Driving whilst using mobile phones

lambie

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you were in an accident, the flying phone could injure someone, if not yourself and could be out of reach or damaged if you do need to call the emergency services because you may be upside down in a ditch on your own one winters night bleeding.

This is IMO the most important thing to remember about phones and driving, as it may be one of the very rare times in your life you actually *need* your mobile.

I've yet to see a cradle as secure as a pocket!

The phone has to be inaccessible. You cannot have it sitting on the passenger seat. The worry there would be the temptation, plus, if you were in an accident, the flying phone could injure someone, if not yourself and could be out of reach or damaged if you do need to call the emergency services because you may be upside down in a ditch on your own one winters night bleeding.

It is illegal to drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle while using a hand-held mobile phone. This also applies to any similar device (that must be held at some point) to:

•send or receive spoken or written messages or still or moving images

•access the internet

These devices include smartphones or Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs).

While driving, you must not use your hand-held mobile phone, smartphone or PDA:

•to make or receive calls

•to send or receive picture and text messages

•to access the internet

•when you're stopped at traffic lights

•when you're queuing in traffic

It’s also illegal to use a hand-held phone when supervising a learner driver or rider.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Roadsafetyadvice/DG_188761

There is NO mention of where the phone should be kept, nor does it say it should be inaccessible.

........, but idoits who are too selfish to keep their attention on the road... well I wish that phoning up the police with their registration was enough.

these crimes MUST be reported to make the Stats. Once they are at a sufficient numbers the selfish toss pots can be caught. It would be the only way really to highlight the problem. Your Councillors and MSP/MP/MEP can make a representation as well if approached.

So when you use your mobile phone as a pedestrian, to report the selfish cow you almost hit you and you're told there's nothing they can do as it's your word against those in the car.

I an writing this on my fone in my van while drinking juice! Who says men can't multitask!

With regards to the above, if I had seen you doing the above I would have literally tailgated you, beeping my horn, flashing my lights and shaking my fist out the window till you pulled over. Then I'd of told you what I thought of your multi-tasking!!! Shocking behaviour, and in a work van too.....

I an writing this on my fone in my van while drinking juice! Who says men can't multitask!

With regards to the above, if I had seen you doing the above I would have literally tailgated you, beeping my horn, flashing my lights and shaking my fist out the window till you pulled over. Then I'd of told you what I thought of your multi-tasking!!! Shocking behaviour, and in a work van too.....

Just be thankful he wasn't doing summat else too. :wink:

I often wonder what the job description of these self proclaimed superior beings are. They either have to be self employed, unemployed or heading in that direction, possibly even turningright !

Who was proclaiming they were superior, missed that post.

The guy is entitled to have a different opinion to the crowd, doesn't mean you attack him and not his point.

You don't need to look back far to find it :- quote " i think im perfectly competent to talk and drive at the same time " unquote.

Seems pretty clear to me, if this person worked for my business he/she would be out on their ear...

Seems pretty clear to me, if this person worked for my business he/she would be out on their ear...

just to nip the passive condescension in the preverbial bud that will never happen.

and just to prove we can all drop hints of pretensious aloofness, if you worked for me id sack you to.

You wouldn't even get hired by me with spelling like that! :wink:

just to nip the passive condescension in the preverbial bud that will never happen.

and just to prove we can all drop hints of pretensious aloofness, if you worked for me id sack you to.

You wouldn't even get hired by me with spelling like that! :wink:

another anonymous captain of industry on shetlink?

There is NO mention of where the phone should be kept, nor does it say it should be inaccessible.

Speaking for myself, I was referring to common sense rather than any law. Surely people dont need legislation to point out such obvious things?

He never at any point said he was driving.

Tailgating, and general road rage is much worse than sitting having your piece and checking out Shetlink :wink:

im sure some will be delighted to know, i programmed my iphone to my rangerover bluetooth today.

works fab, sits nicely in its little cradle (which will keep shetlandpeat happy) right above the fridge between the heated leather seats with armrests, all the controls are on wheel and the details come up on the television in the dash.

sound quality is sublime through the harmon kardon 14 speaker system and with the rangerover being as quiet as a car can be it was a delight to chat away all day long.

happy?

If you did that I would laugh at you in your white van, acting like a white van man, until i realised that you telling me what you thought of my multi-tasking might in fact be you saying how impressed you were! You have a girly peerie van anyway!

:lol: