Is the word 'Soothmoother' a bad 'un?

jim-jam

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Can't see why anybody should be offended by being called a Soothmoother.

I know lots of Shetland incomers who are happy to be called Soothmoother, as at least it gives them some sort of identity within the Shetland dialect. And it sounds better that saying Damned Scottie, or Damned Englishman.

Some people, usually these damned idiots who will argue that black is white just for sake of argument, think that Soothmoother is a racist term. Well how to hell can it be?? The term is used for people of all colours, religions, nationalities, etc., and just means that they were not a natural born Shetlander. Every island community has a similar name for non-islanders, and I'm sure every small village anywhere in England, Scotland, or wherever, has a nickname for non-locals.

As an incomer to Norway, I'm sure that there is a local name for the likes of me, but I couldn't give a toss, and to use a Shetland expression,

Dey can caa me whit dey laek, as lang as dey dunna caa me ower.

I make every effort I can to fit in, without treading on local traditions, (except possibly putting more salt on their supposedly salt mutton), :wink: , and as a result I am met with nothing but friendship and good humour. If on the other hand I was to act aggressively when I am called some name for an incomer, I would not expect to be met with the same decency.

Soothmoothers should learn to accept the term as nothing more than a descriptive title, and stop trying to stir up racist hatred against Shetlanders.

Dat's my tippence wirt, noo a'll dook i da grev o da haandiest paet bank, an lat aa da pleepsie Soothmoothers caa me a racist... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. Wan o da best names am been caa'd here is, Viking. :lol: :lol: A'm fair prood o dat een. :D :D

Soothmoother is a word that describes people from the south, who dont speak Shetlun. The term English could be used in a derogatory way to describe English An English born person who learns to speak perfect Shetlun is no longer a soothmoother.

I thought it was to do with folk who came to Shetland in the Sooth Mooth, as opposed to a way of speaking. :?:

^ Some say that, but I've certainly heard it used with reference to the way in which someone speaks too.

Despite what some might say, there are definite efforts to segregate along dialectical lines. The term 'soothmoother' is often used derogatively and goes hand-in-hand with efforts to make incomers feel awkward for using Shetland words. Taken together these form the basis for a subtext of exclusion which doesn't feel nice to be on the receiving end of.

It may not be deliberate or concious, but these attitudes are present in Shetland, and do make people feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

The impression I get is the trouble "Soothmoother" is going through has a lot to do with people not knowing the full story of the UHA affair. Judging by the letters in the ST people seem to think he was asked to leave for simply uttering the word. Therefore the UHA committee deem the word so offensive as to banish anyone who uses it. This is, of course, utter... thinking of a clean word... nonsense.

It's a shame the offending text is no longer available for folk to actually read and base their opinions on facts rather than Chinese whispers.

I don't find the word offensive at all - unless it's used in an offensive way :wink:

^ Some say that, but I've certainly heard it used with reference to the way in which someone speaks too.

Despite what some might say, there are definite efforts to segregate along dialectical lines. The term 'soothmoother' is often used derogatively and goes hand-in-hand with efforts to make incomers feel awkward for using Shetland words. Taken together these form the basis for a subtext of exclusion which doesn't feel nice to be on the receiving end of.

It may not be deliberate or concious, but these attitudes are present in Shetland, and do make people feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

I've only ever heard it being used to describe some who arrived in the isles through the sooth mooth. I'm sure if I trawl through some of my old Shetland books then I could find a pretty early reference to this description (sure I've read it in al least one of them)

I was at college with some chaps from Skye and Barra who spoke gaelic as their first language. At college if they were together they spoke gaelic but as soon as someone joined who didn't speak gaelic they automatically spoke in english - that's inclusive for you. I agree, I've seen these attitudes as well, not summit to be proud of.

I've only ever heard it being used to describe some who arrived in the isles through the sooth mooth.

The two are very closely linked, however. How does one identify a soothmoother without reference to their birth certificate? Usually by the way they talk.

I've personally been on the receiving end of snotty comments about my accent and derided as a soothmoother because of it. Regardless of the origin of the term, the link with one's accent is inseparable.

