I get the circa 2.0 again fine enough, but for a slightly shorter period. The "slow" time has extended to cover from around 5pm to around 1am, and the "slow" speed during that time is slower, usually now somewhere in the 0.5 - 1.0 range.

In practical terms, before October I could usually use YouTube anytime of the day I wanted to, for around 90% of the time. Since October anytime between 5pm and 1am its pointless to try using it.

Whether its down to BT's lines or my ISP (Tiscali/TalkTalk) though, who knows. I'm going to change to another ISP after the New Year, once the hoilday mayhem is past, so I'll know then by however the new one behaves.

Government reveals super-fast broadband plans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11922424

Every community in the UK will gain access to super-fast broadband by 2015 under plans outlined today.

The private sector is to deliver broadband to two thirds of the UK. Other, mainly rural, areas will receive public funds to build a "digital hub" with a fibre optic internet connection.

Ministers say they aim for the UK to have Europe's best broadband network.