3g in Shetland?

JordanKZ

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I just pleepsin or is 3g not all its cracked up to be anyway!? :?:

It's nice if you're sooth. I wis in Glasgow just afore christmas and got a few youtube videos on the go. Before I panicked aboot goin ower me monthly limit. I wis still miles aff, but still, callin 500MB a month "unlimited" is nothing short of a blatant lie. I wonder aboot phonin offcom aboot it but I likely go ower my "unlimited" minutes phonin them.

• 6 months later...

This is a bit long winded and I am no expert, but here goes:

3G is available on O2 but mostly in and around Lerwick so probably through the Bressay transmitter.

A friend of mine has a Blackberry Mobile and she occasionally gets a 3G signal showing in Sandwick. (Within site of Bressay transmitter)

Personally I am with Vodafone who seem to have the best network coverage, but all their masts are only 2G (as far as I'm aware)

The '3' Network works off the Scalloway transmitter, but i put my parents postcode into their website (Trondra) and it said there is no 3G Mobile broadband available in this area!

The reason for my interest is I am looking to buy a 'MIFI' router, which is a bit like a mobile dongle for your laptop which gets you mobile broadband whereever you are (provided you have a signal).

'MIFI' is similar but you can use it in a car or caravan or on the move with friends to allow up to 5 devices to connect to it wirelessly.

The reason for this becomes apparent as myself, my wife, and kids will try to connect to the internet on a rainy night in the caravan us with our laptops and them with their ipods etc.

As a current and quite happy Vodafone customer I am hoping to take advantage of this new 'MIFI' technology via my current contract and just pay a few quid extra per month - dont really want to have to swap to O2 just to get mobile broadband.

Does anyone know if or when O2 and Vodafone are going to start sharing masts? and if so are they going to upgrade any more than the Bressay one to use 3G???

Or is 3G already available on vodafone here - does anyone use a vodafone dongle to power their laptop mobile broadband - if so where does it work? according to the vodafone website you cant have it here at all.

Any info or help is much appreciated as I cant get any sense out of Vodafone - seem to get a different answer everytime I ask the question?

And I'm not going to by the 'MIFI Router and up my contract without knowing that its going to work.

Cheers to any one who can shed a little light on this subject.

On a slightly separate note - Vodafone are now selling the 'Sure signal' which boosts the mobile phone signal in your house via your home broadband - you must register each mobile to it so only you / your family get the boost. Its a one off payment of £50 if you are already on a contract over £25 per month. Ideal in those rural areas where the mobile signal is weak but you will then still be able to use your texts mobile internet etc. It supposedly vastly increases the quality of phone calls, So I am considering getting one of these as the signal strength at my house is not great and there are three of us on Vodafone here.

Cheers

James

3G is available on O2 but mostly in and around Lerwick so probably through the Bressay transmitter.

The only 3G mast in Shetland is the O2 mast behind the police station in Lerwick.

Does anyone know if or when O2 and Vodafone are going to start sharing masts? and if so are they going to upgrade any more than the Bressay one to use 3G???

Sharing masts is not the same as sharing cells. As far as I'm aware there are no plans by Vodafone to upgrade to 3G. The main problem (apart from population density) is the cost and availability of bandwidth. A 3G mast needs a minimum of 20Mbps.... that ain't cheap in Shetland.

O2 have one 3G mast in Lerwick (behind the police station). No other networks have 3G capabilities in Shetland.

Previous discussion - http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4278

I'm with Vodafone and I picked up a patchy 3G service last week.

I found 3G when at the Knab and near the GBH, also occassionally picked it up in Tingwall near the school.

Best 3G signal I managed was when steaming through Lerwick harbour on the way back south again :roll:

I found the whole Vodafone service much patchier than I remember from 5-6 years ago - poss just me being used to getting a good signal where I live now?

Vodafone don't have any 3g masts. Somebody explained it in an earlier thread - when the signal gets really low then the 3G logo appears on phones for some reason..... it's like the handsets gets confused. The only way of picking up a 3g signal (on vodafone) is a leaked signal from somebody's house.

O2 only have a 3g mast because when their cell packed in they only had 3g cells in their stores that day.... :-)

The cost of bandwidth in Shetland is so high that it is impossible to make 3G work financially.

Vodafone's coverage is more patchy now than it was 5 years ago... I don't know why but I'm guessing they have changed frequencies.