This isn't just represntative of Shetland though it happens through out the British Isles when I was young and we had to move down south I was immediatley singled out by my classmates because of my accent, but i didn't moan or greet about it I just got on with life and fitted in and in the end I won the "majority" :wink: of them round but in life you just have to realise you can't get on with everyone and everyone won't get on with you.

If what you are trying to say that indigenous shetlanders are xenophobic or racist in their use of the word soothmoother then it is no more so than comments they endure about being backward or sheepshaggers, just get on with life and worry about someting more serious than a word, and it won't change until society as a whole not just "shetlanders" or "nort road scotties" or "soothmothers" learn to see everybody for what they are a human being and not a title to be pigeon holed and derided because of their differences.

If what you are trying to say that indigenous shetlanders are xenophobic or racist in their use of the word soothmoother

No. That's not what I've said. To suggest that an entire group of people behave or believe in a particular way, based on their place of birth, would be a ridiculous claim to make; particularly when discussing discrimination and racism! :lol:

I'm only pointing out, from personal experience, that the term (yes, as with many others, all around the UK) does get used abusively and that it does have an inseparable connection with the way in which someone speaks (or looks, or how they worship, and so on).

If the term were only ever used affectionately, there would be no debate here. The fact that it is even under discussion is proof enough of the negative connotations which it has been given.

At the end of the day, however, any word which one chooses to describe a group of people with - be they homos, spastics or soothmoothers - will cause offence to someone, somewhere. And I agree that a not inconsiderable portion of that offence belongs entirely to the offended.

The intention behind the use of any term though is the important thing; bad intentions can make almost any word into an insult.

I've only ever heard it being used to describe some who arrived in the isles through the sooth mooth.

The two are very closely linked, however. How does one identify a soothmoother without reference to their birth certificate? Usually by the way they talk.

I know sooth folk who talk with a fluent Shetland accent and they're still referred too as soothmoothers. You're clearly having a problem accepting that a soothmoother is someone who is deemed to have arrived through the sooth mooth (as it's commonly known) and not a description of the way they talk. You might talk like a soothmoother but it doesn't mean you have a south mouth :roll:

Completely agree, it's about how the term is used, I know many soothmoothers who use the term to refer to themselves..

You're clearly having a problem accepting that a soothmoother is someone who is deemed to have arrived through the sooth mooth (as it's commonly known) and not a description of the way they talk.

Not having a problem; I understand what folks mean in this regard. However, as I have already said, I have direct experience of the term being used to refer - rightly or wrongly - to a person's accent. Are you saying that it has never been used this way, nor taken to mean this? Are you also suggesting that there is no inherent link between one definition and the other? It seems to me that the two are aspects of the same thing.

I've personally been on the receiving end of snotty comments about my accent and derided as a soothmoother because of it. Regardless of the origin of the term, the link with one's accent is inseparable.

How many times has this happened ?

I would have to agree with Penfold that no matter where you go if you have a different accent to the locals you have a good chance of being on the receiving end of some comments. I am afraid it's not an ideal world we live in.

In my experience I would say that fortunately it doesn't happen as much in Shetland as it does in other parts of UK.

Are you not making something of nothing ?

How many times has this happened ?

Several times; not recently, but probably more than I would have liked while I was growing up. This is a bit besides the point though. Infiltrator said that he's never heard it used to mean someone's accent; I'm just saying that I have had this experience. That is all.

I am not complaining or saying that I get lots of abuse; I do not, and have never said so.

I would have to agree with Penfold that no matter where you go if you have a different accent to the locals you have a good chance of being on the receiving end of some comments. I am afraid it's not an ideal world we live in.

I agree with Penfold too. I already said as much; and I believe that it is just the way that some people are. I am not suggesting that Shetland is somehow more or less likely to do this; everywhere does it to some degree, I imagine. I don't for a minute think that I could move to Cornwall or Belfast and blend in and, yes, I'm sure there would be a name for me there too.

Are you not making something of nothing ?

I'm not trying to make anything, really. I'm am only joining in the conversation from the point of view of someone who has been a soothmoother for pretty much all his life.