is SIBC good radio or bad?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

for years now when i go south on my wee trips i love to listen to North Sound and Moray Firth Radio, and other stations. I always wish if SIBC picked up the ideas of using people to host the shows - how good it would be then - a real community station and not a 2 'man' personal show with no personality

I also think that at non peek times they could be local music shows to premote local music.

What do you think?

I would fully agree with you. The only thing SIBC really has going for it is the hourly local news bulletins.

However, I cant see that it would be commercially viable to have the type of radio station we would like to see. You have to give Ian credit for keeping it going. He does seem to put a lot of time into it, does he ever take holidays?

Guest Anonymous

all he would have to do is to actualy invest in djs and get on with it - a start like the breackfast show with time checks and genural chat as well as good music. then i would listen, at teh moment im either on redio one or two only because if i dont have some sort of chat and time checks id never get oot me bed!

listening to south comercial stations is great when ur on holiday - real community feeling you get.

so if ian did employ a breackfast show dj then people would want to advertise during the show more then that would make the show profitable then they would get more adds then on it goes - he would be loaded enough to start a morning show then it all starts again!

taking the first step is the hardest thing to do

I agree. There are certainly plenty of local characters who would be up to the DJing job. A couple of hours in the morning isn't going to cost the station too much, and it would increase the audience, and therefore advertising revenue, by a considerable factor. And I'm sure the current presenters could do with a lie in.

Who do you think would be a good local breakfast DJ? Smirk? (although he might be a bit too 'Gooooooooooood morning Vietnaaaaam')

Purely in the name of science, of course, i spent the afternoon listening to SIBC today while doing some car work.

The playlist was pretty good really, i (urgh) almost enjoyed it

The downside being it was the same playlist as the last time i heard it, which seems like ages ago, and there were a couple of horrific cringe-ing tunes.

On the comedy factor, the chris hodge advert? "Hi there..."

"Hi, i'm troy maclure" would be less twee

When you listen to some of the mainstream, national alternatives it probably compares not too badly as far as playlists are concerned (I haven't been able to listen to it for quite a while though, being in Glasvegas).

Radio 1 have an A-list which consists of ten songs, I think, played on constant rotation through the day. You can't go more than about 45 minutes without hearing a song twice!

I think the local DJ's idea is a very good one. And, as mentioned on the other thread, a bit more music of Shetland origin (MOSO awards anybody?) would not go amiss.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

the music they play is good its just the news is presented like a 2nd year anderson high student, well maby pr& bells b!

id like to see propper radio DJs like other stations south

less nordic news that no one gives a dam what goes on in iceland, but might be interested of in Aberdeen or even Scotland!

He would not have to write it just use teletext or watch the GMTV local bits!

then that would be a start

• 4 weeks later...

i mind a conversation i had once wi someone sooth who had been to Shetland, where he honestly believed Sibc was a pretty good local radio station, my drunken response was, load of s***e from what i remembered of it.

mind you, while working last summer i did get fairly addicted to listening for comedy news report errors, which were repeated all day, daily it seemed. he does have a fairly decent playlist in comparison to sooth stations, just a pity its no what i like to listen to, DJ spots would possibly make it worth listenin to rather than relying on my ain CD's

When people have been up to visit me they think that SIBC is some sort of wind up.

I think that it must be the bouts of amnesia in amongst the news reading, the paper shuffling, the in depth to the point of minutiae reporting, the refusal to use abbreviations once you have given the full version of the company's name, the productive coughing, crashing vocals to make the news fit in at the right time. The x oclock news starting 2 minutes late, i.e. the wrong time.

You can't knock the music though, (theres not enough rock though) its so much better that that diddle-e-dee sharn at 7 oclock on Radio Shetland/Scotland. Then again, when the girlfriend makes me dinner I always compliment her on the yoghurts at the end rather than the meal.

Worst of all was one of the taxi adverts, the friendly local taxi company one. My son was convinced that it had been recorded by someone with a microphone in one hand and a blood-stained axe in the other.

When people have been up to visit me they think that SIBC is some sort of wind up.

I think that it must be the bouts of amnesia in amongst the news reading, the paper shuffling, the in depth to the point of minutiae reporting, the refusal to use abbreviations once you have given the full version of the company's name, the productive coughing, crashing vocals to make the news fit in at the right time. The x oclock news starting 2 minutes late, i.e. the wrong time.

Jamie said you always hated SIBC!