Recipes

mogling

Just found a brilliant recipe for those lovely Swedish ginger biscuits - works brilliant- except it makes loads... dough lasted 3 days worth of batches so far, and loads left yet!!

The thinner you roll them, the crispier- if you roll them thicker, they're more like Gingerbread men / chewier...

Swedish Gingersnaps (Pepparkaron)

Ingredients

350 grams (12 oz.) butter

450 ml (2 cups) sugar

200 ml (1 cup) dark corn syrup

1 1/2 tablespoons ginger

1 1/2 tablespoons cardamom

1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon

1 tablespoon cloves

300 ml (1 1/2 cups) whipping cream

1 tablespoon baking soda

900 grams (9 cups) sifted all-purpose flour

Preparation

Cream the butter together with the sugar, syrup and spices. Add the cream whipped to a soft foam. Mix the baking soda with half of the flour and to the batter. Gradually add the remaining flour. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Roll out a little dough at a time directly on a large baking sheet with a nonstick finish. Roll the dough as thin as possible and cut with desired biscuit cutters into rounds, hearts, stars, pigs or other figures. Remove excess dough from the baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, or until beautifully brown. Set the baking sheet on a wire rack; remove the biscuits when cool.

If desired, decorate the biscuits with white icing. Beat together 400 ml (2 cups) powdered sugar, 1 egg white and 1 teaspoon white vinegar. Fill an icing tube, or paper cone with fine opening, with the icing and garnish the biscuits. Or decorate with blanched almonds before baking.

• 1 year later...

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

a small splash of vanilla extract

1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

This recipe is great if you've got friends coming over for supper, it's quick, simple and very effective.

Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients

1 sheet dried egg noodles

1 tbsp oil

2 chicken breasts

1 onion sliced thinly

2 teaspoons garlic paste

1 teaspoon ginger paste

1and a half pints of chicken stock (made on stock cube)

200mls coconut milk

1 tsp red Thai curry paste

3 tbsp peanut butter

2 tbsp soy sauce

frozen peas (or sweetcorn)

Heat oil in large wok or pan and fry meat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a minute or two. Add stock, coconut milk, curry paste, peanut butter and soy sauce. Bring to boil and simmer for about 5 mins. Add frozen veg and noodles (break them up) and simmer for a further 10 mins.

I also use turkey or pork in this recipe. If I'm making this for friends coming over I make the whole thing earlier on in the day but leave out the noodles. Then I just heat it up and add the noodles otherwise I find if you make the whole thing and reheat it goes a bit thick.

This amounts should do 4 people. But if they are really hungry and you think it's not going to be enough just bung in some more noodles, water and the rest of the coconut milk out of the tin.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good recipe if you are not in the mood for tattie soup but still have plenty of reestit mutton.

My husband told me of this recipe and don't know if it is made anywhere else in Shetland.

Roast Kale and Reestit Mutton.

Ingredients:

Reestit mutton sliced or chops

Onions cut into chunks

Neeps " " "

Carrotts sliced

Cabbage

Place reestit mutton in base of roast tin with all the vegetables except the cabbage on top. Pour over just enough boiling water to cover meat but not veg. Season with pepper. Place in oven 180 C for about an hour. Take a small cabbage and slice into quarters. Place on top of other vegetables, baste with liquid and cook for a further 40 mins.

Eat with boiled tatties.

The reestit mutton puts a lovely flavour on all the vegetables and you can put in anything you like.

Strangely enough, this Cream of Vegetable Soup recipe was one I picked up from a first year home ec cookbook back in high school. I've since lost the actual recipe but I can more or less mind it - at least it's turned out okay the last few times I've made it :)

Ingredients:

Butter (substitute for oiling the pan)

1 cup diced potato

3/4 cup diced turnip

1/2 cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced carrot

500ml stock (chicken preferably, veg will do instead if required)

Milk

Chopped parsley to garnish (optional)

Method:

Melt butter in pot on a low heat

After dicing vegetables, sautee them - recommended order is turnip, carrot, potato, onion

Pour in the chicken stock

Leave to simmer for half an hour

After vegetables have simmered in stock, blend ingredients. Either a handheld blender or a proper big one can be used

Add milk, put back on heat and stir

Sprinkle with parsley to garnish

Serve :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're having a dinner party and you want to spice it up a bit, try my 'Apples with Weetabix filling'

Ingredients:

5 Golden Delicious/Granny Smith apples (depends how many people are in your party.)

2 tablespoons of butter.

