Photo ID

MJ

I hate the idea of having an ID card. I don't think I could really be bothered with one. It's not that I'd lose it or anything - it just sounds like too much hassle. Surely the government have something better they could be spending their money on? Not to mention that I already have three forms of photographic ID on my person (my railcard, my provisional licence and my student card). I don't need another one, ta.

Not to mention that last time I checked, this was a democracy, and in a democracy the government DIDN'T watch the every move of its people.

On the subject...I agree with JustMe's previous point about Northlink breaching their contract if they refuse passage to someone with no photo ID. I think the whole plan just isn't going to work.

I think you'll find that although it's a lifeline service, with regards to refusing travel they can do whatever they want! (look at their conditions of carriage)

With regards to the bigger picture i don't really see what all the fuss is all when it comes to ID cards (unless you have something to hide!?). When brought in it will help to fight things such as benifit fraud, identity theft, illegal immigration and terrorism. Ok they may be stolen and copied, but you cant replicate your own biometric details and give them to another person!

The government operate on behalf of the people and they clearly feel that this is a necessary step in protecting us.

Surely the government have something better they could be spending their money on?

As far as I'm aware we will pay for our own ID cards. The government stands to make a profit. Not only is this a breach of civil liberties, but it's an underhanded way of screwing the people for more taxes.

I'm not a taxpayer, and I even I know that can't be a good thing...:?

With regards to the bigger picture i don't really see what all the fuss is all when it comes to ID cards (unless you have something to hide!?).

There's nothing wrong with having something to hide: if I'd been abused as a child, or had been diagnosed with rectal cancer, I wouldn't want the world to know about it.

Since the proposed ID card is going to link together all types of different databases, the chances of some nosy parker finding out things about me I'd rather keep secret are going to be vastly increased.

It is possible in this day and age to have many different levels of access to information. For instance, say on one level a junior clerk can only see the most basic of information about you, and on another level a member of the security services can access everything contained on that database. I think that is a sensible approach.

In any case, I really couldn’t give a toss if some clerk at the DVLA in Swansea could see my medical history, a previous conviction or anything else contained on the card, and they can tell whoever they like if they are that bothered. In a small community most people know my life story better than me anyway! (or at least they think they do)

In any case, I really couldn’t give a toss if some clerk at the DVLA in Swansea could see my medical history, a previous conviction or anything else contained on the card, and they can tell whoever they like if they are that bothered.

Don't you think ( for example ) a victim of domestic violence, or someone due to testify against a violent criminal should be able to keep their whereabouts secret ?

I’m no police officer, but I would have thought that they would be put in protective custody or some other form of protection for their own safety. In any case this can still happen today and in my opinion the chances of it happening in the future would not increase/decrease with the introduction of ID cards.

It’s this type of scaremongering that skews the debate, and makes people miss the advantages that ID cards could bring.

The government operate on behalf of the people and they clearly feel that this is a necessary step in protecting us.

Or, see it as a convenient way of controlling, misinforming and manipulating the masses so that they can continue their usual self-serving shenanigans in greater peace and with greater ease.

The Government maybe feel it a necessary step to "protect" us (Ha, when did they ever give a monkey's for us as long as we kept quiet and paid our taxes), but I am entitled to disagree in the most vehment terms with their so called "considered opinion". I do not agree with them that it will protect me, any more than I agree having certain substances illegal, or wearing a crash helmet or seat belt will protect me from anything, the way they enact those regulations. I believe an ID Card will make me immensely more vulernable to attack, and I feel on past performance, that my safety is at far greater risk from the Government than any identity thief, terrorist or anything else.

If the British public is insane enough to put this bunch of thinly disguised commies back in power at the next election (God help us), and we have ID Cards dumped on us, I hope the forgers have a field day. If some whizz kid were to hack the central database, and so many genuine ID's were replicated as forgeries that the whole system fell down about their ears in the first month, it's the best that could happen. As it would get the inevitable outcome of this demented brainstorm over and done with as quickly as possible.

makes people miss the advantages that ID cards could bring.

Such as?

So far I am yet to hear of any genuine advantage to me. It's a bit like DRM on music files, or software; something the honest majority has to swallow because they've been forced into it. The benefit is to the people who are forcing the system, not to the general public.

In any case, I really couldn’t give a toss if some clerk at the DVLA in Swansea could see my medical history, a previous conviction or anything else contained on the card, and they can tell whoever they like if they are that bothered.

Don't you think ( for example ) a victim of domestic violence, or someone due to testify against a violent criminal should be able to keep their whereabouts secret ?

Good point Evil Inky!

I’m no police officer, but I would have thought that they would be put in protective custody or some other form of protection for their own safety.

That's going to cost a lot of money, isn't it ? Looks like ID cards are going to be even more expensive than we thought :)

In any case this can still happen today and in my opinion the chances of it happening in the future would not increase/decrease with the introduction of ID cards.

If my card contains my current address and I have to swipe my card every time I check into a hotel, visit the doctor, buy a plane ticket, or withdraw money from a bank, and all this information is available in seconds to anybody who works for the police, the NHS, the DVLA, or the SIC, it's going to be much easier to track me down, I'd have thought.

It’s this type of scaremongering that skews the debate, and makes people miss the advantages that ID cards could bring.

People talk about these "advantages", but always seem to be rather vague about what they actually are.

Well the advantage of an id card to all Shetland residents who do not currently have any photo id is that they could produce it at Sumburgh or Holmsgarth if they wanted to go south. I still say that we are going to have id cards at some time in the future and we ought to be engaging in rational debate about what data they hold, who is allowed to see what bits of that data and what measures will be in place to prevent unauthorised access to the restricted bits.

At he very simple end of a card I see great advantages for people who are a bit young looking needing to prove age in order to buy drinks or tobacco. Of course here the sales person would only be entitled to check the photo.

Yes people will forge id cards in the same way that passports are forged although it will be harder to deal with the biometric data........harder but I am sure not impossible