Lewismen's Grave?

DePooperit

Has anyone ever excavated the mound? The Man who defeated the Lewis men was Sinclair of Havera.

I believe some time ago you posted something on the opening of the Spiggie Hotel back in the late 1800s? I am interested to know the exact date that happened?

Bousta

Its never been meaningfully excavated as far as i know, and i don't know if there would be much point. The mound is pure sand for the vast majority, if not entirely, and the lime content after several centuries has all but destroyed what was in it. Fifty year ago you could still occasionally see what appeared to be a human lith (vertebrae) in the side a freshly dug rabbit hole, but if you touched one it immediately went to dust, and I'm not sure if you'd even find that any longer.

Not sure when Spiggie Hotel itself opened, but the first year the firm of R & T Henderson had south tourists stay with them I'm led to believe was 1884. Whether they stayed in spare rooms with the Hendersons and the hotel only came long in the following years when the firm had proven the market and begun to estblish themselves in it, or whether they built the first incarnation of the hotel on spec, I don't know.

Thanks for that about Spiggie Hotel. I am trying to trace the author of the information that guests were first put up above the shop in 1884 ... in Shetlopedia. I had thought it might be yourself. The photo of the 'rough shooters' in the Museum collection says 1884 and they are posed in front of the old shop at Whillygarth.