Wanting to move to Shetland

jenesequa

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exchanging the big smoke for the Shetland Isles, think I've heard that one before.

Few things that people moving to the islands need to understand.

1) You don't have to appear on STV news, it may seem that way whenever Shetland is on tele that nobody has a Shetland accent it's just they were knocked over in the rush to represent the island on TV or there were no locals nearby when the camera crew set up the tripod.

2) Don't try and add Shetland words to your sentences, there is nothing more cringeworthy than someone not from shetland saying "in by" when referring to the lounge or "ower yundroo" when referring to the field behind the house on their croft, the sensation of hearing it can be equated to fingernails being dragged down a blackboard.

3) They know fuel is expensive, please don't highlight it further when filling your motor up.

4) There isn't a cinema and yes it is simply terrible that there isn't a Fellini festival every other week and yes a punnet of peaches from the Somerfield are more expensive than daaaaannnn sarf.

5) Don't expect the young couple you outbid when buying your house to be nice to you.

Take heed of that and you'll fit in no probs at all :D

NO CINEMA SOUNDS IDEAL I HATE CITIES AND THE EXPANSE THAT SURROUND THE ISLANDS SOUNDS LIKE HEAVEN PLUS THE SCENERY IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL

Firstly don't shout :lol:

Secondly, prepare yourself for the weather because it's unpredicatable and never particularly hot. Many a time I've ventured home in the summer and find myself astounded to see children running about in shorts and t-shirt when I've got my jacket on. :shock:

Thirdly, the isolation may sound great but it can get to folks over time.

^^

Some punctuation, and a proper use of upper case might have made the OPs' reply more coherent.

But I hæ tæ agree dat da "expanse that suround the islands" (da sea) "sounds like heaven".

Especially in da hert o' winter when da spundrifft is rattlin' aff da windows.

^^

Some punctuation, and a proper use of upper case might have made the OPs' reply more coherent.

But I hæ tæ agree dat da "expanse that suround the islands" (da sea) "sounds like heaven".

Especially in da hert o' winter when da spundrifft is rattlin' aff da windows.

Wilks, why are you talking about a person as if they aren't there when you are responding to their thread? What do you intend by the initials 'OP"?

I also wonder why you are using the "æ" sound here? Surely that's an odd bit of phonetics in itself, especially when slating someone else's grammar? :? :wink:

Why any one would want to leave the UK and move to the Antartic is beyond me.

Antarctic even? ;)

That would be the South Shetland Islands.

Only further advice I would give is to refrain from referring to the islands as 'The Shetlands'. The proper term is simply 'Shetland' or 'The Shetland Islands' ;)

Or, if you want to be formal, Hjaltland. ;)