jenesequa

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would be the best area to move within the islands:-

a) to find a job

B) to rent accomadation

As far as work goes I can do just about anything from barwork to office work to labouring.

All suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated

B)

Hi jenesequa! In terms of peace and quiet and beautiful, rugged scenery > you would do worse than join us in Northmavine. :) There's a community website and forum for the area - see sig at bottom.

Northmavine is an area which is being regenerated at the moment and we would welcome new blood! :) The downside is that there are not many jobs in the area at the moment, although hopefully more might come in the future. Although, having said that, there is very little unemployment with people tending to go outwith Northmavine to work. If you were self-employed or had ideas for creating work or your own job in the area then even better.

The local development group are doing a survey just now into future housing needs. If anyone outwith Northmavine thinks they may want to move into the area within the next 5 years, then please fill in the online survey.

http://www.northmavine.com/housing_survey2.htm

Good luck with your move if you decide to go ahead!

Fifi >

And we do get movies, albeit without popcorn or tasty nachos with cheese for sale at exorbitant prices :P The garrison theatre runs big movies via the Film Club, and the NAFC college runs films in a lecture theatre for them too.

So you can still catch a lot of the more popular movies, it's just a bit more limited, economical and dare i say 'healthy'! :wink:

Having said that, there is nowhere i can throw money away on nachos and cheese as a snack :(...... but, then again, home made ones are better anyway! 8)

The garrison theatre runs big movies via the Film Club, and the NAFC college runs films in a lecture theatre for them too.

Hi, that's not quite correct, the Garrison Movies (the weekends of big movies shown monthly) are run by Film Mobile Scotland Ltd. FMS is a commercial venture that comes up once a month in association with Shetland Arts. The Film Club show their movies at the NAFC lecture theatre, a facility for which they pay.

Now, what is coming, starting 16th January (I think) is a programme of cult/classic films in the Garrison, AKA "Film Wednesday" - the idea is to fill all available free Wednesdays at the Garrison with digitally projected movies. Shetland Arts are putting these on. The program is quite varied and will give a the public the chance to see some of the biggest films in a 'cinema'. Movies like Dr Zhivago which I've never seen on a big screen (other than my TV) - Zhivago is set for February (on or close to Valentine's Day).

The programme starts with Casablanca and there are many others such as "Lawrence of Arabia", "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Ringu" (fantastic Japanese horror!), the 1980 cult "Flash Gordon" and more scheduled. The choice of films is based on the market survey questionnaire circulated back in September prior to the Screenplay film festival. For those of you into popcorn there is hope that bags of the movie going essential will be sold too! Sadly not fresh, and no nachos :-( I'm told that the press release will be going out very soon.

Personally I'd like to see the Pink Floyd concert "Pulse" on a huge screen with surround sound and a showing of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show". I'd also like to see "Dances with Wolves" to get the artistry of the big skies and open landscapes.

Should be fun!

lol for all those people who replied to my messages a big big thankyou .also to all tose people who said visit it in winter to be certain..WWeeell.. if you referring to the cold than i used to work in the freezers mius 30c and it never bothered me and as for snow in winter ir sounds like heaven and as far as being bored goes ... again I love the peace and quiet me and a book are great company . Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I would be able to rent a room or flat that wont cost more than i could earn Also any ideas on where I could find a job.I can work in any job from admin to labouring even barwork .

A big thanx to all you people who have been kind enough to reply to my messages .

All the best from Doncaster

It has already been said but I suggest you try visiting here first. Working in sub zero temperatures in a cold store is one thing, walking into an 80mph gale with sideways sleet and rain is another. Trust me I have done both.

As for accommodation...most privately owned places that are central to where you might end up working tend to be on the pricey side. If you can get council accommodation then that is probably your best bet. We have a housing agency called Hjaltland that offer rental at much the same cost but waiting lists tend to be high.

There is a way to try living here before you commit yourself to moving. The bigger hotels in Lerwick do have staff accommodation so you could work for a while before making a decision. That said there is not going to be much of that sort of work over the winter but you could still try.

Other than that fish factories and supermarkets are usually needing workers but privately rented accommodation is relatively expensive here and you could well be looking at several years on the waiting list for a council or housing association place.

It has already been said but I suggest you try visiting here first. Working in sub zero temperatures in a cold store is one thing, walking into an 80mph gale with sideways sleet and rain is another. Trust me I have done both.

You're right it is best to live there through the winter. Somebody said some of us were highlighting the negative aspects, they're far from negative they're realistic. The weather can be bad in winter, the days are very short that far north and although being isolated in a quiet part of Shetland sounds great the reality of it may be somewhat different.

Seriously if I was the OP I would try and live there through the winter months, if they like it then the rest of the year is no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all again not posted reply or long time ,so first of all happynew year to everyone.Secondly Ive made up my mind touch wood im gonna make my move in april/may tme .Relationship with wife fallen apart so nothing keeping me in \doncaser anymore .Im gonna say sausage it and once enough money in bank gonna load up car and move up .Might even buy a caravan to live in llol and fetch that with me as well .

Might even buy a caravan to live in llol and fetch that with me as well .

Anchor it down well! I would suggest that you endure a winter before deciding to make the final move. I moved up in late november and found the weather exhilerating (spelling?). Personally I prefer the winter though, but you need to experience the wind before even thinking about staying in a caravan - unless you've got on that floats that is...

Ive made up my mind touch wood im gonna make my move in april/may tme .Relationship with wife fallen apart so nothing keeping me in \doncaser anymore .Im gonna say sausage it and once enough money in bank gonna load up car and move up .Might even buy a caravan to live in llol and fetch that with me as well .

Hmph.... Another one headed for a council house in Mossbank.

I wander if he will get a walking stick, and go hirpling along the street with the rest of them!