Is the word 'Soothmoother' a bad 'un?

jim-jam

I agree with Jim-jam (PJ to his mates). Lets fan the flames of soothmoother hatred. I'm a born and bred shetland lad and I hate what the influx of soothmooth scum has done to these islands.

As far as I can see there's a whole aisle in somerfield and coop put aside for soothmoother ponces. When will we get rid of the soap powder and bleach and replace it with items the average shetlander uses, like turnip and oven chips.

oooo I can feel the heat o dem flames!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a funny thing kids, the word '<uuh uhh anality!! moo! sproot!>' is developed from a latin word and is a pejorative term used to describe dark skinned people. Over the centuries it has developed a negative connotation, to the point where it is generally considered the most insulting word in the English language (maybe second only to the word 'flaps'). In 1700's it was used commonly.

I don't care how the word soothmoother came into use and what it actually refers to. The fact is, it is a divisive word that refers to a person's non Shetland origins. Why not say 'mainlander'? Why does where a person's incomer status matter at all? Anyone who says it doesn't is a liar or deluded. It stinks of insularity and backwardness.

Oh yes, Shetland makes all the right noises about being an open and forward thinking community but this word betrays a certain undercurrent of resentment and thinly veiled racism. It's exclusion with a smile.

The 'grow a thicker skin' resolution has been used forever by bullies and racists. Bottomline is, if someone finds a term offensive stop using it. Imagine if Shetlanders moved en masse to England for work and they were widely referred to as 'peat cutters'. Would this slang term be acceptable for long. Doubt it.

Or how about being called a sheepshagger just because you come from Shetland so lets try your suggestion then, lumpsooker mainlander bar steward. :lol:

do you find this less offensive?

I might actually find it offensive that you think you can tell me how to talk, soothmoother is just the dialect word for mainlander, we have already had a thread on here that showed most folks took offence to being told how to talk by incomers, mainlanders or soothmoothers :roll:

Some of us had little choice about coming to live amongst you racist Shetcong.

Shetcong? A Shetland equivalent of Viet-Cong? Does that mean that if the VC were called "Charlie" should we calling the Shetcong "Magnie"? Maybe it's true, perhaps I should adopt the catch phrase "Magnie Don't Surf!", because I haven't seen him. Oh wait wasn't there a pic in the paper a week or so ago? (sound FX: wanders off grumbling).

Shetcong? A Shetland equivalent of Viet-Cong? Does that mean that if the VC were called "Charlie" should we calling the Shetcong "Magnie"?

This is being really pedantic, but "Charlie" was short for "Victor Charlie" ( as in the NATO phonetic alphabet ), so the Shet-Cong would presumably be known as the "Sierra Charlie".

I'll get my coat...

Guest Anonymous

Okay, here is a question for everyone....

I was born in Shetland but my parents weren't. I just happened to be born here while they lived in Shetland for a few years. We moved away when I was four yrs old. I have visited many times since and returned here to live last summer. I dont have a Shetland accent, although I did before I moved away. I now have a mixed, unidentifiable, but recogniseably Scottish accent.

Question is ...am I a Southmoother?

Dont mind if I am, would just like to know what you all think. I dont find the term Southmoother offensive. My mother remembers it being in use as far back as the 1960's.

^ Shetlander without any doubt, as you say you were born here but this is not the only thing that makes you a Shetlander. You spent many holidays returning to Shetland not I guess because you couldn't stand the place but because you love it, you have moved back here I would guess for the same reason. It is the last two reasons that make a lot of folks Shetlanders, It is also true that some folks have been here for years and will never be Shetlanders.

Welcome home

Vague, unconnected thought...

How much of this is about what we call someone, and how much is about what we allow others call themselves?

Surely if someone says that they don't wish to be called a soothmoother, they can choose to say they are a Shetlander. Why not? If someone if pleased to be a Soothmoother, then this is the choice for them to make too.

When we draw a barrier against someone and say 'You cannot call yourself ', it grates against folk. Why not just leave it up to folks to describe themselves in the way that suits them best?

As Gem's story shows, every situation is vastly different. Or is there to be an Arbiter of Soothfolkiness to oversee each case?

How do you see yourself, Gem?

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Sheepshagger, the warmth of your reply leaves me in no doubt that I have made the right decision in coming back to Shetland to live.

Fjool, I'm in two minds as to how I see myself. On the one hand I feel like a Shetlander because I have a genuine love for Shetland with it's unique colours, textures, sights and sounds. I feel a connection to Shetland because I was born here and therefore have a history here. I have always felt a little bit different ( special ) because I was born in Shetland.

On the other hand I feel like a Southmooth as my family are not from Shetland. They're from Glasgow, and therefore the culture and humour I grew up with was very much Glaswegian. I think I would feel more like a Shetlander and less like a Southmooth if I had family in Shetland and had a Shetland family name.

I wish above all else that I still had my Shetland accent. I have an old reel to reel recording that my Dad made of me when I was little and I had a great Shetland accent then. It must have gradually disappeared over the years. Maybe it will come back, who knows?

I was born in Shetland but my parents weren't. I just happened to be born here while they lived in Shetland for a few years.

I couldn't help smiling when I began reading this because the image of Norman Lamont popped into my mind :shock: . Slightly different in his case as his mother was from Shetland. He is clearly keen on being considered a Shetlander having taken the title Baron Lamont of Lerwick. I've never heard him having a go at local dialect but I reckon he probably does try. I reckon that would be quite an experience.