Viking Energy - For or Against?

crofter

Are you in favour of the Viking Energy windfarm?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of the Viking Energy windfarm?

• 100% in favour
    • less turbines
    • only enough for shetland - no interconnector
    • community schemes
    • micro generation - free electricity for everyone!
    • 100% opposed

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, not sure if we should let his thread stand as it is. I have considered something similar myself but in this instance, maybe i'm awkward, but i canna tick just one of the boxes. I'm not sure your options summarise opinions for a poll crofter. :?:

It's missing one vital one, a straight "No". ie Nothing to do with anyone or anything concerning VE.

I'm not necessarily against windfarms per se, but the longer they talk, the more I become opposed to everything and everyone that is part of VE being let loose with even so much as a windspael*.

*A Shetland version of a weather cock, made from scraps of wood or tin, with a small wooden propellor on one end which made a goddawful racket when the wind blew. It kept bairns amused. :lol: .

Hmm, not sure if we should let his thread stand as it is. I have considered something similar myself but in this instance, maybe i'm awkward, but i canna tick just one of the boxes. I'm not sure your options summarise opinions for a poll crofter. :?:

Fair point, feel free to add more options, or edit mine...

^ You should just be able to edit your existing poll options, no?

Personally, I don't think that these forum polls are very representative for several reasons. I'm almost tempted to ask that we continue the actual debate in the original thread and allow this one to falter...

^ ,

Personally, I don't think that these forum polls are very representative for several reasons.

That may or may not be the case...... However a poll can never even approach being representative or considered completly democratic unless people are given the 'no' option as a choice.

Perhaps the organiser of this poll a closet VE supporter :wink: :wink:

Still can't find myself ticking a box.

I like wind mills, okay driving through fields of them on flat plains can be a wee bit boring (Greece, Denmark etc), but I don't find them that ugly. Think the one's above Tingwall look quite good.

Not quite sure about all the environmental concerns about peat, do know the heather hasn't looked too healthy in a while, anyone gone out picking berries will know what I mean.

I'm pretty sure that there were similar concerns about the environmental effects of sullom voe.

Building all these windmills would prevent access to the land?

Does VE have to do archaeological surveys before they start? Okay it's pretty hard to go very far without tripping over some ancient ruin or burnt mound in Shetland, but are they bound to do the whole area in the same way that you'd have to if say building a new road?

Not sure about electrical lines either, you can argue which ever way you like, depending on who funded the research, but anyone who's live near a high voltage line can tell you about the magnetic field interference on electrical equipment, it may not be good for your health.

Even folk with their own windmills to close to the house will complain about similar effects on their electrical items. The windmills themselves aren't going to be close to houses, but how far does the field travel to be noticeable from a project that size? (No science background so not quite sure how it works)

Windmills wont produce electricity when some feel it's most needed. Say when you're stuck in a huge high in the middle of winter, or when it's too windy? So that way it doesn't matter if you've got 2, 20 or 200 hundred if you've got a week of no wind will there be financial penalties for no electricity?

Also if you put up a couple of hundred windmills in one go what happens when they go obsolete? Are they made up gradable and/or recyclable?

With all these type of projects there is always the "jobs" thing but with most of the actual running being able to be controlled by computer south, what sort of jobs are going to be around once the project is finally built? A couple of maintenance guys, trained and sourced south?

Maybe all my questions have been answered in the other thread but it's just too long to read in one sitting and process the information.

I'm not for or against.

I do believe that we shouldn't be jumping through hoops for "free money" on the back of some new trend without looking 20years ahead.

I'm also glad it's not in my back yard, just over that way somewhere.

It's also unlikely to explode and give me radiation poisoning.