Pandora

Pooks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last.fm could be worth a try... assuming it doesn't go the same way as Pandora for the UK. It's more, for want of a much better word, "feature rich" and integrates with a huge number of music programs on many different platforms besides the norm e.g. Windows Mobile devices and the new touch based iPods. Well worth a look IMO

An email I just received

Hi all,

You may or may not have heard that, commencing 15th January 2008, Pandora www.pandora.com will cease transmission in the UK.

This is obviously a bad thing. It's down to the PRS / MCPS requesting 'per listen' fees for each track, which is financially cripppling for those who run Pandora. In the states Pandora pay a set fee to the publishers in order to be able to stream music. Obviously a 'per listen' fee would be astronomical due to the size of Pandora's listener base.

Tim Westergren, the founder of Pandora, is keen for all listeners, or those who believe in Internet Radio and its power to help musicians who would otherwise receive little or no airplay whatsoever, to show their support by signing this petition, which I have already signed.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SaveNetRadioUK/

Show your support!!

Get signing!

An email I just received

Hi all,

You may or may not have heard that, commencing 15th January 2008, Pandora www.pandora.com will cease transmission in the UK.

This is obviously a bad thing. It's down to the PRS / MCPS requesting 'per listen' fees for each track, which is financially cripppling for those who run Pandora. In the states Pandora pay a set fee to the publishers in order to be able to stream music. Obviously a 'per listen' fee would be astronomical due to the size of Pandora's listener base.

Tim Westergren, the founder of Pandora, is keen for all listeners, or those who believe in Internet Radio and its power to help musicians who would otherwise receive little or no airplay whatsoever, to show their support by signing this petition, which I have already signed.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SaveNetRadioUK/

Show your support!!

Get signing!

Done

I think you'll find that everybody had to use US zip codes to get the full service. Everyone i know did anyway.

I just tried signing in and got this:

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in United Kingdom (your IP address appears to be ***.***.***.***). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergen

Tim Westergren

Founder

:cry: :cry: :cry:

edit - i notice your post was last night PH, i was still able to get it last night too, US is ahint wis. :wink:

I mentioned last.fm a wee while back. They've just announced an expansion to their radio service:

London-based music site Last.fm announced today that it has convinced all four major record labels to let its users listen to their catalogues on demand and for free, worldwide. There's a catch, though - listeners are limited to three plays of a particular song. Last.fm will offer a new subscription package for what it calls "unlimited access".

Link to article

• 1 month later...