Wanting to move to Shetland

jenesequa

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have nothing to your name and your family is down south then I would respectfully suggest that you should stay on the mainland to build up your self-esteem and funds before you think of coming here in order that you, at least, don't arrive completely empty-handed. There are many lovely areas on the mainland, perhaps in mainland Scotland, where you would be able to travel from to see your children far more cheaply than if you were living here.

It is great to have a dream of living somewhere but some practicality is also important. I wish you well.

Shetland is great, there is plenty of work about but to come empty pocketed wouldn't be the best move. If it were me and you were detremined to do it I'd buy an old van/minibus and do it out as a camper. Very easily and simply done if you're on your own and happy with basics, done it myself in the past. Loads of places to stay over hassle free if you're sensible and considerate and all you need is fule and food money.

Renting is very pricy unless you're lucky, being single makes it a bit easier as there are often people looking for some one to share a property.

Seeing family and kids is expensive as people have said. For example the cheapest way for me to get my daughter, partner and grand-daughter up here for a week cost neigh on £500 return. That's train to Aberdeen from Saltburn and flight from Aberdeen, ferry is cheaper but a long trip after driving up the country. WE're goign back sooth in the summer for a fortnight and taking the car on the ferry plus a cabin (got a 2 year old) and kennel for the dog is around £350 plus the petrol.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CyprusPluto

Go for it Jenesequa. I moved to Shetland a year ago from Manchester. The place is wonderful. Weather can be dreadful, but that becomes part of its appeal and if it was hot and sunny all the time, everyone would be here and it wouldn't be lovely any more. Winter was harsh, but you just have to adapt; the last few weeks have been lovely.

As someone stated earlier rents can be expensive, especially in and around the town and if you go further out, fuel costs can be high.

Getting a job is like anywhere else. I came to a job, but depending on what you do if you don't like it, you can feel trapped due to the islands size.

Like anywhere there are pros and cons, but I won't be leaving just yet, if ever!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

First post on here and apologies for long list of questions, hubby and I have house on the market and when sold (fingers crossed soon) we will be on our way to Shetland :) Here goes:

1. Best property solicitor and can they do the selling of our house in England as well? Don't really want to have 2 solicitors.

2. Island cars, what are the rules and regs for this?

3. Is there someone (private or company) who can look at property on our behalf? (We can't leave our animals)

4. What is the availability of DIY goods (we expect to buy a distressed home) and where from?

5. Does Shetland have LETs? (Local Exchange Trading) where everyones skill whether a lawyer or a dog walker is the same value?

6. Who has the flight contract for Shetland? Getting mixed results when googling.

Any other hints or tips you can share will be gratefully received. Thanks again

[*** Mod edit - threads merged ***]

Some answers

1. I would doubt if a Scottish solicitor could do work in England

2. RUles and regs for mainland Shetland (and Orkney) are the same as mainland UK. Some small islands have relaxed rules for vehicles used only on those islands

4. Hay & Co and LBC are the builders merchants

http://www.buildbase.co.uk/pages/branchinfo.asp?id=128

http://www.lerwickbuildingcentre.co.uk/

6. Flybe actually operate flights to Shetland, franchised from Loganair. Your destination airport for Shetland is Sumburgh LSI.

http://www.flybe.com/?WT.mc_id=g1&gclid=CN7D1uqOmqsCFVBlfAodFTW5gg

Some of your questions are a little irrelevant if you are moving to Orkney.

1. English and Scottish law is different. You'd be best to use different solicitors that are experts in the law of their own country.

4. As an island 12 hours away from the mainland, we have mostly everything you need available on the island. It might be more expensive and there is likely to be less variety, but you should find something that will suit. Anything else can be ordered in.

5. It used to, not sure it is still on the go.

6. Flybe.

:oops: Put moving to Orkney as opposed to moving to Shetland....My bad!! Just another question...I have 6 grown up kids, 4 of whom are showing interest in moving to Shetland with us (they are on rubber bands they keep coming back...lol) Hubby works in IT from home and I am going to be a housewife (tongue in cheek, as have always worked). What are the job prospects for young adults on say Whalsay? ( My fave island so far)

:oops: Put moving to Orkney as opposed to moving to Shetland....My bad!! Just another question...I have 6 grown up kids, 4 of whom are showing interest in moving to Shetland with us (they are on rubber bands they keep coming back...lol) Hubby works in IT from home and I am going to be a housewife (tongue in cheek, as have always worked). What are the job prospects for young adults on say Whalsay? ( My fave island so far)

To answer your question about Whalsay the job prospects are about zero, apart from a fish factory.

