3g in Shetland?

JordanKZ

sic guest also works outside most of the carecentres and sports centres. Those of us who object to the the thought of paying vodafone twice (or at all in my case) use skype for calls outside of mobile signal areas, I'm on a payg system and pay £20 a quater for an online number (0131 number)and all outgoing phone calls/texts, all in coming is free to me (though no incoming texts). On O2 myself but hardly ever use 3G up here, wifi is everywhere and just so much faster.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone help please? I sat for over an hour at Gutcher waiting for a ferry to Belmont and thought I'd try out the new free wifi access from SIC ferries; I saw the SICGUEST but it suggested that it was encrypted and required a password to be entered. Does anyone know what the password is??!! javascript:emoticon(':?')

• 4 months later...
I believe the SIC offer free wifi access from many of its sites, though the ferries and the library are the only ones that actively publicise it.

I have tried to use it on the way to Yell the other day, just to see how it worked.

And all I got was a box up asking for a password

I believe the SIC offer free wifi access from many of its sites, though the ferries and the library are the only ones that actively publicise it.

I have tried to use it on the way to Yell the other day, just to see how it worked.

And all I got was a box up asking for a password

If you leave the password blank it should work.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I used 3 in Gulberwick. Just.

It is fine in the town but not too good along the Street, proximity of the buildings I suppose.

I supect more like the radio frequenncy that 3 is licensed to use. It will never travel well.

Huge, complicated issue on what frequencies were auctioned by OFCOM years ago, new better frequecies becoming available that TV has shifted, and then you have Europe regulations comimg.

4G just adds to the legal quadmire in 2012 / 2013.

I don't usually have any sympathy for OFCOM, but whatever they do there will be the mother of all court battles lasting years and very little roll out of 3G or 4G until the the matter is resolved.

• 1 month later...

Vodafone 3g may be available here yet

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/2618-vodafone-offer-to-trial-mobile-3g.html

IMPROVED mobile phone coverage could come to at least one Shetland community if they are accepted for a trial by Vodafone.

The communications giant is looking for 12 communities across the UK to pilot the latest “femtocell†technology, that could allow 3G mobile coverage in areas which are currently “not spotsâ€.

Shetland MSP Tavish Scott is encouraging individuals, groups, businesses and public agencies to get in touch with him if they are interested in becoming part of such a trial.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience of using a dongle for Internet

access on Shetland (Scotland) and if so which network provides the best

coverage? I've looked up the coverage areas for each networkand none seem

to really do the trick but I did hear somewhere that vodafone worked for someone with a dongle? Anyone experienced dongle use onShetland?