mango seed weevil in Co-op produce

khitajrah

I'm not sure what I should do about this so I thought I'd post something here. I bought a mango from the co-op the other day, I would imagine it would have been a fair trade one but I can't remember. So, I was chopping it up for a lovely mango pico-de-gallo salsa that I make when lo and behold something scurried into the seed! I admit I screamed like a girl and stuck the mango seed into a pint glass for further inspection. Three days later and one somewhat soggy mango later this little fella emerged. Yay he only has six legs so the fear factor diminished substantially. Google came up with the mango seed weevil. I'm not sure what I should do with him? We've named him Alfred. Should I tell the co-op? What should I feed him.. and other such things. Anyone have any ideas?

mango_0020_seed_0020_weevil_0020_2.jpg

mango_0020_seed_0020_weevil.jpg

The Co-op in lerwick still seems to run by the refund and replace or double refund so it could be worth a try.

Apparently they're a sausage to keep alive in captivity, and can only survive in and around mango trees. Unfortunately as you probably found out all the interesting articles need subscriptions.

If it wasn't for the fact entomology was considered creepy these days (for children) I would have suggested handing to the nearest 9-11year old boy.

But it's no longer cute to stick pins in defenceless insects.

Nope found loads of papers they all say the same thing, no artifical diet.

But on a brighter note at least you know your food wasn't irradiated because it seems to be the only thing that kills the blighters.

Apparently they are more common than you would think, it's just very few of us cut through to the seed.

Aggghhhh.... :shock:

What's up with your site by the way? Seems to have been down the last few days at least, maybe longer. I just noticed a day or two back and presumed it was summat techy with your host but it's still down. Hope you get it back soon. :)

Aggghhhh.... :shock:

What's up with your site by the way? Seems to have been down the last few days at least, maybe longer. I just noticed a day or two back and presumed it was summat techy with your host but it's still down. Hope you get it back soon. :)

The website is temporarily closed while I find someone else to manage it. Due to circumstances out of my control I am closing down my business. :cry:

Put it into environmental health and let the Co-op know what you've found and where it is. It's quite common to weird and wonderful things out of fruit and veg (frogs, scorpions(!) etc.). Could be a problem with a batch that haven't been fumigated properly.

Put it into environmental health and let the Co-op know what you've found and where it is. It's quite common to weird and wonderful things out of fruit and veg (frogs, scorpions(!) etc.). Could be a problem with a batch that haven't been fumigated properly.

Take it you hadn't picked it up as one of the reasons for your irradiation debate. You can't fumigate against something sealed inside an air tight mango. They're not a notifiable insect in this country as we don't have any mangrove plantations for them to survive.

Regardless of whether the insect is a notifiable pest or not, some produce is routinely fumigated to prevent post-harvest crop losses or warehouse infestation. Depending on the stage of harvest (I don't know enough details about this particular brand), there can be some benefits from fumigation with reference to seed/stone pests. As many fruits are harvested before they are ripe and kept in airtight containers with particular gas mixes for long periods before sale, it is entirely possible that the eggs would still be present on the outside of the mango, before larval stage and burrowing into the flesh. Obviously post harvest fumigation would not be the first choice method for weevil control, but most large producers operate integrated pest management systems, which may use soil fumigation. Whatever is in the fruit - be it insect or foreign body, the sale breaches the Food Safety Act 1990 S14 "not of the nature, substance or quality demanded..."