Coeliacs (gluten free) in Shetland...?

DizzyKipper

ootby-dog- sorry to hear your news :(

If you have a Breadmaker or want to make your own bread by hand, I can recommend the Dove Farm Organic GF Strong white bread flour- just follow the usual recipe. You would never notice any difference... unlike the GF bread / mixes from a few years back which were Horrid.

Dove Farm stuff in Scoop.

Their Self-raising flour is good for making all sorts of stuff too. Watch out for Baking Powder tho'- you would need to get GF BP or just use Cream of Tartar & Bicarb of Soda- I had never realised that BP had gluten {flour} in it :(

I was dismayed at the amount of stuff that has gluten- Kellogs Cornflakes, Rice Crispies, Smarties, Mars Bars! Think Coop's own cornflakes are ok though? The Coeliac Society UK has an online directory - for Members.

Best of luck.

I find Tesco's bread and rolls quite good and generally cheaper than anywhere else. A 10 second refresh in the microwave helps or make toast with the bread. Tesco also have the best range of other GF products.

I too can recommend Dove's Farm flour, available in the Co-op, Tesco and Scoop ( Scoop is more expensive).

Xanthan gum helps if you are baking home made GF stuff. Its quite expensive but you don't need much at a time.

I can also recommend Frankies GF fish and chips if you are ever in Brae!

Thank you all for your help and advice on Gluten Free foods and where to get them it is a massive change for me one which i am finding quite difficult at the moment :( however i am sure once i get into the way of it things will get easier. I am craving for stupid things like a Sandwick wholemeal roll and a Jaffa cake!!!! not to mention a nice cold pint of Tennents! Aarrrghhhh. :x

Most manufacturers do a 'new to GF' type pack you can get for free. If you don't mind mail order and have money to burn, there are nice things out there, inc savoury items, taht aren't produced locally to my (limited) knowledge.

There is some stuff which is nicer than ordinary... the battenburg cake from Lifestyle is lovely, really thick moist marzipan etc, beats Mr Kipling any day of the week. They do crumpets and cornish pasties etc, but they do cost more and you have to get at least 6 items per delivery.

If you cut out most of the convenience and cook for yourself it's not too hard.

Scoop sell GF worcestershire sauce.

You can resign yourself to being Beer-less I'm afraid. The only GF beer up here was (is still?) stocked by the co-op and made by "Greens" but it was too strong and much too expensive for my own tastes. I enquired in the Wine Shop - because there ARE good GF ales out there - but they had no clue what I was talking about. Get used to people not knowing what you're going on about by the way. Paul at Tesco was willing in principal to get some GF beer but after checking his database discovered that there was none available.

"Genius" bread at Tesco is the best GF bread ever. I used to make my own but no longer need to any more. Glutafin bread rolls from Boots (and also available on prescription) are the best bread rolls available.

Tesco have a whole shelf for us poorly afflicted, for all their manifest faults they have substantially improved the range and quality of my diet. Also, their own brand Cornflakes are 'safe'.

I suggest you subscribe to Coeliac UK -they're on the web, and you can get access to their online GF database which is an invaluable tool.

Eating out? Well Frankie's obviously but it's a long way to go for a fish supper - even a very good one. My experience up here has been very varied when it comes to dining but I've never been led astray by Monty's. Busta House on the other hand...

best of luck

C.

Well i have placed an order with lifestyle to sample some of their products if only the weather would allow for it to be delivered Mad Have also now tried Genius bread and it is not to bad, all though i think the Tesco 'free from' bread is just as good. I have also discovered that Crabbies Ginger beer with alcohol is Gluten Free its ok for a couple but dont think i could drink it all night. Was thinking about trying an Indian some night are they ok?

The Curry sauces at The Raba and Sarmile are made without flour- or so I'm informed, so they should be alright. I've eaten at both regularly and have never had any Gluten-related after effects. The nan breads, parathas and chapatis etc are all strictly off limits. Soups and sundries need to be evaluated on an individual basis.

I've never been able to get past the language barrier with the staff at The Gurkha Kitchen, never been able to make myself understood when asking about the way they prepare their dishes. I just stay clear, reluctantly, 'cause I hear good things about the food there. If anybody else out there knows more than me about this one, please share.

• 8 months later...