Motorbikes!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should have a motorbike appreciation thread. I love motorbikes.

.....does anybody else hay a bike? Have you passed your test? Was it hard? (the test)

Motorbikes are great. I hae 2 or 3. I did pass my test but I don't know if I'd say it was hard. I'd had so many years of practice as a bairn scrambling that a lot of it was probably automatic by then. I would say that safety is maybe the biggest part of the test, much more so than for cars. There are a lot of extra safety checks you have to do wi bikes. You've got an awful lot more visual checking what's around and behind you, with the added awareness that some drivers may not see you so you have to watch for drivers pulling out of junctions in front of you. Kind of be prepared for the actions of other road users. I'd thoroughly recommend anybody to have a go and do their test. I highly recommend Shetland Motorbike Training School, they are excellent, ken their stuff and will tell you all you need to know.

Guest Anonymous

Eh, okay here goes. You ken when a motorbike guy goes aroond a corner an he puts his knee doon on da road(it's usually at high speed) tae gie a peeire bit more balance/stability?. Well, we birled aroond in a peerie tight circle wi 3 o wis on da bike until we all got wir knees doon on da groond. So you see it was a "three up knee doon". It wis a peerie bit tricky because da back guy(me) wis literally just hanging on da end o da bike, but we did get dere even if it only lasted for about half a turn o da circle. Den we crashed, weel skidded oot 8).

Guest Anonymous

Njugle, it was kinda both. Half planned and half random. If dat makes sense. Yeh, it was kinda "hey, I'm got an idea..........". An fae dere we thowt "whar's da best place tae try it?". Evil Keneval, eat dy heart oot. 8)

I think its a damned shame you get no 50cc motorbikes on the roads nowadays. The noise and smell of the oily fizzy 50's were something quite exceptional - laid flat out across the seat with your chin on the clocks just to get an extra 2 miles an hour! Now you just get crap scooters - whats wrong with people are they turning soft? Be a hard man go and get an old fizzy 50

My biking claim to infamy is that I once wiped oot a yowe wi' a C90

The C90 won? 8O Those things were made outta hurriedly recycled rusty beer cans, I doot d' yowe wisna muckle wirt afore haund. :wink:

In a period of abject poverty many years ago I was forced to rely on a C90 for a few weeks, and man, were they dire machines. Engines lasted approx 3000 miles, before they had so little compression they wouldn't even start bumping down the face of the Wart Hill, and then there was their unique cornering charm. The two wheeled equivalent of trying to dance in lead boots!

That said, I took and passed my Part 1 test on it, just don't ask how. The guy says acceleate from the line to 15mph and then stop with your front wheel in the marked square, she was barely giving me 10mph at full throttle from a standing start, before I had to brake or I'd have overshot the marked square. The Honda C90 0-50mph downhill - eventually. Oh yeah! :oops:

I think its a damned shame you get no 50cc motorbikes on the roads nowadays. The noise and smell of the oily fizzy 50's were something quite exceptional - laid flat out across the seat with your chin on the clocks just to get an extra 2 miles an hour! Now you just get crap scooters - whats wrong with people are they turning soft? Be a hard man go and get an old fizzy 50

Crap Scooters 8O

I chopped in my Goldwing (flat 6 - 1520cc) for a Honda Africa Twin (v-twin 750) and a Gilera Runner SP180 (180cc 2-stroke single).

The scooter had the shortest wheelbase possible and it was hilarious flat out on a bumpy dual carriageway overtaking some dozy twat in a mondeo on the inside at 90mph. As I am turning soft I am obviously not referring to myself :wink:

The Africa Twin sat in the garage and the Gilare got ridden to death as it was so much fun. You would just not believe the acceleration. Well there was nothing of it really. It was all plastic!

• 1 month later...

I was out at the weekend and someone on a Guzzi had been following me through Wiesdale for a while. i was racing him, but I don't think that he had any idea!

He blatted past me going down the hill past Tingwall so I got behind him and gave it an armful.

Sadly, I was riding a Honda 125 Dylan scooter so twisting the throttle just made the engine louder. It gives an impression of acceleration where there is none :oops:

I keep hoping for a lottery win. i will spend it on a longer throttle cable for the Dylan.

Which sad sap thought of a name like Dylan for F***s sake?

Which sad sap thought of a name like Dylan for F***s sake?

Dylan? Really? Never heard of.

Probably some dude wacked out on goof balls who later went on to name a 250 scooter "dougal" and the 350 lambretta lookalike "Ermintrude" :wink: