Photo ID

MJ

One initial thought about this is "is this legal". Let me explain. Northlink are paid by the government to operate a lifeline service and not just a lifeline service for those with photo id. Tempted to think that anyone denied passage could well argue that the company was in breach of its contract. Interesting thought for you all to play with.

Of course id cards for all are coming. It is just a question of how long before they become compulsory. Having carried some sort of photo idea for work purposes for most of the past 30 years I have no objection to adding yet another card to my collection and I believe that the only issues are what data is on the card, who has a right to see it, who may ask to see it and who has no dammed right to see it.

^^ I don't necessarily mind telling the company I'm travelling with who I am, but I certainly mind the the Government compling a list of each and every trip I make. However, in the case of Northlink, they are a nationalised company in all but name, so travelling with them you're on the Governemnt list automatically.

If you don't mind living under Labour's efforts to run the country on low level communist principles, then that's fine, sign up all you like. I certainly do object to their efforts to monitor my every movement without good reason, and do, and will continue to do everything in my power to stop them succeeding as far as I'm concerned.

Guest Anonymous

^^^^

Ghostrider,

I doot du's failed in dis objection ta monitoring dy movements...

I wis watchin a film da idder nicht, an upö da side o a plane atil da film wis clearly scrived da wirds "Ghost Rider"

I tink it wis a film aboot Hiroshima,,,

Du's brawly weel travelled :lol: :lol: :lol:

Many elderly people do not have photographic ID nor have any means of obtaining any, other than an expensive UK passport. I would hate to inform elderly folks that went through the last war that they now need a passport to travel in their own country.

Why does it have to be photographic ID?. Photographic ID is not needed to fly from Sumburgh so why should we have to obtain photographic ID to travel on our life-line ferry link. After all no photographic ID is required to travel on the public roads, busses or trains.

Guest Anonymous

^^^Photo ID IS required to fly from Sumburgh.

Albeit, I've never been asked for it because they know me. But they should still ask for it.

Perhaps an airport person, such as 'young' Rasmie, can confirm that. :wink: