Shetland Museum Sixareen Building Project

Guest Anonymous

A similar project has just finished here in Norway where a 1500 year old boat was reconstructed using original methods. It is extraordinary in that the planks are sewn togeather with thread in stead of nails.

In the Hardanger region of Hordaland county there is a live and rich boat building culture and one of the veterans there has done most of the work in cooperation with the Hardanger Fartøyvernsenter (Hardanger Ships Preservation Centre).

Here are some links with nice pictures and one with some english text.

http://www.fartoyvern.no/side.asp?ID=4442&kat=864&sp=1

http://home.online.no/~joeolavl/viking/halsnoybaaten.htm

http://www.bt.no/lokalt/hordaland/article569811.ece

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

^^^^

Thanks for those links Freyr.

I must get round to visiting more of the boat museums here in Norway. Hjertoya is the only one I've been to so far.

• 3 weeks later...

While i don't ant to take anything away from the boys bigin da sixereen in da toon. It seems da fact dat there have been 2 built in recent years in Unst, has been forgotten or at least little mentioned. Da first een blew away we da 91 gale so they biggid annider een. She is currently ebbed up at the Boat Haven in Haroldswick. Its kinda vexin as she made a splendid sight on da water.

Maybe dis rowin eens should tak on rowin right boats leek sixereens instead o yun nonsensical skeetiploops it dey wirk we enoo :wink:

Guest Anonymous

^^^^

Quite right marlin13. That's why I mentioned the Far Haaf in the introduction to the Sixareen Building page. It was the 92 Storm BTW. :wink:

I believe that there was also another one built in Fair Isle in recent years, but I know little or nothing about it. I think it was fitted out with a lot of technology that allowed it to sail by itself. Sort of Ghost ship. Perhaps somebody here can enlighten me on the details of that boat.

Cheers.

Guest Anonymous

^^

I don't know how much superstition there still is regarding boats. Afraid to say that I take no chances, and would never turn a boat against the sun. I've also heard it said that a boatbuilder should never walk around the boat, against the sun, while it's being built.

I wonder how many boat related superstitions Shetlinkers can think of. A few I've heard about are:

Never mention cats to a fisherman heading to sea.

Never talk about rabbits, while on a boat.

Never call a selkie by it's real name.

Never start a fishing trip, or any job, on a Friday.

Never allow a female on a fishing boat.

:D

Guest Anonymous

With the launch of the Sixareen happening at 1200 today, this topic is coming to it's natural conclusion.

Thanks to all Shetlinkers for their interest in the project, which has been proved by Shetlink being the top site for links to our page.

Our trusty photographer, Heimdal, will be at the launch with his camera. And we hope to get a video as well, assuming me or my camera woman can manage to get Vista to play ball.

Anyway, about 450 pictures since they laid the keel, there's not much more to add..

Except: It would be nice to see a picture of the Shetlink Moderators rowing the Sixareen.

Come On Mod's,,That's a challenge for you

:wink:

Guest Anonymous

Many thanks for trying anyway Valhalla.

The camera is likely mounted too high to get to easy.

But it is nice to see a glimpse of her being rowed. :D

PS. Hope your flu gets better soon. :D