Trout Fishing

turrifield

Do you tell the truth about fishing?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tell the truth about fishing?

• I am a damned liar and never catch any good fish
    • I always tell the truth and i never catch small fish
    • I think fishing is for sad people who can't do sports

I don't think it would be wise on me tae comment on poaching, I've no been for a while but the lochs in my area are pretty good : Clousta Loch,Vara Loch,Clingswater Loch and Northoose Loch, I really would need tae try it again since its on my doorstep

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would be wise on me tae comment on poaching, I've no been for a while but the lochs in my area are pretty good : Clousta Loch,Vara Loch,Clingswater Loch and Northoose Loch, I really would need tae try it again since its on my doorstep

Poaching for stockies. Oh the paradox! It tears me up. "dunna pit them in"/"dunna poach them oot"/"well dunna pit dem in...." etc.

Any wye Kevin, finish the job! Kirkhouse, Turdale, Sand water(not the roadside one) and even Hulma Water sit nicely along with your choices. My favourite West side area.

A grand day out. With or without cheese and more tea, Gromit...... :roll:

Guest Anonymous

i cant fly fish, seems too much effort, i am def a bobble and float man, and theres nothing wrong with that! whats an otter board by the way?

PS_ not telling where good to fish is, coz only I know!!!

ya ha ha!

Poaching for stockies. Oh the paradox! It tears me up. "dunna pit them in"/"dunna poach them oot"/"well dunna pit dem in...." etc.

Any wye Kevin, finish the job! Kirkhouse, Turdale, Sand water(not the roadside one) and even Hulma Water sit nicely along with your choices. My favourite West side area.

A grand day out. With or without cheese and more tea, Gromit...... :roll:

uh!, sorry, forgot to mention Kirkhouse, only been there once years ago, is it any use?. Have you been fishing in the Clousta/Twatt Loch's recently?, I'd be interested to know what ones you rate as I think I'll be dusting off the rod again this year. Clingswater was my favourite, and the peerie Setter Loch next to it mainly because you always caught something (even if it was a couple of inches long :) )

Kirkhouse is pretty good. There's been one or two beauties oot o' there ower da years. Mostly just fine 3/4 pounder types though. And usually peace and quiet! Maybe the occasional grouse. Great!

Clings water is just one of those 'special' places. I like it a lot. Good fish too. There's a mindboggling-ly deep hole in it too. :wink:

(also the folk who live there with aa da peerie bird hooses! Makes me smeeg (in a good wye) everytime i'm there)

Clings water is just one of those 'special' places. I like it a lot. Good fish too. There's a mindboggling-ly deep hole in it too. :wink:

(also the folk who live there with aa da peerie bird hooses! Makes me smeeg (in a good wye) everytime i'm there)

It is special! :), caught a good few decent ones in there. Stay away fae dat hoose!, the guy's crazy!, I widna have him hock in my mooth either! (he's a dentist)

:roll: yeah i've tried that one too, but it's no dat quiet, casting is a sausage, the boat canna fit through the door, they dunna lik worms in the place and there's as much chance o catching a bruney as a brownie. Or a pint o' milk come to think o it.

Great selection though as do says. :wink:

How do you feel about the subject of over-stocking in local lochs? Fish reaching 4 years old at 5" long, just so anglers can go home and say they caught 20 fish today, rather than a chance at one decent two+ pounder?

Stocking is great, i support it in every sense of the word,but not necessarily in all lochs. And i'd rather go home empty-handed than damage the mouths of tiddlers.

Over the years, I have been involved in re-stocking, and to my knowledge, the bulk of the re-stocking has been with "first feed" fry about 2-3 cm long. It takes several years for these fish to grow to takeable size.

There would have been no fish in for example Benston or the Eshaness Lochs if they hadn't been stocked about 60 years ago. I would be interested to know which lochs are considered to have been overstocked

Fladdabister loch has to be a loch full of the strangest troot ever... you have to get them on an exceptional day before they'll bite. If you've ever been there you'll know the the place is swarming with fly and larvae .. so they must be fairly foo most of the time. Though having said this you never seem to get a very sizeable troot out of there...

There's a big loch up the road from me and me and my brother caught a fish that was that big he had to climb inside it's mooth to get the harpoon back oot of it. It had a 4 pound bloobottle in its gub so I think it was feeding on the fly.

I think fishing is a murderous sport and should be banned along with rugby. :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...

I get the impression the 'anglers' don't seem too keen on folk spinning in the lochs, can anyone tell me why?.

Also I've just been looking on the visitshetland website and they have descriptions of the lochs on there, on some of them it says fly fishing only, how can this be, and who's going to stop me going to a loch I've gone tae since I wis a peerie boy we me spinner?