Trout Fishing

turrifield

Do you tell the truth about fishing?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tell the truth about fishing?

• I am a damned liar and never catch any good fish
    • I always tell the truth and i never catch small fish
    • I think fishing is for sad people who can't do sports

i have a little kick boat i bought a couple of years ago - its great - it only weighs 18lbs in the bag and terrific to fish off - your bum is out of the water so warmer than a float tube - i fitted some oars to it but that ddint work - so i took them off again - easier to fin around and fish at the same time - with the oars i had to keep putting the rod down to row. Caught the trout in the avatar on opening day.

any fish in the pontoon yet michael?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried Gossa Water at the back end of last season with the spinner. Only managed a couple of tiddlers from the north shore. I have been told it has some better fish - but what loch does somebody not say that about :lol: .

It was fairly shallow with good areas of shingly/sandy bottom but there were also some nastier bits so I'd be careful of wading in this dark water. Might try it again on a warmer summer night this year.

Never tried the Loch of Wick as we ran out of time so somebody else may be able to help you out on that one.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody tell me whats sporting about "anglers"? catching vast amounts o troots to boil for somebodys dog? .If thats all the respect you have for the lochs and the fish its a pretty poor show, moving fish from one loch to another ,restocking etc would not be needed if people could enjoy fishing for the sake of fishing.Why must you have to catch more than everyone else?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Angling law is a difficult subject but I found this -

Fishing for freshwater fish, including trout, without right or written permission is generally a civil offence.

As Shetland Anglers Assoc has rights to fish the majority of local lochs a permit from them covers you to fish most lochs.

From what I can gather, if the loch has a protection order issued against it then its illigal to fish without a permit OR the land owners permission, but otherwise there is no legal requirement.

but theres a possibility that Shetland is slightly different from Scotland and that Udal law dictates it requires the land owners permission(but that might just be for Salmon!)

• 3 weeks later...

The Shetland Trout Fishing book is out of print, but an updated version of the book is now available for free download at the Shetland Anglers Association website. There's no maps on this download, but it's a very useful guide still, with a huge number of lochs detailed. A new edition of the book will hopefully be in print before too long.

The free download is on this page:

http://www.shetlandtrout.co.uk/lochs.html

On the point of otter boards, me auld man un some folk wis goin tae da Big bannock last year and saw a man right aside da road in a loch towing an otterboard in broad daylight, he even waved and smiled!! The same man was seen at Tingon by a local angler doin da same thing. He waved but the angler just walked by him i tink kinda fed up. I know its not the reason but i cant help tinkin its partly to reason why the fishing is so poor there now. I've also personally heard o 1 guy goin there we a spinner and catching and keeping 19 troots?? Ridiculous eh! Myself And a few others, i think even the SAA have stocked there in the past but i Personally will not or don't want to stock it again which is a shame but if they are just goin to be hauled out en-masse, whats da point. Rant over, seasons started poorly i hear. No good catches so far, heard of 1 or 2 fine fish coming fae Tingwall, Always a good early season loch. Anybody hed any fish yet? Cheers.

• 1 month later...

It is good to see some effort being made to help the local trout stocks survive.

The problem with restocking with introduced trout, are many - are you not just diluting the natural Shetland brown trout, by introducing it with other non native strains. Before long you wont have a Shetland pure strain left, as these farmed genetic mongrels pollute the gene pool. As in other areas you will find that you have to keep up the restocking, as these introduced fish cannot be expected to do as well as fish that have adapted to our local conditions, over thousands of years. I know that the fish they are stocking with are not pure Shetland. In the long run it may not be a very clever thing to do, but restocking can be the solution, when done with care and thought, to protecting the genetic integrity of our brown trout stocks.

At the moment dumping thousands of fry into our lochs and burns is the right idea but needs the right kind of advice and a long term genetic plan to really work well and not end up damaging the stocks we already have.