Photo ID

MJ

I see great advantages for people who are a bit young looking needing to prove age

Although it must be pointed out that there are several such schemes already in existence for exactly this purpose. The nice thing about them is that they are optional and provide a benefit to those who explicitly choose to seek it. This is no argument for compulsory ID cards.

This scheme is a pointless waste of our money and risks compromising our privacy. I am yet to see a single reason for this being something which I, personally, desire.

I do not accept that we should be limiting the debate to the data they hold; the debate as to whether they are desirable, let alone necessary, is still very important.

Ok then, we need both debates. Those against the principle can object while those in favour can discuss what is on the cards and who gets to see it. After all I think it is good that a policeman on the streets can scan my card to discover who I am and where I live should I be found collapsed. I also think it would be good that his scan could reveal that I was a diabetic because that information could be very relevant but would object if it also revealed irrelevant medical data such as my having had a vasectomy.

At the same time I think that it would make sense that the staff in the casualty department could get a lot more information from the card or from a central data base that they could only log onto with the card. Things like current medication lists would help them and it certainly could also help me.

The idea of having some of your medical data stored on a card is fine...until they are stored with somebody else's medical data. Who knows how much access we will have to our own identity? What is to stop somebody clicking the wrong button somewhere and your own card having the wrong information on it?

What type of photo id can I get for my 8 year old? it seems a bit silly to have to get him a passport for the sake of getting to Aberdeen :roll:

Hi tlady - despite me not having kids, that was one of the first things I thought

I was feeling rather mischievous and called Northlink about this. The first person I spoke to couldn't answer the question and so went away to speak to her supervisor and put me on hold. The supervisor informed her that it would not apply to children as the supervising adult would have photo id.

Not sure how school trips and such like will be affected through........

What type of photo id can I get for my 8 year old? it seems a bit silly to have to get him a passport for the sake of getting to Aberdeen :roll:

Hi tlady - despite me not having kids, that was one of the first things I thought

I was feeling rather mischievous and called Northlink about this. The first person I spoke to couldn't answer the question and so went away to speak to her supervisor and put me on hold. The supervisor informed her that it would not apply to children as the supervising adult would have photo id.

In a terrorism situation the mad Mullahs would stoop to using there children or anybody’s children as suicide bombers anyway so they would bypass the security system anyway?

Thanks Mhari that's reassuring ..

Northlink must only be looking for conformation on who's doing the booking then .. ie if you're traveling on a student card then you are actually a student .. it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of that scam ..

After all I think it is good that a policeman on the streets can scan my card to discover who I am and where I live should I be found collapsed. I also think it would be good that his scan could reveal that I was a diabetic...

A medical alert bracelet engraved with your doctor's and next of kin's phone numbers would do the job, and cost much less than the £65-100+ the proposed ID cards are going to cost.

Even the MOD can't manage to handle personal data safely and securely, and the Government wants the nation to believe sundry civil servants having access to similar data on everybody is going to make everyone safer. :shock:

At the rate they're going the Government is going to be responsible for far more identity theft etc etc than anyone else, maybe if they showed they could lead by example folk would start taking their hair-brained schemes more seriously.

"The stolen laptop contained personal information relating to some 600,000 people who have either expressed an interest in, or have joined, the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and the Royal Air Force.

The information held is not the same for every individual. In some cases, for casual inquiries, the record is no more than a name."

But it did concede that "for those who progressed as far as submitting an application to join the Forces, extensive personal data may be held, including passport details, National Insurance numbers, drivers' licence details, family details, doctors' addresses and National Health Service numbers".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080118/tpl-uk-britain-defence-39349ed_4.html

I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a Military Officer in possession of this amount of sensitive data while outside actual military installations, should have had the laptop chained to his wrist permanently, but that's just me....

Guest posiedon
moorit

Passports cost £72 and last for 10 years. That's less than 2p per day. A bargain !!!

Only a bargain if you want to go abroad, I don't need a passport myself as I have a photo driving licence, if I didn't have the driving licence I'd be pretty miffed at having to cough up £72, just for the privilege of traveling with Northlink.

moorit

Passports cost £72 and last for 10 years. That's less than 2p per day. A bargain !!!

Only a bargain if you want to go abroad, I don't need a passport myself as I have a photo driving licence, if I didn't have the driving licence I'd be pretty miffed at having to cough up £72, just for the privilege of traveling with Northlink.

Anyone that doesn't have photo id can go into the office and get a photo on their islander id cards for free, i spoke to them on the phone today.

we were told that we wouldn't need a passport to travel within th EU. Well guess what it doesn't applies to brits, there are quite a few EU citezens out on this rig and only one of them is carrying a passport, the rest have travelled on ID cards some photographic some not, EU law states that no passport is needed for any travel within the borders of the EU, try traveling to france without one and you wont get accross the channel,

but for a frenchman comming here a creditcard is all that is needed same when he wants to leave the UK.

Is it any bloody wonder I dont want anything to do with the UK/EU double standards, corruption unelected twats deciding how I should live my life, these same twats telling us how we can or can't spend our own money.

Time to get the hell out of dodge as they say