Wanting to move to Shetland

jenesequa

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The attempted sodomy incident on a male teen was not of course something I witnessed but it was reported in media , briefly of course. It certainly took bullying to a new low

I did not say I had a bad time I said once I left I realised most incomers spend their time up there convincing themselves it's great, as the move back is horrendously costly

I have good few Shetland mates who agree with me btw

The 12 yeas I lived in Shetland were not all bad. A walk on st ninians isle helped cope with the boredom. I would not say drugs was issue it's drink, even when I lived in highlands was tame in comparison. Only peterheed could compete ! I think most folk comparing Shetland to living in England clearly lived in unfriendly places, scotland is uber friendly , all the places I lived in Scotland were friendly , shetland was most introverted community.

Well I lived in Grangemouth/Falkirk for two years and I personally found there the complete opposite of friendly, often people were downright hostile. Introverted? Not quite sure how, I get the impression that most communities in Shetland, especially the more rural areas, have quite a good community spirit and plenty of local events. An example of friendliness, one of our neighbours, no relation or family ties, just came by with a gift of a bucket of crabs he'd caught today for no reason other than he had more than he needed and we live nearby.

Adon. You obviously don't like Shetland, all your posts since you have joined the forum are putting the place down and telling us just how bad (and backward) we all are compared to Scotland.

If that's your attitude and if your postings on here are an example of your discussions with the natives up here, then it should hardly come as a shock when people don't want anything to do with you. And I seriously doubt your assertions regarding incomers moving back in droves, based upon my own observations.

You've moved away physically, may I suggest you move away mentally as well? Severing all ties with a place you dislike would be a logical step to take if I were you. Logging off here permanently would do wonders for restoring balance in your humours.....

Unless of course, as I suspect, you're just out for mischief.....

Main things are make sure you do all your homework there is good and bad things about living in Shetland and many of those things have been mentioned on this forum.

There are quite a few people that move up here expecting the "good life", (which there is to be had ) only to find its not there version of it and return south within a year.

This does however have a negative effect on Shetland, mainly being in the housing market.

People moving from south tend to be willing to pay a goodbit more than market value to secure there dream move, which of course inflates an over inflated market here, which in turn effects first time buyers usually young shetlanders.

So please think carefully before taking the plunge.

:D

I've been in Shetland for a little over two years now (after spending a large part of my life abroad, as well as the SW, NW & Midlands) and have to say that this is probably one the best places in the UK I've lived in for quality.

Some crime headlines seen in The Shetland News wouldn't even warrant a mention in many mainland local newspapers unless they were really scraping the spoon that scraped the barrel.

OK, the weather can be miserable at times, as can the short winter days, but anyone considering moving here would be aware of that if they were to do a little basic research beforehand. There is plenty to compensate for that - look at the music events and motor/motorcycle rallies as well as many cultural festivals for example. Sports and adult further educational facilities are excellent.

Shetland's obviously not perfect: air fares can be very expensive, even with the Air Discount Scheme, fuel is shamefully overpriced and some local businesses (especially shipping) need a firm kick in the grass regarding customer service. It's infuriating to wait for a week or more for parcels to be delivered from the Aberdeen depot when they've only taken two days to be sent there from Germany, to quote just one instance.

The company I work for has given up with using one courier in particular and another parts supplier took so long to get back to us regarding an expensive order that we eventually gave up and ordered the same item from Ebay that arrived within a few days and was much cheaper.

As for friendliness, Shetlanders take some beating in my experience; I've never met a more social group in my life, the barriers aren't long in coming down. Try some parts of south-west England or Wales if you want to see what a chilly reception can be.

One more thing - the view from my lounge window can't be bought by any multi-millionaire living in London.

Cammara could not agree more. In the 12 years in Shetland I saw so many people come up and leave as it was nothing like they imagined.

Klanky you clearly ignored the positives I posted about Shetland i think i said it is the most beautiful place in terms of scenery, and I never used the word backward, unlike a lot of incomers I did make friends with likeminded shetlanders, I just found there was a dourness about folk generally, very little interest in others, introverted.

I am a people person and found Shetland wasn't. My Shetland pals told me the real stuff that went on behind he soothmoothers backs, many incomers are too naive to see it.

Oh and the isles do attract a strange type of people, often people who due to their issues, lifestyle, beliefs or personality would not do well in a more dynamic populated part of the uk. Often folk running away from problems etc no bad thing and the money and services you get up in Shetland for having a disability etc are second to none.

