Apple Trees

It probably matters exactly the variety of tree used, and the soil type involved, but the only one I ever saw tried wasn't a success, even in an extremely sheltered spot. It survived, "just", for over a dozen years, but never exceeded about four foot tall of a very thin main stalk, what it lost on it's extremeties to wind/salt/frost damage each year was all it managed to regain the next.

Needless to say, it never achieved a state of ever considered producing fruit, and a particularly hard winter following a poor summer in the late 70's or early 80's proved too much for it. I would think to make it worth the trouble at all, that a polytunnel or such is essential, *if* you have a location that one of those can survive the winter in.

Hello,

I recently bought a house with a large conservatory and always wanted to grow apple trees. I bought some miniature fruit trees from http://www.vanmeuwen.com and the 2 apple trees have been very successful. I know this will only work if you have a sun room but I thought it might help.

The trees grow edible apples and they are small but not miniature.