If I was you I would think twice about moving to Shetland because the golden years are over and the financial chickens are coming home to roost, especially with the Shetland Council(450 jobs to go).

What you haven't been told or seen on tv is that Shetland has a serious drugs and alchohol problem. But if you want to bring children into that, that's your choice. The weather here is dreadful 80% of the year. I live in Lerwick which is (on) the mainland. A kid is a baby goat.

The cold reality is that as many people leave Shetland every year as what come and for many it's because life here just wasn't what they thought it would be.

I'm just trying to bring a bit of reality to your "dream" but as you will probably see I'll get shot down in flames for doing that....

There's been a few similar threads - might be worth searching the forum and doing some reading, here's one for a start..

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4101&highlight=moving

Might also be worth you trying to explain why you want to move to Shetland, that might help with the responses.

Word of warning though, not everyone on Shetlink is as positive and upbeat as Kavi...

Thank you Kavi for correcting me re: the true meaning of KID, perhaps someone else will enlighten me about the meaning of you quote: 'the financial chicken :wink: lol

You may think we have rose coloured glasses on but we brought our 6 kids (small humans now grown up) up and fought all kinds of moral battles along the way. Shetland doesn't have the monopoly on drugs etc. As far as jobs etc it was a genuine question and my youngest is still at Uni, 1 is a plumber, 1 a chef and another an events co-ordinator/license holder, eldest is a district nurse and eldest son serves in the forces. The weather has no real impact on our reasons for choosing Shetland and neither has the negative sale techniques we have witnessed on various threads on this forum. Most of the threads have been a joy, a good laugh to read and very informative. I may have missed a thread or 2 and if my questions have already been answered then apologies :oops: Must do better at researching.

Our reasons for moving to Shetland are complex yet very simple. We want to fulfill a lifelong dream (ours not yours Kevi) of living our way with out conforming to large town/city social expectations. I am also losing my eysight and hearing before I do I want to experience and live before I have to be limited (to an extent). We also want to create a better life for our animals, we have 21 rescued ferrets, a rescued skunk, 2 rescue cat and a wee poodle.

To answer your question about Whalsay the job prospects are about zero, apart from a fish factory.

If I was you I would think twice about moving to Shetland because the golden years are over and the financial chickens are coming home to roost, especially with the Shetland Council(450 jobs to go).

What you haven't been told or seen on tv is that Shetland has a serious drugs and alchohol problem. But if you want to bring children into that, that's your choice. The weather here is dreadful 80% of the year. I live in Lerwick which is (on) the mainland. A kid is a baby goat.

The cold reality is that as many people leave Shetland every year as what come and for many it's because life here just wasn't what they thought it would be.

I'm just trying to bring a bit of reality to your "dream" but as you will probably see I'll get shot down in flames for doing that....

I won't shoot you down Kavi, that is the reality in my opinion as well.

Kazza, seems to be plenty of work in the building trade at the moment so i think there should be something out there for a plumber and the same for a chef and nurse. Events co-ordinator(is that a real job :wink: ) i'm not so sure.

Whalsay is a great island but i don't think job prospects are very good, someone will correct me if they know different.

Goodluck

Good for you wanting to make such a big move!!

My only suggestion would be to keep in mind how expensive it can be to live on one of the smaller islands, eg. A ferry trip with car and 2 passengers is more than £10 to Whalsay.

This can put a lot of strain on your kids if they will be commuting to work, which they almost certainly will be if they keep in their trades. I don't think a plumber would have any trouble at all finding a job at the moment although the others might have more problems. The job market up here is a little tricky at the moment, a lot of people are "jumping ship" from the council before the redundencies are figured out. This means there are more people going for every job available and it is VERY competitive right now. Hopefully this will all calm down again soon though, and not just for you, I'm in the market for a new job myself.

My families business is a local solicitor in Shetland and although I don't think they would be able to "sell" your house in England I think they would be able to handle the rest, I also think they would help with finding a home for you, if you want any more info you can pm me for contact details.

Happy to help