Scottish Referees

JAStewart

The biggest problem I see with this is that there is so much TV coverage of it that our kids see it and think that it's acceptable, and it spreads into society as a whole.

I'd dearly hope (probably forlornly in many, many cases) that the adults responsible for running teams for youngsters would instil in them the absolute requirement to accept that the referee IS the sole judge of what is and isn't fair play in his/her opinion.

Maybe the adults on the sidelines would do well to remember that as well...*cough* toy shop owner *cough* :roll:

Doesn't alter my view that in Scottish there's one set of rules for the Old Firm and one set of rules for the rest of us.

Even one referee (can't remember which one - now retired) is on record as stating that the OF game has to be refereed differently from any other domestic game in Scotland.

To my mind that means there will be incidents that will go unpunished by a booking whereas in any other game a booking would result.

Therefore there are 4 league games a season where OF players get away with a reduced chance of booking and hence will ultimately accrue fewer suspensions.

Now don't try and tell me that's a level playing field.

To my mind that means there will be incidents that will go unpunished by a booking whereas in any other game a booking would result.

Therefore there are 4 league games a season where OF players get away with a reduced chance of booking and hence will ultimately accrue fewer suspensions.

Are you still trying to wind me up, MiM...??? I'm not gonna bite, mate.

First Rangers v Celtic match this season saw 9 (yes that's right - NINE) Celtic players booked, most for first and/or very innoucuous challenges. How you equate that to a reduced chance of booking completely escapes me.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you still trying to wind me up, MiM...??? I'm not gonna bite, mate.

No wind-up intended ( I widna dare... :wink: ) if a top Scottish referee says that the games are refereed differently...why would I have any reason to disbelieve him...

First Rangers v Celtic match this season saw 9 (yes that's right - NINE) Celtic players booked, most for first and/or very innoucuous challenges. How you equate that to a reduced chance of booking completely escapes me.

Nine does seem excessive...any idea how many of those nine were second bookings for players which would have meant a dismissal and more likelihood of a suspension? Or, incredibly, were they nine different players? That would take some selective refereeing....

• 4 weeks later...
I thought the ref did very well in yesterday's Old Firm game, although there wasn't really anything contentious to deal with.

No, I'm sure Thomson was never going to get his second yellow for this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6EIC6l1POs

Just managed to get a copy of the report from the Disciplinary Committee....

Re: Kevin Thomson; Rangers F.C. v. Celtic F.C. 29th March 2008

The Committee has considered an incident which occurred at Ibrox Stadium on 29th March 2008 during the game between Rangers and Celtic.

It is alleged that Kevin Thomson of Ranmgers FC committed an act of simulation. The committee has considered video footage of the incident, and its findings are as follows:

(1) Kevin Thomson did fall to the ground as a result of no contact whatsoever.

(2) By falling to the ground in such a manner, he did commit an act of simulation.

(3) Simulation was introduced to the Scottish game by Lithuanians such as Saulius Mikoliunas of Heart of Midlothian F.C.

(4) Kevin Thomson was only copying those nasty Lithuanian cheats who have brought shame and dishonour to the Scottish Game.

Accordingly the committee has decided that the following action is appropriate:

(1) to ban Saulius Mikoliunas for 3 games

(2) to fine Heart of Midlothian FC £10,000

(3) to make Walter buy the first round next time we see him at the Lodge

(4) to recommend Kevin Thomson for a place on the British diving team for the Beijing Olympics.

I thought the ref did very well in yesterday's Old Firm game, although there wasn't really anything contentious to deal with.

Apart from the usual back-chat from Barry "King of Scotland" Ferguson. I actually thought he was going to get booked this time, but alas...

And Kevin Thomson, diving like that. And when he didn't get the free-kick, he feigned injury so he wouldn't get sent off. What a dirty cheat.

Rangers/Scottish Referees, cheats to the core.

The pair of them obviously living in a magical land far, far away

Includes this little gem:

Rangers boss Walter Smith, speaking immediately after the game, also leapt to the defence of his midfielder.

He said: "I don't know why nothing was given as the boy nearly got a broken leg and how can you break a leg without contact?

"He does not have a broken leg but I guess it is one of those situations that will remain a mystery."

:| :| :| :? :? :?

What bothers me is that the 'contact' was clearly Thomson flinging his leg towards Samaras' and yet the Weegia, the SFA, the Players' Union are still clinging to their claim that there was nothing wrong with it.

Curious how Sellik are remaining tight-lipped about it...but hey, those who live in glass houses....

Compare and contrast Walter Smith's comments with http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6995682.stm

And for those too lazy to click on the link (it's from 14 September 2007) (my emboldening)...

Assistant coach Stephen Frail says Hearts will do all they can to back Saulius Mikoliunas during the storm caused by his dive at Hampden.

But Rangers boss Walter Smith supports Uefa's decision to charge Mikoliunas with misconduct against Scotland.

The Lithuanian could receive a two-match ban for "deceiving the referee" to win a penalty.

And Smith said: "When you can show it as clearly as that, yes, I think there should be punishment."

Uefa's control and disciplinary body will review video evidence of Mikoliunas's theatrical dive on Wednesday.

"The incident is one that I think football can do without," added Smith, who takes his Rangers team to Tynecastle on Saturday.

But Smith does not believe that it is a problem that blights Scottish football.

"It's something we don't have a great deal of in our football," he added. "I don't think it's prevalent in our football."

Frail made it clear that he did not want to get involved in a war of words.

But he said: "I'm pretty sure if it had been a Celtic or Rangers player doing the same thing for their club it would not have met with the same response and outcry."

And he pointed to Joe Jordan's infamous handball against Wales in 1977 to illustrate a degree of hypocrisy among Scottish fans.

"We went to the World Cup on the back of that," he said. "And we all laugh at Maradona's handball against England."

Mikoliunas is nursing a hamstring injury and is not expected to face Rangers.

He can expect a hostile reception from opposition supporters when he does appear but Frail believes the winger can handle it.

"They can boo and they will boo him, hopefully it will make him stronger," he continued.

"It's up to us as a club, if he does get booed, to get round him because he is our player. We have to make sure he is okay.

"I have spoken to him, I have told him we will look after him and will protect him.

"I don't want a witch-hunt against him; he is one of ours."

Rangers striker Steven Naismith agrees that football's governing body should intervene in a bid to eradicate the problem of diving.

"That's the right way to do it," said the 21-year-old. "It's the only way to stamp it out.

"I'm not here to say it's right or wrong - I'm only a player - but I'm sure they will get the decision right.

"To be honest, I think it's part of the game nowadays. It shouldn't be part of the game but it is and you just have to rise above it."

^^

In the Youtube clip a couple of posts up do you not see Samaras move his left leg out to the left to trip Thomson ?

If I remember correctly there was no contact at all when Miko dived. He's not that clever. :wink:

What do you make of the penalty for France when Anelka ran into James who was static ?

In the Youtube clip a couple of posts up do you not see Samaras move his left leg out to the left to trip Thomson ?

No.

I see Samaras move his leg to the left, but not far enough to the left to make contact with the already diving Thomson.

The contact came as a direct result of Thomson flinging his left leg at Samaras' to ensure there was contact.

If I remember correctly there was no contact at all when Miko dived. He's not that clever. :wink:

Clearly you don't remember correctly, then.

After Fletcher's rash challenge, Mikoliunas made sure there was contact as he went down. I agree, it was faint contact, but definitely contact.

What do you make of the penalty for France when Anelka ran into James who was static ?

Haven't seen it.

What do you make of Walter Smith's comments about the two incidents?

^^

In all honesty Frankie, what do you think of Thomson's antics and those comments above from Smith?

The dive was bad enough but for him to lie down and get stretchered off pretending to be seriously injured was absolutely disgraceful. I'd put it at the same level as Rivaldo at the World Cup in 2002 and Dida at Celtic Park recently.

^^

I would say from one camera angle it does look like Thomson intentionally made contact, but from the other it looks like Samaras moved towards Thomson so I can understand what you are saying and why there are differing opinions on it.

He does score a good goal though. :lol: :lol:

I haven't read what Walter Smith said.

The dive was bad enough but for him to lie down and get stretchered off pretending to be seriously injured was absolutely disgraceful.

Do you not see his leg bend in that Youtube clip a few posts up ? :wink:

Who are you to judge if he was injured or not ? Just as well they've got good Doctors now at Ibrox. :wink:

Do you not see his leg bend in that Youtube clip a few posts up ? :wink:

Who are you to judge if he was injured or not ? Just as well they've got good Doctors now at Ibrox. :wink:

You may have fooled me with that coin trick at New Year but I'm not buying the opinion you've put forward here! :wink:

Seconds 12 and 13 are the most damning in that YouTube clip... there's blatently nothing wrong with him!