As Alex McLeish resigns, who's next for Scotland?

JAStewart

Who the f**k are Birmingham? Sorry, but they are just a bunch of Journeymen.

I would forgive the "big eck" if he left Scotland for a major european club e.g Champions League standard. I see why Walter left Scotland for Rangers but i bet Walter would have never have gone to Birmingham.

Left for £1m a year and competative football. Not to mention the fact that if he failed to take Scotland to South Africa, expectations appear to be that high, he would be hounded and his stick greatly reduced.

What managerial experiance does McCallister have again?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should McAllister get the job? The man has hee haw experience as a manager, and when he was in charge of Coventry, done very little to note. McAllister also quit playing for Scotland because of constant booing from our embarassing supporters, the Tartan Army, because he missed a penalty at Euro 96!

There's only one man for the job, Billy Davies. This man done wonders at mediocre teams, taking Preston to the play-offs finals in 2006. Look where Preston are now. And Derby, a team who just avoided relegation from the Championship in 2006, Davies comes in and takes them to the Premiership at the first time of asking on an extremely tight budget.

Dalglish and Graham are too old.

Mcalistair, Gough, Hendry, Lambert, Collins are too young.

Davies, Burns, Aitken, Souness, Jefferies are not good enough

I would ONLY accept David Moyes or George Burley.

Moyes would be a good replacement. I think the S.F.A should try and lure him away by matching his salary at Everton.

Dalglish and Graham are too old.

Moyes would be a good replacement. I think the S.F.A should try and lure him away by matching his salary at Everton.

Hm yeah because we did every effort to match the wages Birmingham were offering McLeish... Moyes will be on more than 2m a year at Everton! No chance! And if he has any ambition he should stay put. A move to Scotland is a sign of a lack of ambition.

George Burley would be good though, and the way things are going at Southampton just now I could see it happening.

Burley would be a good choice, he tries to play a good attacking style of play. Something we seldom get to see with Scotland with our ultra defensive nonsense. Burley is a good manager, what is happening at Southampton behind the scenes at the minute is what is wrong with the Saints at the minute, if their board had any ambition and let Burley keep his players rather than always selling them on then Southampton would be in the Premiership in no time!

Putting forward someone's name because 'they've done wonders on a shoestring budget' is a bit of a red herring.

We need someone who can select a decent group of players - not necessarily old firm benchwarmers and Championship also-rans and not necessarily stars...look at England with Gerrard and Lampard.

Then decide how to play such that we score more goals than our opponents.

And if that isn't happening....be able to change tactics during play so that it does.

Not too much to ask, is it? :)

I've just read an article from that website Monday 19th November 2007.

Our ex-National hero states "I'm flattered by the speculation but at the same time i don't have any plans to leave the(Scotland) job" :o :o :o.......... "Except if a MASSIVE club like Birmingham comes in for me and i get the chance to manage great players like Oliver Kapo, Stuart parnaby, Franck Quedrue, Gary Mcsheffry and Medi Nafti!!!!!"

"I've never mapped out my career. I've kind of ad-libbed it and that the way it will continue"

Yeah, big eck thats why your at Birmingham and the biggest game of the year will be against Aston Villa then next year it will be West Brom in the Championship.

Everybody should be listening to BALLACK here. I know he doesn't talk much sense about Shetland football, but everything he has said here is spot on.

Burley seems to be the only person mentioned who has the right qualities, and doesn't already have a better job. He's the man Gordon Smith should be trying to secure as our next manager.

As for all the other names on here who would be interested, I'll give you a name that would be better than all of them.........

Craig Brown :shock:

I don't want him back either, but would take him before Souness, Aitken, Burns et al.

I would give the job to George Burley afore I gave it tae Billy Davies, he has done ok at Preston NE and Derby but just feel he isna the finished article yet.

Everybody should be listening to BALLACK here. I know he doesn't talk much sense about Shetland football, but everything he has said here is spot on.

Burley seems to be the only person mentioned who has the right qualities,

Ahem EistnWast I think you'll find where penfold treads BALLACK follows :wink: