Firth & Mossbank

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thankyou to everyone for your replys it is quie a mixed bag just to answer

a question a couple of people have asked we are moving from the south coast of england, and i only started this post as we live in a very nice area with no crime, no drugs, no gangs of kids, etc etc so i just was making sure that where we are moving to was like that,

^^ Pooks

Empty houses in Firth is possibly due to a combination of things, lack of amenities, I think people used to mention public transport as a problem.

Perception of the area is also another problem.

And where else would you find such a high density of local authority housing in a remote area (does depend on what you class remote).

I don't think you will ever get a definative answer.

^^ Ghostrider

If folks are having a problem with neighbours/cars etc, tell Housing and Environmental Health. They can do a lot these days, it does takes time, but things can change.

Don't know what you can do about resident crims though! :D

[quote name="Hollian

^^ Ghostrider

If folks are having a problem with neighbours/cars etc' date=' tell Housing and Environmental Health. They can do a lot these days, it does takes time, but things can change.[/quote]

Our house looks directly onto the SIC industrial site at Scalloway. Before Danny Watt built his factory (now No Catch) people use to occasionally take old cars up there and abandon them, not realising that every morning when I opened the curtains it was the first thing I saw. If a vehicle is on a public road without a valid Tax Disk take a note of the registration number, make, model etc and get in touch with Environmental Health. They will contact the owner who will have to move the vehicle or face a penalty. You can check if any vehicle has a valid tax disk by going to DVLA's vehicle online services and using the Vehicle Enquiry option

I live in Mossbank and despite all you low-lifes,having nothing better to do than slag off a small,happy close toghether community, why don't you worry about drug users and drink driving in other areas of shetland.

IMO places like Brae, Scalloway and Lerwick are alot worse than our community which should be the capital of Shetland Mossbank

Listen Spence, people in Mossbank are trying to help people who are in poverty like the " guy in rags" who can walk down the street without being bombarded with abuse, where as if he lived in Lerwick, the abuse would be far worse. Despite being poorly dressed he is a very friendly man and well like in our community and causes nobody any hassle.

To end my comment, everybody whos had a go at mossbank should take a long look at themselves in the mirror and they'll see there not perfect.

I think any "fear" of Mossbank is a bit childish - kinda like being at Bell's Brae and being scared of the bully in Sound school (or vice versa), or coming from the north road and worrying about Sandviene - it amounts to little more than a load of high school crap that really shouldn't be taken into consideration when deciding on whether or not to take your family some where.

It's a small town in Shetland and nothing to fret about... unlike the AHS, where they'll give you bin job as soon as look at you...

I live in Mossbank and despite all you low-lifes,having nothing better to do than slag off a small,happy close toghether community, why don't you worry about drug users and drink driving in other areas of shetland.

IMO places like Brae, Scalloway and Lerwick are alot worse than our community which should be the capital of Shetland Mossbank

Listen Spence, people in Mossbank are trying to help people who are in poverty like the " guy in rags" who can walk down the street without being bombarded with abuse, where as if he lived in Lerwick, the abuse would be far worse. Despite being poorly dressed he is a very friendly man and well like in our community and causes nobody any hassle.

To end my comment, everybody whos had a go at mossbank should take a long look at themselves in the mirror and they'll see there not perfect.

Wow, a fine rant indeed.

Point taken.

I have heard a lot of the horror stories about Mossbank and the surrounding area and from the discussion so far I can only surmise that the area has seen a significant improvement in the past few years.

Or - Maybe the weirdos, deviants, shopping trolley tramps and all-round turkeys who live there just aren't posting on Shetlink?

They certainly visit it.

I observed a good few of the problems had by Mossbank (at least, from what I'd seen of the Mossbank kids I went to school with) on another thread and I got a comment from two neds I went to school with (one of whom is my cousin, and lives in Mossbank, the other is her boyfriend and lives in Brae, and appears to be completely incapable of thinking for himself). They both got on at me over Bebo for my opinions on Mossbank and Brae and told me I had no right to stay them - which is cock and bull, in my opinion.

Oh well - after that episode I had to privatise my Bebo profile so that they didn't start a hate campaign against me.