Good thing about Shetland is you can get a job with limited skills , one you would never even get short listed for anywhere else. In my time there the sic was being run by people with very limited experience. Maybe it's changed now?

Hey esseff yeh I was same as you initially but the long haul in Shetland is a different story. Once you have been to your 50th hall dance, all same folk in same seats, drank in the lounge same folk in same seats and been to yet another play wi same folk in the same roles, etc it all get too samey.

I suppose if you were a birder or geologist would be different.I was keen cyclist before went to Shetland by gave up due to wind, rain and too many fast mental drivers!

I know Shetland probably is a lot friendlier Than many parts of england or Wales, but compared o rest o Scotland I don't think it is.

Nice scenery though :D

Hey esseff yeh I was same as you initially but the long haul in Shetland is a different story. Once you have been to your 50th hall dance, all same folk in same seats, drank in the lounge same folk in same seats and been to yet another play wi same folk in the same roles, etc it all get too samey.

I suppose if you were a birder or geologist would be different.I was keen cyclist before went to Shetland by gave up due to wind, rain and too many fast mental drivers!

I know Shetland probably is a lot friendlier Than many parts of england or Wales, but compared o rest o Scotland I don't think it is.

Nice scenery though :D

Well I have to say my experience is somewhat different. I have lived in various areas in Scotland and have to admit I found them very unfriendly places to live. I lived next door to people who never spoke to me in 10 years. I do mean never and that is despite trying to talk to them.

In less than two days everyone in my street here had spoken to me. That speaks volumes.

Well I have to say my experience is somewhat different. I have lived in various areas in Scotland and have to admit I found them very unfriendly places to live. I lived next door to people who never spoke to me in 10 years. I do mean never and that is despite trying to talk to them.

In less than two days everyone in my street here had spoken to me. That speaks volumes.

:lik:

I have lived here in Kendal for 25 years and can count the number of times I have been in any neighbours house easily on the fingers of one hand. Looking forward to moving up the road...

Shetland life is what you make it, I dont believe that programmes shown on TV about "Island" life and de-population attracts the best Island Dwellers as newcombers, simply those who think everthing will be great, but not so, you have to work at it.

As someone on here stated, you have to weigh up the good and bad in any place, not just Shetland.

I do believe Shetalnd has more to offer in the positive than negative, I love going home for short breaks, I am in love with the idea of returning on a permanent basis, but I'm sure after a short while I would feel that its still a little too remote for me?

BUT I LOVE GOING HOME!

Is the Shetland Welcome for real? Of course it is, we may refer to you as Sooth Moothers, but its not a racist remark by any imagination, its just a geographical statement.

I do feel annoyed at the amount of non-shetland speakers you hear on Da Street these days, but that's life. There are far more things to do in Shetland these days then there ever was, so what if its the same people at each event, at least you know their names! Cheers everybody!

It's infuriating to wait for a week or more for parcels to be delivered from the Aberdeen depot when they've only taken two days to be sent there from Germany, to quote just one instance.

Still better than to be waiting for a parcel which had been sent from Jersey to Germany... it took exactly one full month :wink:

@Adon

I also consider myself as a future incomer (if finally all the paperwork about the house will be sorted out). Whether I am a strange type of people who is attracted by the islands I don't know. Perhaps I am.

But I don't think I am naive.

Shetland does certainly have it's problems like other places have. If there is a drug and alcohol problem that is infact a pity, but whether you live in a small Bavarian village, in a big city or on a remote Shetland island there will always be people who drink or take drugs. But as long as I don't have to consume any...

I have lived several years on the Western Isles. Due to the fact that on Sunday life on Lewis was very "quiet" and there was not much people could do because almost everything was considered as an offence to Lord's day (as Sunday is often called there) some people went to church in the morning and got pissed afterwards behind closed doors. I had to accept this like they had to tolerate that we went windsurfing on a Sunday. Still we had a very good neighbourhood and a good community spirit.

Of course it's sad if people waste their life consuming drugs but does that have so much influence on other peoples life that a region is not worth living there?

I don't think so.

And: Remote communities are often close-knit (hope this is the right word) and might sometimes be a bit reserved but is that not normal?

When I came up last year to view a property on one of the remoter islands I met many of my future neighbours. And it was a very warm welcome indeed. I am looking forward to finally moving.