Trout Fishing

turrifield

Do you tell the truth about fishing?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tell the truth about fishing?

• I am a damned liar and never catch any good fish
    • I always tell the truth and i never catch small fish
    • I think fishing is for sad people who can't do sports

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to loch fish illegally; a model boat with hooks trailing off the end of it. I didn't get anything in Fladabister or Nesting, but I got a good few in a peerie stream in Cunningsburgh. that was aboot 5 year ago, so I can't really remember the exact location, but I know it was on up the hill.

I know a guy who put a net in Benston once and took a good haul!

But seriously, Benston is alledged to be Shetlands premier loch, but is unfortunately fly fishing only.

Mind you, it's fly's you use on an otter board, so that must be ok then right?

Do you use an otter board?

I mind all the fuss when I was young about how otter-boards were bad and illegal etc. Surely this is crap? Yeah, with competitive fishing it'll be banned, but apart from that I can't see any issue.

Do you even need a fishing license or anything these days? I thought it would be ok due to the happy lack of any trespass laws in Scotland, but I'm no authority on the matter...

Guest Anonymous

People who fish illegally in shetland should be prosecuted.The people on this forum who admit fishing illegally are nothing but poaching scumbags,and those who post saying they have should be reported to the relevent authorities.

People who fish illegally in shetland should be prosecuted.The people on this forum who admit fishing illegally are nothing but poaching scumbags,and those who post saying they have should be reported to the relevent authorities.

:oops: Ay caramba, hit a nerve there then!

I would like to state without any hesitation that i personally have never, nor will ever advocate the use of "poaching" methods to fish in Shetland or anywhere else in adult life. I was hoping to encourage a response! :oops:

Anyway, "anonymous guest" if you feel strongly in favour of the trout fishing subject, why not register and contribute :) How do you feel about the subject of over-stocking in local lochs? Fish reaching 4 years old at 5" long, just so anglers can go home and say they caught 20 fish today, rather than a chance at one decent two+ pounder?

Stocking is great, i support it in every sense of the word,but not necessarily in all lochs. And i'd rather go home empty-handed than damage the mouths of tiddlers.

Ps, other Anonymous guest :roll: nice link to the lochs site, hadn't seen that before. :wink:

I have to say that the issue of stocking lochs in Shetland in principle is a good idea,although stocking lochs purely for the sole purpose of filling a basket with tiddlers to win a daft wee compitition is ludicrous.There is not much skill involved in catching hundreds of wee things in a loch which is hoaching with them.The natural balance of trout in shetland has taken thousands of years to evolve into what it was before stocking came in to effect.I am no expert,but it dosn't take a genius to work out there are risks being taken which could have a serious effect on the natural stock of our trout.

If your poor aff we five bairns whits wrang we takin your otter board tae benston and catching a good few fish, whin times are hard needs must!

If your poor aff we five bairns whits wrang we takin your otter board tae benston and catching a good few fish, whin times are hard needs must!

It's pretty true really when you consider this issue. It's not stealing, it's making the best of a bad lot if you are really hard up. Would they jail someone for poaching to feed a poor family?

Sometimes it seems like people are not socially allowed to appear to be poor anymore.

I have used an otter board a couple of times years ago but I wouldn't now. It's too greedy and I prefer sitting fishing rather than running up and down the shore!

Hear hear! And never let it be said that fly fishing is the only acceptable method. It's not. Not anywhere else, so not here either. :wink:

I almost always use a bubble float and a worm.

JVRTENNENTS wrote:

I don't think that anybody is going fishing to feed a poor family the are more likely to be buying sharn processed food!