Photo ID

MJ

All that i've ever been asked for at the airport is to produce the card used to pay for the ticket. Never needed photo ID.

I was staying in Travelodge in Glasgow recently and when I checked in was asked for photo ID. I dont have a photo driving licence but luckily I had taken my passport with me.

^^^^ My executive club card? ^^^^

So what's that then? How do I join this "Executive club"?

You have to get a ticket from BA that's one of the more expensive fare classes. Not your cheapest book in advance economy tickets, something like a semi flexible/flexible ticket THEN you can be part of the executive club.

I'm part of this privileged and its myriad perks.

Hah, who am I kidding, I haven't seen any benefits to it and I don't fly enough to be upgraded to their "silver" tier with lounge access...

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/echome/public/en_gb

-----------

Getting on topic I've never been asked for photo ID at Sumburgh

whits du on aboot medz its no lik du's been singning on for the last couple of years or taken oot any bank loans in the UK, or his du?

So I've given up my privilege to comment on local affairs then. :roll:

Anyway, back to the topic--as I'll be travelling internationally when I come over with my family this summer, I have no problem with carrying a Photo ID as we'll already have our passports with us. What I don't like is this subtle (perhaps not so much so) shift towards ID cards. At this rate we'll soon be able to merge this thread with the one on criminals being implanted with chips. Everyone has the potential to commit a crime so why not nip it in the bud now?

Might even be able to merge the CCTV thread--He's watching us more than ever!

Another part of the governments push for ID cards? I have been asked for identification at Sumburgh but not for photographic ID. The only time I was asked for photo ID was when flying from Exeter but at that time had no photo ID. I was allowed to fly by producing credit card I used to make booking.

So I've given up my privilege to comment on local affairs then.

Not at all, keep the coments comming. :)

Just with all the identity theft going on and a piece in the news about a couple that got the names of folk that were out the country and signed on as them,

You could very well be claiming benefit in some dole office some where and you would be none the wiser until you came back to the UK and found out you had store cards owing thousands and when prospective employers run a credit check on you just to see if your the reliable sort, and refuse to employ you, you sign on and low and behold your already claiming for a wife and 5 kids in a london privately rented house.

Not trying to get you worried Medz, sleep tight I'm pretty sure its no as bad as they say :lol: :lol:

Then again some sausage even managed to con Barclays into believing he was the chairman of the board and walked out with £10,000

night night :twisted:

I'm pretty sure at the last time they thought about it they were going to charge us £65 for the national identity card which we can't say no to and have to pay for whether we like it or not. I have a photo driving license and passport which I paid for and now I have to pay another govt dept for another card which I don't really need and they insist I do so they can prevent terrorism and identity fraud. After the shenanigans with the latter and losing millions of details I think I'll hold onto my £65 til Plod is battering at my door demanding I get the card.

Some of us don't have photo id

I don't have a passport and I don't have a photo driving license but I do travel a lot to the mainland with the ferry so now I'm going to have to pay to get this photo id asap. Also we are having a big family do this summer with loads of family coming up and we will now have to make sure they bring their passports to get to Shetland!

And the prices they are paying to get here they could all go abroad for a fortnight.

Perhaps Northlink intends to make its fares non-refundable, non-transferable and non changeable (unless a premium is paid) just like the airlines. Maybe this is the real reason for introducing photo ID.

After that it'll be one pice of cabin baggage then a charge for hold bagage etc etc

Many elderly people do not have photographic ID nor have any means of obtaining any, other than an expensive UK passport. I would hate to inform elderly folks that went through the last war that they now need a passport to travel in their own country.

Why does it have to be photographic ID?. Photographic ID is not needed to fly from Sumburgh so why should we have to obtain photographic ID to travel on our life-line ferry link. After all no photographic ID is required to travel on the public roads, busses or trains.

Actually, with the National Concession scheme for the over 60s they're more likley than any of us to have photo ID!