Scottish Referees

JAStewart

The refs have a thankless task, because every player goes on to the pitch trying to gain an advantage by whatever means they can.

Then get better ones or train them better or tell them they ARE allowed to officiate the game without favouring the Old Firm.

Do you honestly think Thomson is the only player who could be accused of cheating in that game ?

You wouldn't, by any chance, be referring to Kirk Broadfoot would you?

They are all at it. Maybe that's why there is not much being said about it by other players and managers.

My gripe is that there IS plenty said about it when it happens to be a Hearts player - especially one who has come from Lithuania.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately in this country the press are only interested in the Old Firm so we don't have fair coverage of incidents like the Thompson dive. Many of their players are actually on the payroll of certain papers so they don't want to criticise their employees and risk those exclusives.

Gordon Smith has been a disaster from the start and it is no suprise to see him keeping his head down. I for one would have no faith in his judgement in these types of incidents because of his obvious bias and unwillingness to tackle certain teams. I hope his Cheats Charter is more succesful than tackling sectarian singing, just switch on Setanta's Old FIrm TV at any weekend and you will hear for yourself. (It's also sickening that two teams rake in over 75% of all TV money, Aberdeens recent UEFA Cup snub being another example of media bias).

The Mikolunas incident is directly comparable to Thompson, and the differing press reaction is very predictable. Will we see referees continue to punish Thompson in the same manner as they have done to Mikolunas......don't be silly. No suprise to see Fraser Wishart wade in to Thompsons defence after being posted missing when the press whipped up referees, players and supporters to "hound Mikolunas out of Scotland".

The Scottish game is rotten to the core, we see examples on an almost weekly basis. I don't know if things will ever change but the SPL as a product is rubbish and the only way it can change is when teams start getting equal treatment.

Thomson wouldn't be getting this much crap if it happened during a match for two diddy teams in a lower division but if you want to play for the Old Firm you have to take the slings and arrows.

Excuse me, but just how much 'crap' is dirty cheat Thomson getting?

The sheer hypocrisy stinks and, like I've said, football in this country is rotten.

Everything is geared to ensure the Old Firm stay where they are - the silence coming from Parkhead is telling...they're not called the Old Firm for nothing.

Can tell you support an east coast team, the conspiracies are all coming out today.

The reason Mikol(whatever) got so much hassle was because he did it in an international against the country he plies his trade in, bit like you slapping your bosses wife on the ass and telling her she's built for comfort and not for speed, he would have found it fine maybe even funny if you'd done it to someone else but since its his wife he's going to be pissed off. Thomson did it an old firm game so the only country who would get upset are the paddies.

Hibs, Hearts, Dundee Utd, Motherwell all sell their better players to the Old Firm or south is that not more likely the reason for the Old Firm staying at the top, the others can't maintain a challenge because their best talent is now at the opposition. Oh no its because the refs are corrupt, Chick Young is a hun, Gordon Smith is a tube and Jim White is a blue nose. I was stunned to find out that the Old Firm haven't won all the League titles since it came into being, how does this happen with such rampant corruption?????.

The biggest embarassment in Scottish football is that tosser Romanov, making a mockery of Hearts since he rolled up but that must be the Old Firms fault as well.

My mistake.......if Mikolunas had kicked Fletcher after his dive then the two incidents would be comparable.

I completely agree with the comments about Romanov. I also recognise Celtic and Rangers have the fan base and financial clout to dominate Scottish football. I still believe they get the vast majority of decisons in big games (as the recent cup final showed), almost all decisions at SFA level and know for a fact that the press gang up on anyone who challenges their dominance.

The lack of financial parity in the SPL is another result of the old firms dominance. How can they expect a competative league if they are raking in 75% of TV money. Teams outwith the old firm have had to survive by selling their best players to the old firm but after the recent Andy Webster decision you can expect the financial gulf to increase as players are pinched despite being under contract.

So how exactly can Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and Dundee United close the gap.......they can't without a strong SPL, better financial deal, fair media coverage and referees who aren't afraid of a media backlash.

So how exactly can Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and Dundee United close the gap.......they can't without a strong SPL, better financial deal, fair media coverage and referees who aren't afraid of a media backlash.

In my opinion, I still think it's second tier teams like the ones you mention there and the third tier teams like Falkirk, St. Mirren et al that are the problem in Scottish football at the moment.

None of those clubs want a move away from a twelve team league as they wouldn't get as much as a benefit financially from the Old Firm if this was the case. We should have a top league of sixteen or eighteen but that's not going to happen in the near future.

