Shetland Museum Sixareen Building Project

Guest Anonymous

Cheers fur dat Robbie! Hit was nae budder!!

Yes, it is fine tae catch a glimpse o her every noo an dan!

Still no heard whit she's caa'd tho.

Me flu is gettin some better so I'm tain Goudies aff speed-dial noo! :D

Just wantin da hostin and blowin snurty bubbles fae me nose tae stop noo!!

Sorry Robbie, WAY too much info abone!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome project. Well done to everyone involved and thanks for keeping Shetlinkers up-to-date.

Come On Mod's,,That's a challenge for you

:wink:

I would love a shot. We don't have enough mods (let alone ones in Shetland) for a full compliment though. Can I still have a go? :)

Guest Anonymous

^^

I think a lot of folk will be wanting a shot at rowing the Vaila Mae :D

Maybe we could scratch up a crew from Shetlopedia and Shetlink combined. :D

I've just added 12 pictures from Heimdal to the page. Including the Laura Kay, the other boat launched today. A replica Haddock Boat built by Malcolm Hutchison. She's a real beauty as well.

Both boats are certainly an achievement that the Museum can be very proud of. :D

Congratulations and thanks for this http://shetlopedia.com/Sixareen_Building_Project! which had been one of my daily favourite pages for months!

You did a superb demonstration how to share heritage, experience and practise. Thanks as well for the interesting choice of "see also" links. As far as I know there is no comparable boat building documentation project in the "viking" boats' world.

(On the other hand there seems to be not too much literature about the Sixareen? I got some nice small books, well worth reading, but in no means comparable with Andras Mortensen "Hin føroyski róðrarbáturin" or the smaller Roskilde Docu from Morten Gøthche "Færøbåden". If there will be a Shetland pendant one day, I'd love to be the first buyer...)

In all your photo details I learned a lot about the connection between the Sixareen and the old "viking" boats, - by viewing, great! And studying the Shetland boat details helped me a lot to understand the special development of the boat of your Faroese neighbours.

Thanks again and enjoy your phantastic boat! And one day in the future I will be rowing it, too!

• 2 months later...

** Sorry mods - probably in the wrong place **

(*** Mod - Not any more ;) F. ***)

Well, it wasn't on my list of '100 things to do', but I've been for a row in the Vaila Mae.

Holy moly!!! Those oars are frikkin' enormous!!! Never again will I moan about the matchsticks we use in a yoal!!

And the boat itself...what a beauty. And what a size - you just don't appreciate the largeness of it till you're in it.

Many thanks to Trevor Jamieson and the Bigton rowers who manned (and womanned) the oars and helm.

A splendid evening was had by all.

Guest posiedon
Marooned in Maywick

Holy moly!!! Those oars are frikkin' enormous!!! Never again will I moan about the matchsticks we use in a yoal!!

I could never understand why the oars in the yoals are so skinny, I would have thought wider blades and slower strokes, would be much more productive.

There's probably a very good reason, but I'm just not aware of it :? Anybody?

I would imagine, like the rest of her, the Vaila Mae's oars were dictated by maintaining authenticity to what was actually used by the same boats going to the haaf. In which case when you're headed 20 miles west of Foula with a good swell running, matchsticks simply won't do, and you're wanting something you can get a good hold of too.

I assume the yoal's oars referred to are of the Ian Best Rowing Club variety, and not those of the original Ness Yoal. I've really paid very little attention to those boats, as a quick passing glance soon tells you that overall they are more "based" on the yoal design, than replicas, but on that basis if the oars are similarly "modified" they might be just about anything. If you get a pair of genuine yoal oars in your hands, you'll think they're quite enough to be dealing with though, of course that may well just be where the root of the problem lies, yoals were generally intended to be rowed by three people each with a pair, not six with an oar apiece, so even if they are true to the originals they will feel on the light side when used singly by a crew of six.