Does anyone have a Rayburn?

Guest Anonymous

aga and rayburn are now made by the same people so I would assume that agas can do central heating too, just like rayburns. I know south it's a bit embarrassing to have a rayburn, but they're not that different, and we have our ranges out of necessity not snobbery up here.

solid fuel burner is v.good idea, one which you can stick a kettle on had be quite handy too. especially if you hadn't thought to get a gas back up cooker.

If you want to do any serious cooking you'll need a back up cooker anyway. everyone loves their 4 door aga, but it's not exactly reliable temperaturewise, you can find your sunday roast burnt on the outside, still raw on the inside and the temp gauge definitely showed 220 when you put it in only half an hour ago. I'm really beginning to miss mine now just thinking about it.

have you checked out your local engineer? Take it you've found a house, if you're figuring out how to heat it and already chosen the range. If not, (not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs or anything) maybe it might be a good idea to check what would suit the house best first. shetland kitchen's can be built quite big, but it's not unknown to have the range in the living room, or another room central to the house, especially if the kitchen's quite small. Also if such remodeling is being done get it done before you move in. nothing spoils a marriage quite like not having a working kitchen or reliable hot water.

DO NOT make the same mistake many do and live in a completely electric house. Powercuts aren't as frequent up here as you might think, had far more while living on the outskirts of aberdeen. Thing is when the power goes off up here it's because the weather is far more severe than south not because a breeze blew down a tree onto the lines. Or in the summer if we have really nice weather because the unexpected weather conditions have stretched the lines.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,however when we looked at all traditional ranges we just prefer the Aga nothing to do with snobbery, yes Rayburn has been taken over by Aga but the Aga does not run the radiators still just hot water ,we have a multifuel log burner where we are at the moment so we will definately have another with back boiler as we have here thats no problem if we wanted to that could run our radiators as it does at the moment in our present cottage however we were thinking of the price logs getting them onto Shetland

Anyone know price of oil/ton logs /sack of caol etc .

Thanks again ,

Silvercloud