One up, one down in a league of twelve is an absolute joke as well and that's nothing to with Celtic or Rangers.

None of those clubs want a move away from a twelve team league as they wouldn't get as much as a benefit financially from the Old Firm if this was the case. We should have a top league of sixteen or eighteen but that's not going to happen in the near future.

I'll ignore the usual pish spouted from the rank-closing Old Firm la-la-la-there's-nothing-wrong brigade and comment on that point.

When the ugly sisters come calling crowds at Tynecastle fall. We can quite happily just about sell out the ground whomever the opposition is.

The reason crowds fall for their visits is that decent supporters don't want to have to be subjected to the 90 minutes of sectarian or terrorist-supporting bile emanating from the Roseburn Stand, and have the L&B plod helpless/unwilling to do anything about it.

Not only do crowds fall, police costs rise as these are classified as category A matches.

So, for Hearts anyway, there's nothing to be gained financially from an OF visit compared to, say Aberdeen. In fact the opposite is the case. So we'd be delighted to have them visit once each per season as opposed to the current twice.

In addition, given that OF away games habitually seem to be those shown on Setanta, is it any wonder crowds object to having a kick-off that isn't 3pm on a Saturday - object by staying away.

Siince the title of the thread refers to Scottish referees, another reason for crowds falling when the gruesome twosome visit is the certain knowledge that there won't be a level playing field - and that's a terrible indictment on the Scottish game...that people choose to go to a game or not depending on who the referee happens to be.

Siince the title of the thread refers to Scottish referees, ................................................................................................................ people choose to go to a game or not depending on who the referee happens to be.

I can't believe very many would do that.

In addition, given that OF away games habitually seem to be those shown on Setanta, is it any wonder crowds object to having a kick-off that isn't 3pm on a Saturday - object by staying away.

I agree that the game being on Setanta will affect attendances, but supporters will surely be staying away for financial reasons rather than staying away to try to make a point of objection to the time of the game ?

Well, given that also apparently believe

(a) Thomson didn't dive

(B) Rangers should have had a free kick

© Samaras should have been booked

(d) The referee did well not to book Thomson

given the incontrovertible evidence to the contrary

and also that

(e) Davie Provan is an unbiased commentator on Scottish football

then, please, do forgive me if I henceforth give your opinions little credence. :wink:

Thomson wouldn't be getting this much crap if it happened during a match for two diddy teams in a lower division but if you want to play for the Old Firm you have to take the slings and arrows.

Still waiting on your answer to this one JohanofNess...

Still waiting on your answer to this one JohanofNess...

Go to google type in "Kevin Thomson diving" et voila

Now carry on banging on about how the Old Firm done you wrong.

Cry me a river :lol:

I'll ignore the usual pish spouted from the rank-closing Old Firm la-la-la-there's-nothing-wrong brigade and comment on that point.

Oh wait you already are :wink:

:lol: :lol: I'm just surprised it's taken this long.

Well, I felt I had a duty to my following to respond to your outrageous statements - after all, not everyone is as intelligent as I am (as is perfectly obvious by some of the nonsense that's been posted on this thread...eh, Johan?) and perhaps wouldn't have realised how much of a wind-up you were on :wink:

I reckon your irrational hatred of the Old Firm all started here.
:wink:

Nothing irrational about it Frankie-boy. As a fair-minded fellow I utterly abhor bullies and that's basically what the Old Firm and many, many of their fans have been for decades.

I find it curious you should choose that particular footage - it's got nothing to do with either of the bigot brothers.

It might go some way to explain my hatred for St Bribery.

Perhaps I could remind you of Hearts 4, yes FOUR victories against Rangers that season. Or that we were undefeated against Celtic...so footage from that particular season against either of the Old Firm would be rather pleasing viewing for me.

In fact I'll be able to see some tonight as there's a programme on BBC1, I believe, regarding season 1985/86. Ultimately fruitless, but what a story!!

It made our cup victory in 1998 (against Rangers) and the subsequent open-top bus parade all the sweeter - and that's something neither of the bigot brothers will either have or even understand what it feels like.

So have a look at this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y321XY6YDDY&feature=related

And just for your amusement, what about this bit of cheek...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYPnDALjBo

Hearts certainly can't complain about the decisions they got from the Scottish Referee in that (1998) Cup Final.

Whether Fulton dived or not is debatable, but even if there was any contact it certainly wasn't inside the box. Even so, Rangers should have been able to beat Hearts. They must just have had an off day. :wink:

I like the sitting on the ball clip as it led to a goal. No point in doing the fancy stuff if there is no end product.