Flybe coming to Shetland

proudshetlander

Is this good for Shetland?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is this good for Shetland?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont Know

Shetland is always claiming that it wants to attract more tourists yet despite Flybe offering flights to all its other UK and Europe destinations over Easter there are none available to or from the Scottish islands. Checked with BA as well and although they are offering flights from Aberdeen to London right up to late September they are not showing Shetland flights after the end of March. Maybe it is a bit early to think of summer bookings though BA do not seem to think so but surely Easter bookings should be available now.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air travel needs a right good looking at IMO. All the hidden extras are a pain in the ****. They even charge you about £18 now just to choose where your sittin! I wouldn't pay that.

I travel back home from Edinburgh fairly regularly and in the past year have paid all kinds of prices from £85 to over £200. I agree that the MSP should be doing more to overcome this nonsense. It doesn't seem to matter what airline it is (BA, Lognair, Flybe) their all just ripping us off!

And on the subject of Flybe what the hell are those alwful savoury things they keep dishing up, about six in a packet that you thankfully never get anywhere else in the world.

Some years ago I read someting about Shetlanders starting up their own airline. Whatever happened to that idea?

Since I've been waiting to book my flight up for the Hamefarin, I have been keeping a close watch on available flights. The Flybe web pages havent moved beyond 27th. March for availability. So I e-mailed flybe and they have informed me that they will not release any further flight availability until 30th. November, then they will release late spring and early summer flight details.

If Shetland is expecting a Hamefarin with loads of us ex-pat's coming up, it could get quite messy and some disappointment too I expect.

Pity Atlantic Airways stopped.

Thought I'd remind Shetlinkers to remember if using ADS to remember and click off properly after your last visit. I didn't and booked tickets for my sis who lives sooth and thought no more of it. I got a letter fae Flybe telling me my ADS has been suspended. I phoned them and begged forgiveness for my mistake, got a letter today to remind me to read the T&C's which I have done now. :oops:

Thought I'd remind Shetlinkers to remember if using ADS to remember and click off properly after your last visit. I didn't and booked tickets for my sis who lives sooth and thought no more of it. I got a letter fae Flybe telling me my ADS has been suspended. I phoned them and begged forgiveness for my mistake, got a letter today to remind me to read the T&C's which I have done now. :oops:

This has been an issue ever since the ADS booking system came on line. This is down to piss poor web programming and short cuts in the development process. They won't even accept that there's a problem and insist that users adopt the workaround of closing down their browsers. Crap service that we have no option but to tolerate.

Some years ago I read someting about Shetlanders starting up their own airline. Whatever happened to that idea?

Seem to remember the was this thing where these folk they hijacked some planes and flew the planes in to buildings. Strangly enough bankers weren't so keen on funding airlines after that.

This has been an issue ever since the ADS booking system came on line. This is down to piss poor web programming and short cuts in the development process. They won't even accept that there's a problem and insist that users adopt the workaround of closing down their browsers. Crap service that we have no option but to tolerate.

I completely agree. Once you have negotiated their website, got it wrong, there is no chance of making it right, getting a refund or any help. They are not interested in making things better or helping in anyway, just the money and more if you can't get their booking system right......As for wheelchairs, don't start me on that! As for support or help, they are downright rude especially in Aberdeen.

It depresses me that we have to accept this airline as our only ruddy means of getting off Shetland quickly and they way they fleece us as well. To change flights costs huge amounts of money and in the age of computers, I really cannot see why. You just type in a different name - hardly rocket science. I cannot see why the flights get more expensive up to the departure date even if they are empty. If someone dies south, you don't get a month's warning for a funeral, you may get 3 days and then watch the prices soar. It is as if they have know! £600 to get to London!

And, if you cancel the flight, they will probably sell it on, thus screwing the system twice! Nice.

For me, the wheelchair argument was the last straw with Flybe. I threatened them with a total collapse for which I would hold them totally responsible and then flounced off (limping!). When a nice lady arrived with a wheelchair asking for me, I realised they had actually listened to my request and were worried about the consequences.

Sorry for rant......but.

There's clearly a lack of competition involved when it comes to shetland/mainland transport (both air and sea).

For a guaranteed annual payment of ca £30,000,000 i could offer you an ABSOLUTELY FREE service, similar to the current one.

So, I'll try and beat HJD price... I'll provide the air travel for £29,850,000

I can't help but wonder if the flight costs have anything to do with how much it costs the airline to land here compared with the landing costs at other UK airports. Anybody know?

On the HIAL website there is this document:

HIAL terms and conditions - PDF

Most the way towards the bottom is the list of the charges. I haven't found any similar documents for BAA airports but I'm sure someone with the correct level of interest would be able to find such a thing.