moving

wozzi71

C'mon now North - not all folks from Laaaandan are on intimate terms with the local constabulary :lol:

In answer to the original question, yes there is unskilled work available up here IF you are willing to do it. Personally I moved up here from Yorkshire 6 months ago and got a job working at the Fish Market in Lerwick (yeah ok my work clothes smell of fish and nobody will sit next to me on the bus :shock: BUT it meant I could get a house sorted out and move the wife and children up here). Wages are not the greatest but seeing as all I am doing is hauling boxes of fish and driving a truck, I didn't expect them to be. It is a world away from where we came from (did a stint in SE London too) - up here I can go out and leave my house unlocked and let the kids out to play after dark without having to worry.

C'mon now North - not all folks from Laaaandan are on intimate terms with the local constabulary :lol:

Oi! You having a go at the way I speak? Cor Blimey Mary Poppins, apples and pears, look out its the sweeney, me old cockney sparrer? Geeet Aaaawt orvvv miyyy pubb!

Weirdly, after three and a bit years here and twenty years in West Yorkshire I still sound like a Mitchell!

To the OP - I would advise you to find a job prior to moving up here. That was the advice a local gave me when I was looking and I found it to be a smart idea. It made finding a home rather easier. On the fish front, isn't the mackerel season about to finish and then theres a bit of a gap before the herring? I'm no fisherman you see so I could be repeating something that someone has told me as a gag, but I'd check to be sure that there are the seasonal demands. There are firms of builders and the council have a fair few opportunities too. It is worth getting the local paper for the job page.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest posiedon
Best thing I ever did for myself and my family. I have never looked back and never been happier. This is home!

Fx

Hear, hear, anybody who's not happy here, there's a boat goes south (most days) :lol:

On the job front, Well I have been up here for a year now and not been able to find a job yet.

Perhaps when they realise I am disabled with an arthritic condition they get scared off.

Looking for part time Admin work 25-30 hours a week and prepared to travel each day.

Guest posiedon
Malcolm

Perhaps when they realise I am disabled with an arthritic condition they get scared off.

Isn't there a law against discrimination against disabled folk? I don't know the level of your disability, but if you're in a wheelchair say, that shouldn't make any difference in an admin job.

You should get to interview stage even if you don't qualify for the job, it's positive discrimination practiced in most large companies, all local authorities and within nearly all the third sector. Unless of course you tick the box saying you don't want it.