Having lived in Mossbank for the past 30 years i feel i am more than qualified to speak up for the residents of our town. Everywhere you go in life has its share of deviants,make no mistake, but the blatant blatherings of pish talkers like Spencey7 do little to dispel this myth that Mossbank is a bad place to live. Mossbank is a pleasent, peaceful, quiet, friendly place to stay.I would encourage anyone who wanted to move to Shetland to consider living here. My advice to any wouldbe incomers,be they in Shetland or outwith the isles is to listen to people who know what they are talking about rather than some of the ill-advised sharn that has been spouted on here.

Having lived in Mossbank for the past 30 years i feel i am more than qualified to speak up for the residents of our town. Everywhere you go in life has its share of deviants,make no mistake, but the blatant blatherings of pish talkers like Spencey7 do little to dispel this myth that Mossbank is a bad place to live. Mossbank is a pleasent, peaceful, quiet, friendly place to stay.I would encourage anyone who wanted to move to Shetland to consider living here. My advice to any wouldbe incomers,be they in Shetland or outwith the isles is to listen to people who know what they are talking about rather than some of the ill-advised sharn that has been spouted on here.

Thanks for your contribution AngusMecoatup. Would you care to venture a guess as to why Mossbank/Firth has the reputation it (undoubtedly) does?

thanks to everyone for your replies

i will have to wait and see for myself when i get there,

when we visited it seemed to be a lovely place to bring up children and as said earlier i only started this post because of things ive read in this site.

we our looking forward to moving to mossbank and becoming part of the community

Ghostrider

If folks are having a problem with neighbours/cars etc, tell Housing and Environmental Health. They can do a lot these days, it does takes time, but things can change.

Don't know what you can do about resident crims though! :D

This is all very well, unless the problems are in and of themselves essentially created or at least excacerbated by Housing themselves. To be fair, 90% of the problems are caused by 75% of the transient residents, who have been placed as such, randomly here and there amongst permanent tenants by Housing, while permanent accomodation is located for them.

Very few of these people are in areas where they will eventually be allocated permanent accomodation, so don't care if they annoy everyone else, as they'll be moving on and leaving it all behind shortly. By definition transients of this nature appear to typically be in residence anything from a few days to up to a year, therefor with those at the shorter end they can arrive, create hell for a few days, or up to a week or two, and be gone before housing has a chance to act. For longer stayers, certainly in time you can have them reined in to be just about tolerable, but having achieved that, most are then moved out before long and you begin the whole process all over again with the next lot that move in. More often than not it ends up that you're involved in an almost continous "battle", so you don't bother any more. It's easier to just live with the b/s than it is to live with it and continously badger housing as well, in the full knowledge that at most a month of two after you "win" you have to start all over again.

Housing does not help matters either by the standards they build some of their stock to. I have been in SIC houses, particularly flats, where it could be argued the quality of the building "makes", or at least encourages the playing of loud music etc etc.

I have been in first floor flats where, if it was silent in the first floor flat, it was impossible not to eavesdrop on 50-75% of the conversation from the flat below, with the occupants speaking at a normal volume. If the chose to play music, also at a normal volume, it was very difficult not to be annoyed by it, especially if it's a genre you hate. The level of sound-proofing really is that poor, in fact I'd call it non-existant. Only a minimal amount of volume is lost, and a small amount of distortion incurred.

So, what do you do? Suffer in silence, or play music etc of your own to drown them out. Which they no doubt can then hear sometimes filtering through their's, and which encourages them to up their volume a bit more, and so on it gos louder and louder. To ensure neighbours do not annoy each other in flats of this nature, everyone has to keep music and TV's etc on lower than normal, and speak in lower tones than normal, and that to my mind is a highly unreasonable expectation for Housing to place on their tenants, and constitutes inferior and inadequate building standards.

Most permanent tenants begrudingly go along with the need, in the interests of keeping the peace and good-neighbourliness, but introduce a transient in to one and 75% don't give a damn, they horse around as they please making whatever noise they please making life hell for everyone.

Well Hannah put it this way if you did not want anyone getting onto you about your opinions on Mossbank(which you actually seem to have always had something against) then dont post anymore comments! And for your information they are not neds, do you see them walking about with burberry caps on, trackies 24/7, etc and walking around the place thinking they are hard?? All in all, Spencey, this whole thing is useless, listen to the people who have stayed here and had proper experience of the place. Its a great place with great people in it. Everywhere you go in Shetland has problems, its not just Mossbank, so consider that.