Can anyone help?

Silvercloud

Hi,

We are a family looking to move up to Shetland islands in Oct time.Having made visits at diffrent times of the year this is where we have decided to bring up the family and join in with the local community.We have also posted on the Accommadation section as well.

We are looking for a Croft not too concerned about the condition as i'm a qualfied joiner with a degree in cabinet making as well.I qualify as a nurse in October so this is when we would like to make the move.

If anyone thinks they mabe able to help with any information or knows of anyone who maybe planning on selling a Croft we would be extremely grateful for any help on this matter and it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Silvercloud

Hi Silvercloud.

Just a suggestion as well as asking on the net a lot more people would see your request if you where to advertise in the Shetland times asking for a croft.

I have heard it is a more complicated process trying to buy a croft than just buying a house and takes longer to purchase.

I hope you have looked into all the legalities of purchasing a croft.

Best of luck

Jim

Hi,

Thanks for the advice appreciate someone getting back to us.

Will put an advent into the Shetland Times,we have looked into the laws into owning and working any Croft and quite prepared to put any necessary work in.We have been in touch with the Croft Commision so we were wpould be under no false illusions of what would be required of ourselves in owning a Croft and the amount of work invoved.

Thanks again,

Silvercloud

Look at the websites of the main solicitors, there are a few crofts available at the moment. Their adverts are usually in the Shetland times (which you can order online).

Out of interest,

What are you wanting to do with the croft? How much land do you think you'll need? Any particular areas you are most interested in?

Not a lot online :(

However, there are two (mainland) ones on the market at the moment: Setter at Voe and Gardens Croft at Sandness.

Everor at Hillswick was advertised/sold recently, as was a croft in Wester Skeld.

Not millions but not bad so far this year. Give the solicitors a ring for more up to date lists; hopefully they should let you know if anything turns up.

The five main ones are Neil Risk, Tait & Pererson,Dowle Smith & Rutherford, Anderson & Goodlad, and Inksters.

Hi

Thanks for your replies,our intentions would be obviously to work the croft by mix farming, and ideally become as self sufficient as possible.We would consider any size of croft.

Location wise we are fairly open ,however we like Sandwick and whiteness but would consider other areas.We realise alot crofts seem to change hand by word and mouth not always needing to advertise.

We do keep a close eye with the estate agents of whats comming on but we will be actively hunting especially over the summer period to try and find something for aim in Otober.

Silvercloud

When purchasing a croft allow for the time to submit the assignation paperwork. If the croft assignation is outside of the family then it will only take affect on either Whitsunday (28 May) or at Martinmas (28 November). Private arrangments are often made to enable entry to the croft prior to assignation completion. These are usually after recieving confirmation that there have been no objections, issues etc; but does involve a small element of risk. This could affect moving plans.

Also, mortgages can be an issue unless the housing plot has been decrofted. Otherwise you may not have the title deeds to the land the house is built upon, which is generally not well received by mortgage companies.

I'm following up Silvercloud's comments.

My wife and I are retiring to Shetland in early to mid-April and I have always grown loads of vegetables. The house that we are buying has only a small garden which is non-peaty. I am hoping, once we move in and get settled, to ask the crofter who has the field next to us (who apparently "only uses the field for a few sheep a few times a year") if I could rent or even buy a small patch of land to grow veggies on. I have yet to meet the crofter but do people here think that he might agree to such a suggestion? I am only thinking of a patch of around 100 square foot (I think that's about 33 sqare metres or so in new money).

Generally, I have so many questions to ask about life on Shetland. Is this the right area to ask them?

Thanks.

If the land is only occasionally used, I'm hoping that bunging him a few quid per year and a some veggies might persuade him in my favour.

Whilst I have an audience (well, one listee at least), can you advise me as to what DAB radio reception is like on the mainland? I like listening to BBC 5live and Talksport in particular.

Also, I need to buy a couple of TVs when we move. I would presumably be able to get them cheaper at somewhere like Argos or Currys where I currently live but I would be stuffed if they subsequently break down. Is there a good TV retailer in Shetland and how do the prices compare?

Thanks

Thanks, Styles.

The Argos or Curry's guarantees would be worthless there but I guess TVs don't break down as much these days as they used to.

Shame about the DAB radio if you're right, though. Maybe I'll have to listen via the internet broadcasts or download it to an ipod thingy. That makes me sound a bit technical but I'm absolutely not. We've had a DVD recorder for about 2 years and I still don't know how it works.