Driving whilst using mobile phones

lambie

It all depends on how you are trained.There are some excellent trainers who can get their message across with ease, and in a digestible way.

I notice this as I get on in my work, training is a big part of the induction and the ongoing employment. The training I have learned more from is the lessons I have enjoyed.

Passing my HGV test 3 years ago was quite a task. I had been driving for over 25 years, though lucky to drive many different types of 7.5 T vehicles, and large 3.5T vehicles with trailers.

The training lasted a week, I thought I knew how to drive correctly, I soon found out how wrong I was. The instructor was great, I passed 1st time with 2 minor faults. The next training is controlling a 22 tonne truck in the snow and ice. Furthering my gritting training.

The penalties for using a phone as a professional driver are much harsher.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that you think that folk who drive adapted cars may be unsafe.

To recap this is where I was heading

If talking on a phone is unsafe and a distraction

then

In the world of the safest possible driving environment not being able to hold on to the steering wheel with two hands that can physically move the wheel must in turn be unsafe, or not being able to see with two eyes must be unsafe.

If you read that correctly you will figure out I have and have never had a problem with disabled drivers and think it's alright to talk while driving.

You are right, humans are the worst drivers, something we are not designed for. No matter the ability, when in a busy shopping centre there are no accidents, if everything was scaled up including speed, their would be.

Alas, if you occupy the mind away from driving the driving will be affected, if a one armed person were to drive, the mind will work this out, and as long as speeds are kept within capability it would be as safe.

If disabled drivers caused as many accidents, with TR analogy, it would be made against the law.

There are more folk who use the phone while driving than have a physical adaption to a vehicle to enable them to drive.

Someone with one leg can drive an automatic and so on.

You have also hit something with eyesight. When I have installed road closures and provided instructions on a diversion, the amount of folk who would ask what they were as they could not read the 15 x 8 cm letters from 20 yards. It seemed to me that many folk drove without proper sight correction. Though if corrected, their driving would be enhanced.

That too is a disability that can be overcome.

We monitored folk using phones when driving and on a busy junction we found it to be one every 5 minutes, we went back to do the same job and there was one every 2 minutes over a 1 hour stretch, Though we did not count disabled drivers. The later was about 400 cars in an hour or 20 every 3 minutes, which was the level we were able to install the type of Traffic Management we wanted (Give and Take).

I think the point being missed here is that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have to operate a mobile whilst driving.

That is the difference between doing so and driving while disabled etc.

i think the point being missed is that when compared to to what some people do concurrently as a matter of course, driving and talking on a mobile phone pales into insignificance.

just because it is against a law does not make it dangerous or outwith human abilities

Then to look at it another way, how many drivers have set up their phones to be used in vehicles. Bluetooth to the dash, voice dialing even voice command.

I wonder if it was law to set up the phone for car use.

Probably not.

The Gov here are creating huge 20mph zones to save children, will that alone change the attitudes of the drivers, nope.

You seem to have to force folk to comply nowadays.

Let me clarify that. I do not think prosecuting people who use their mobile phone in a queue of stationary traffic should be prosecuted. Nor even those stuck in a slow moving rush hour crawl. Let us see people travelling at a relatively fast speed being targeted even though they may be harder to catch. Makes sense to me.

i think the point being missed is that when compared to to what some people do concurrently as a matter of course, driving and talking on a mobile phone pales into insignificance.

just because it is against a law does not make it dangerous or outwith human abilities

2 of the most sensible posts in a thread of 6 pages of utter crap!

I think the point being missed here is that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have to operate a mobile whilst driving.

Haven't missed your point I don't agree with it just like you don't agree with mine. :wink:

Would be boring if we all agreed all the time :lol:

Absolutely, and forums like this wouldn't exist to wake up to :D

So, to keep things trundling along - why do you think it is essential to use a mobile when driving?

For clarification, I am not concerned about the use of proper hands-free and voice operated systems, indeed most new vehicles have integrated systems which are excellent, I am referring to the topic of the thread that being the hand-held use of a phone while driving.

Surely if you feel it is so essential to your life to have to talk to someone while driving a little forward planning and investment in the appropriate equipment isn't much to ask?

However if you are one of those who think sending text messages, browsing facebook etc while driving is perfectly acceptable then I am sorry, with the greatest respect, you have more than one screw loose!

So, to keep things trundling along - why do you think it is essential to use a mobile when driving?

Speaking for myself, if I didn't have the means to communicate while driving there is a lot of the working day lost. If I had to stop every time someone phoned me I'd never be able to move between jobs.

For clarification, I am not concerned about the use of proper hands-free and voice operated systems, indeed most new vehicles have integrated systems which are excellent, I am referring to the topic of the thread that being the hand-held use of a phone while driving.

But you did express concern that no use of the mobile is necessary whatsoever, which is why I made the point about the varying capabilties of drivers.

I can't even text properly on my Blackberry let alone attempt to do so when driving! :shock:

Me never answers mobile/texts/plays Tetra on the stupid thing when driving - I got enough to what with MSM, indicate (yep, even at those SMALL roundabouts), turning up Meatloaf via steering wheel stick; looking out for pedestrians stepping into road ... sugar, I forgot looking at speed limit. :wink: