Best Shetland Football players ever seen

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Frankie's multiple posts of single names (and I agree with him on most of them) proves that this is an unanswerable question. It's all about opinions and that's what makes it so much fun.

For me, Andrew Bletty, in fact all three Blettys, Bert Sinclair, Ernie Smith, Big Robbie Leask, Wilbert Shearer, Robbie Irvine, Michael Williamson, Nigel Llewellyn, Michael Johnson, Ewan Odie, Mike Davies, Ernie Watson, Jack Halcrow, George Adamson, Gordie Smith, Graeme Sutherland and George Leask all deserve a mention.

That's because I played with or against them and know what it's like to play on the same pitch with them. It all depends what era you're talking about.

No doubt once I post this I'll start remembering the next list.

Another way of looking at it is to think which player you were most relieved to find missing from the opposition team sheet or to find included on your own.

Me? I ALWAYS found John-Lee Fullerton one of the awkwardest b***ers to get the ball off!!!

And always delighted when Gordon Lawson would mooch into our changing room, fag dangling from the corner of his mouth.

I think Frankie's multiple posts of single names (and I agree with him on most of them) proves that this is an unanswerable question. It's all about opinions and that's what makes it so much fun.

For me, Andrew Bletty, in fact all three Blettys, Bert Sinclair, Ernie Smith, Big Robbie Leask, Wilbert Shearer, Robbie Irvine, Michael Williamson, Nigel Llewellyn, Michael Johnson, Ewan Odie, Mike Davies, Ernie Watson, Jack Halcrow, George Adamson, Gordie Smith, Graeme Sutherland and George Leask all deserve a mention.

That's because I played with or against them and know what it's like to play on the same pitch with them. It all depends what era you're talking about.

You must have an interest in Ness Utd., I'm guessing if you remember Ernie Watson ??

Guest Anonymous

Being to young to have seen quite a few of the names mentioned in this thread i quizzed my dad as to who he thought was the best players he has seen in shetland. The top three he came up with were Bert Sinclair from Scalloway, Graeme Sandison from Whalsay and Moray Leask from Scalloway.

Those that didn't make his top three were John Johnson, Michael Johnson and Neil Gray from Thistle, Ewen Odie when he played for Ness Utd (he's convinced he played better for Ness than Thistle), Wilbert Jamieson, Ian Irvine, Robbie Irvine from Whalsay, Ernie Smith, Davey Leask and Tommy Burgess from Scalloway, Robbie and George Leask from Spurs, Stuary Hay and Davey Clubb from Delting, Paul Regan from Celtic. He mentioned somebody else from Ness but i can't remember the name (think it might have been the Halcrow fellow mentioned) and some forward that played for Thistle in the 80's from South (Angus?).

Angus Murray and Gordon Lawson (Thistle)

Paul Regan and Colin Grant (Celtic)

Ernie Smith, Sean O'conner, Mike Davies and Nigel Lywelyn (Whitedale)

Gerry Kearney and Ross Jamieson (Delting)

Karl Wiliamson and Wilbert Shearer (Whalsay)

George Leask, Kenny Malcolmson and Alex Watt (Spurs)

Oliver Henry, Lenny Laurenson and Charlei Chicken (Scalloway)

Keepers: Bobby Wiseman, John Johnson and Clive Watt

and the winner is..................................Angus Murray without a doubt!

and the winner is..................................Angus Murray without a doubt!

What about Ness ? :?

You must have an interest in Ness Utd., I'm guessing if you remember Ernie Watson ??

Hey, du mentioned him first.

Yeah I remember him for sure. 5 goals against Whitedale and 4 against Thistle in the space o a week or two. He kent whar da back o da net wis.

Ness voted him their Player of the Year that season after he went home tae Berwick. I heard he was absolutely delighted and really enjoyed his too short spell in Shetland fitba.

There we go, Wheest has mentioned a few players I widda included if I'd spent more time thinking aboot it. No offence meant. Another one worthy of a mention is Peter Keenan.

Hey, du mentioned him first.

Yeah I remember him for sure. 5 goals against Whitedale and 4 against Thistle in the space o a week or two. He kent whar da back o da net wis.

Ness voted him their Player of the Year that season after he went home tae Berwick. I heard he was absolutely delighted and really enjoyed his too short spell in Shetland fitba.

I played in both those matches. The one against Whitedale was an incredible performance. I think Ness started the match without him, as he couldn't find the pitch !!

If Ness could have had him upfront, with Kenny Malcolmson, Gordon Lawson and Ewan Odie in midfield (who chose to play for Spurs and Thistle instead of Ness), they would have walked the league.

Mind you I wouldn't have got a game if that was the case. :wink:

Some names already mentioned but I canna let them go unmentioned.

George Leask - touch of class, always had oodles of time on the ball

Graeme Sutherland (Jack Halcrow's nephew) - Again a class player

Paul Regan - did he not score all the goals in the 1983(ish) inter counties? I.e. senior AND junior? Class.

Davie Johnston - I faced a penalty o' his wance 8O

John Naismith - played for Sandwick juveniles in the 70s and buggered off before he could make much impact on the local scene but again head and shoulders abune da rest o wis.

Jeez, I could be here aa nicht!!

What aboot dem?

No team (again) in the top flight of Shetland football. New facilities at Boddam, Sandwick and Cunningsburgh and no football team?

In times past it has to be said that they have flitted in and out of the top flight on occasion and the last time it lasted more tha a yera or two there better players were past it in Shetland terms (kenny Malcomson and Lawson etc)

What aboot dem?

No team (again) in the top flight of Shetland football. New facilities at Boddam, Sandwick and Cunningsburgh and no football team?

In times past it has to be said that they have flitted in and out of the top flight on occasion and the last time it lasted more tha a yera or two there better players were past it in Shetland terms (kenny Malcomson and Lawson etc)

It's a shame that a lot of the Ness boys chose to play for Lerwick teams in the recent past, and as you say, came back to Ness to get a game when they were over the hill and couldn't get a game for the Lerwick team.

In the 1950's and 1960's when the Ness boys stuck together, and played for their local club, they had a very successful team.

So really, the best Ness players were from that era, and you are possibly too young to remember them.

I forgive you !! :wink: