Parrot advice!!

My friend has asked me to babysit her parrot for 2 weeks when she is on holliday. Are parrots easy going - like dogs and cats- giving their love to who ever fills their food bowl, or are they owner orientated and will refuse to eat till they return. I would rather say no than have a sick parrot for them on their return ( Monty Python jokes are forbidden :lol: )

Having not much interaction with caged birds - am I right to say you can lay a cloth over their cages and "dat'll be daem!". The darkness will make them "roost" (for want of knowing what i'm blabberin aboot!! :o )...

A little garlic and some white wine makes all the odds, no? :twisted:

It really depends on the species. Some, like the African Grey, are highly intelligent and require lots of attention or they start ripping their own feathers out in distress (doesn't sound very intelligent to me though). Others are dumber and, as Trout suggests, require little more than feeding and having their cages covered.

I used to keep budgies and they were minimal hassle.

What kind of bird is it?

for some reason 208 on that Shetland independent newsboard thingy springs to mind.

Quite a number of parrots out live their owners so I really wouldn't worry about it. Just think of it as a big budgie and pretty much all the same rules apply. Most importantly don't introduce the neighbour's cat or leave doors and windows open (but in this weather you're unlikely to anyway). Like any pet sitting it is best to get to know the animal and it's routines before the owner leaves.

Hi,

It sounds like an Amazon parrot. I have two blue and gold macaws. They are not difficult to look after if you have been asked to petsit. You just need to make sure that its food and water are changed daily. They do need some stimulation though so if you are not going to be with it during the day, or if it is going to be left alone for long periods then it is best to leave a radio on for it or even the television (at a low volume of course!). If it is regularly let out of its cage it may get a little fed up if all of a sudden it has to sit in the cage all day every day, you would need to speak to the owner about that, hopefully it is a really big cage. Toys are a good idea too, just make sure that they are suitable for parrots.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Jane

I really think you should be asking these questions to your friend, no one will know how to look after her parrott better than she does.

and by asking questions you will show her that you care about the task and this should set her mind at rest to, can't be an easy thing to do leaving a beloved pet in some one elses care. Ask her to leave a list off instructions and a contact number.