Do you get lonely on Shetland?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

LOL!

That is what made this island great - insular people lik wir Ertie here!

Please do not pay too much attention to this guy, there are a still a few people who think like this but thankfully not too many (unfortunately lots like to hide behind the anonymity of a forum like this) Like what has been said on this post, if you want to get involved in the community then you will find lots of friends.

Good luck!

like all the incomers that come in and take over and tell us how shetland should be run . makes it no fun we dont go south and try run there places maybe we should and see if they like it

:lol:

I know plenty of Shetlanders who have influential positions 'south', and the natives there don't seem to mind

But perhaps influential positions on the mainland should only be for folk born on the mainland. We should know our place, stay here and recall these meddlesome Shetlanders back from 'south'. After all, it's none of our business what goes on down there

Or maybe we could operate some sort of 'one in, one out' immigration policy? That way it would be a fair balance of us going south, trying to run their places and seeing if they like it, and them coming here and doing the same. Hmmm, but there's more of them that us, so that's not fair....

It's really difficult to know how to minimise the impact of these interfering soothmoothers and their fancy sooth ways. Let's go the whole hog; banish the interlopers and make Shetland an incomer free Hjaltlandic Utopia! :wink:

I moved away to the peace and quiet of a city, big enough you could disappear if you wanted. small enough that you could aways find someone you knew if you just looked. Folk used to laugh when I said I moved down partly for the peace and quiet.

I'm not lonely now I've moved back up, I just miss having neighbours. Waa's is still a pretty twisted place, not even sure the Gibby Law's burn thing even applies any more, never really been anywhere that's quite so back stabbing, this house isn't speaking to that house, half this family isn't speak to that half, and you never want to get involved.

I miss having a village green, watching the kids play football or cricket, most of the village playing rounders on fine festival days. can't imagine the folk round here out playing anything together apart from war games with live ammo (if half of them could drag themselves away fae the telly or computer). I suppose as the local school closed down, then the shop there's less to keep the community together.

Hmmm, and Shetland is one place in the UK where the Government is not allowed to walk in and repatriate the good folk of Thailand on a whim!

Our little village has a huge, diverse mix of folk from "sooth", folk born and bred in the houses they occupy, folk from the Antipodes, Europe (various places) and, Heaven forfend, the Outer Hebrides ;) ;) but, we all get on really well, nobody takes over anything or tries to run it single handed.

If you were to drop into any house here, on a winters night, you'd get your eight oclocks in any of those houses.

If you were in a spot of bother one phone call would get you a workforce willing to help.

You cannot get along with everyone, you cannot see eye to eye with everyone, all we can do is try not to step on each others toes.

ETA, whose head's going in the Kishie then? ;)

The locals is getting out numbered by all the incomers shetland is not what it used to be . it should be you need local connections to be allowed to move here . only reason shetland is now lonely not enough locals left we are out numbered by all the incomers .

Aah.

Ertie, Ertie, I thought this sort of thing was dying out. It's a sort of Shetland version of the BNP's worldview.

We've always taken on and absorbed our incomers - those that like it stay, are often changed by Shetland and change Shetland a little bit in turn. Those that don't care for it take what they can and move on, such is the way of the world.

From the mesolithic hunter gatherers who may have been the first to land here and the Picts, Finns, Vikings, Europeans, Scots and all the others who've passed through or settled, we're all incomers of some sort - where are you going to set the bar for qualification?

I myself only qualify through your "local connections" proviso. My old man had to leave Shetland in the 60's, as did many other young men and women, to find a trade and steady work. Luckily for him those mainland types were much more welcoming than yourself and he, his brother and his friends found themselves Sooth wives and started producing families. As soon as the economic situation started to improve in Shetland he was able to move the lot of us quicksmart back "home" and his Sooth wife and bairns have never looked back.

Being a Shetlander doesn't make you good and an incomer bad. I've met plenty of Shetlanders who I'd struggle to find a good word to say about, Soothmoothers who I'd count amongst the finest people I know and vice versa as well. I don't pre-label them according to origin as you get all sorts wherever you go. Try judging people on their merits and after you've done that, if they don't meet your standards, maybe then you can try just ignoring them as you say in your second post - it may be the kindest thing you can do.

like all the incomers that come in and take over and tell us how shetland should be run . makes it no fun we dont go south and try run there places maybe we should and see if they like it . i am not hiding behind a post name as i ignore them face to face aswell .

Just seen your adverts ertiewast06

So I take it you wouldn't let an incomer cast your peats or build your stone wall then?

As I re-read the posts from Lonely in Shetland...I was saddened by many who felt that incomers were annoying and wanted to change the culture. Then I had to sit back and realize that we do the same here in rural America...I feel for all who love the historic culture of Sheltand. Protect it through your involvement with one another, do not let the incomers ruin what you have. I am envious! We have let too many big city folk determine what our future will be...now we are becoming a destitute ghost town.

:(

like all the incomers that come in and take over and tell us how shetland should be run . makes it no fun we dont go south and try run there places maybe we should and see if they like it . i am not hiding behind a post name as i ignore them face to face aswell .

Just seen your adverts ertiewast06

So I take it you wouldn't let an incomer cast your peats or build your stone wall then?

Well, that counts me out. I've always wanted to have a go at raising peats, just to try it once, so I offered my services on a voluntary basis. I retract my offer of assistance since I am suffering from the horrible affliction of being a vile soothmoother.

Sorry Ertie - I won't be helping you. Best of luck with some locally bred folk.