4 Weetabix biscuits

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

and a tablespoon of honey.

1. Peel, core and chop the apples in and put them in a bowl of cold water.

2. Crush the weetabix biscuits and add the cinnamon, then mix.

3. Get a small pan, put the butter in the pan and turn the cooker on a medium heat.

4. When the butter is melted, add the weetabix mixture and honey to it, then mix.

5. Take the apples out of the water and place them on a plate. Take a tablespoon and a teaspoon to spoon the mixture into the apples.

Note: Take half a tablespoon of the mixture and use the teaspoon to scrape the mixture.

6. Place the apples on a baking tray, set the oven to 200 celsius and put the apples in for 10mins.

It's lovely and sweet and the plates would be empty!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to find a good dipping sauce for pakora's and the like but never ever found a really good one....until now. very simple to make.

200ml natural yoghurt

50-100ml tomato ketchup (depends how sweet you want it)

1 teaspoon mint sauce

1 teaspoon salt

0.5 - 1 teaspoon of chilli powder (depends how hot you want it...or add a few more drops of tabasco if you want it super hot)

mix, chill....and eat with whatever....my kids like it with chicken dippers, carrot sticks. I prefer it with pakora. Obviously adjust the quantities to suit your tastes, but it is much better than the jars and tubs you can buy from supermarkets

• 3 months later...

My twist on macaroni n cheese.

Chorizo Sausage

small onion/shallot

cherry tomatoes

Pasta of your choice

Cheese of your choice

start by getting the pasta on and boiling away.

Chop up the sausage, onion and Tomatoes.

place the sausage in a frying pan without any oil and let it fry away gently when the fat of the sausage starts to sweat out add you onions and keep on frying gently. by the time the onions are cooked the pasta should be cooked. drain the pasta and ensure all water is evaporated. Add the tomatoes to the sausage and onion mix and cook for a minute until they soften and then add the pasta to the frying pan and mix together, as mixing add grated cheese and serve immediately.

• 3 months later...

Griddle Bannocks

1lb plain flour

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1 tsp cream of tartar

1/2 tsp salt

Buttermilk - about 3/4 carton of Shetland Dairy Buttermilk

Sieve the dry ingredients together. {Sieving twice ensures a good mix}

Add buttermilk sparingly and mix with a knife until it forms a stiff dough.

Turn onto a well-floured surface, divide into 4.

Roll out to 1/2†thick, divide into quarters.

Cook on a hot {un-oiled} griddle for about 3-4 mins per side.

Oven Bannocks

1 lb S.R. flour

good pinch of salt

3 tsp baking powder

{or 2 tsp cream of tartar & 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda}

1½ - 2 oz margarine

1 egg & milk & water to make slightly under ¾ pint

Set oven to 180C, 340F Gas 4

Sieve the dry ingredients together and rub in the butter or margarine.

Mix in {enough of} the liquid to form a soft dough.

Turn out on a well-floured surface, roll to about ½ inch thick, cut into squares or use a pastry cutter.

Bake on a tray for about 10 - 15 minutes.

{Can make with half wholemeal flour too for a different texture / colour / taste}

These are the ones I've been making since I was about 12 and really started to get into cooking:

2 cups plain flour

4 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp butter

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients and rub in butter to form a fine bread crumb consistency. Add enough milk to form a dough. Roll out to 1 inch thick and cut with a circular cutter. Bake at 180 for 9 minutes (in my oven - yours may be different! :) )