Njugle

trout

Must have been in the early/mid-eighties when they forced Lerrook water upon the poor Scallawegians. I'm too young to remember :roll: :oops: honest.

But also, there was an outlet from that pipe that supplied the now gone and forgotten trout hatchery that used to be sited on the Scord corner. It was closed before my time, but we used to take the occasional pilgrimage to the derelict building on our pushbikes, before trying to hit 40mph on the scord brae! (my speedo said i did, but there was no official race timer available) :wink:

ps if you ran a bath o' the Njugle's (aka Nyuggel's) Water it left a layer of brown peaty sediment at the bottom by the time the bath was full! Much better than aa yun chlorine-y sh*te tho' :wink:

Anywye, Njugles! The legendary mythical Shetlandic manifestation of the water horse. Said to lure weary travellers to climb onto it's back before plunging them into the icy depths of a loch to their certain doom................. Nice (in a Fast Show jazz stylee)

The only mention of them specifically in literature that i can glean is in perhaps Marwick's book. So thanks :roll: to you trout am goin tae have tae geen an read it noo, aman i :?:

:wink:

:wink:

It's in da hills atween the scord and the windmills, it's where scallowa's own (much tastier) water used to come from. :D

Have you ever seen the Worl War 2 underground bunker on the hillside just above the loch. I think there was some sort of bomb store up there.

There is a photo of the bunker in Willie Smiths book aboot Scalloway in the war.

Have you ever seen the Worl War 2 underground bunker on the hillside just above the loch. I think there was some sort of bomb store up there.

There is a photo of the bunker in Willie Smiths book aboot Scalloway in the war.

8O You know about zee secret bunker! I cannot mention it here otherwise i'd have to shoot everybody who reads it...............hmm, ah what the hell, the world is overpopulated anyway.

Yeah, seen it, been in it on several occasions. A dream come true for a young bairn in the scalloway area, a genuine secret bunker! It's basically a nissan hut buried underground, if you know it's there it's easy to spot, if you didn't know you'd never spot it in a million years.

I'm led to beleive it was a munitions store but other than that i'm not sure. I can only speculate that it was to serve some sort of purpose if there had been an invasion, as it is pretty remote for day to day usage. If i find out more i'll post it here :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard a story about two crofters who captured a Njuggel and chained it to the murder stone at Tingwall. Suddenly the Njuggel started running round and round the stone, snapping the chain and making good its escape. The marks made by the chain can still be seen on the stone today although in all honesty i'm pretty sure its some geological thing.

I heard that story too but it wasn't a njugle in tingwall - it was a bear in Fetlar!!! True, I swear!!

That I was told that story I mean, not if it actually was true!

Is du no thinkin' aboot the bear on Linga?? My grandad and father always used tae tell me that story when we geed aff in the boat..... I'm sure it was linga as oposed to Fetlar? It's been a long time fae I've heard that een.

(Linga is da peerie island that lies just aff Gutcher in Yell. Pronounced Ling-ee)

I'll ask my father aboot it today, see whit he says. Du might be right aboot it bein' Fetlar, my brain might be playin tricks on me but for some reason in the back o' my heed I thought it wis Linga.