Park Hall, Bixter

gers-shetlander

Does anyone know anything about Park Hall in Bixter? I'm meant to be doing a university project on the building, but at present I'm having difficulty find info. Any info anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

Also for anyone who happens to know the area or building, any comments you have on the building, such as whether or not you think something should be done with it or your opinion on it being a listed building etc, comments such as these would also be greatly appreciated.

When I was little (30+ years ago) we visited family in Skeld a lot. Which meant driving past Park Hall. I loved the building then and still love it now. Though it makes me feel sad that it is so negelected. It's mass concrete, so I would think it would be beyond repair (well, nothing is beyond repair - if you throw enough money at it). It gives me the shivers every time I go past - to me it has always looked scary and romantic.

It used to belong to the Bowies, no idea who owns it now.

There are a few Wastside folk on here - I'm sure they would be able to let you know who owns it now.

Would the land registery be able to help?

I think it should be listed (I'm sure many others would disagree), I feel it is such an iconic landmark when you are going Wast.

Hope your project goes well - is it from a history or architecture point of view or both!

I remember when my parents spilt up my father got all the packs from estate agents, being a kid I thought "oh cool" when I saw the one for park hall. This was eighteen years ago (god I'm old). Unfortunately my father brought me back to earth when he explained about how it was near impossible to make it habitable. Even more so now, the general opinion is that you just have to knock it down and start again.

It's never really been what you might call a nice building, it's imposing almost alien, very spooky as a small child. Remember Osla Frasier telling stories about the place (don't think there's an old building in Shetland she didn't have a story about) but I can't remember any details.

I'm not sure which estate agents it was, but if you ask around maybe the selling agent has some of the details.

Daft question but have you tried the archives?

I have similar memories to Hollian of the place - it always seemed a kinda forbidding place and I imagined that someone really important must have lived there.

I really loved the big gateposts as you drove by with the round balls on top - I think these might have toppled now?

Anyway..... I thought I could remember an article recently about the Amenity Trust looking into buying the place with a view to restoration. I've done a bit of googling but haven't come up with anything, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

PS There is a reasonably well preserved cairn a short walk up the hill behind Park Hall with a nice little central chamber visible.

According to the book "Shetland - An Illustrated Architectural Guide" by Mike Finnie it was built in the early 20th century by a local doctor. It also has a small picture of a bizarre moorish structure (think taj mahal) outside the house which was a septic tank cover. I've attached a not very good quality picture below. Perhaps the museum might have the original.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6649/parkhallch3.jpg

:wink: One gatepost is still standing, or it was in August...scary building..., but it has been a nice thing once, well,,,, that septic tank cover was a bit over the top :lol: :lol:

Here's a link to the picture from August on Shetlopedia : http://shetlopedia.com/Image:Park_Hall-Sand.JPG

It looks rather nice in the dark :lol: : http://shetlopedia.com/Image:DSC_0047.jpg

Cheers

According to the book "Shetland - An Illustrated Architectural Guide" by Mike Finnie it was built in the early 20th century by a local doctor. It also has a small picture of a bizarre moorish structure (think taj mahal) outside the house which was a septic tank cover. I've attached a not very good quality picture below. Perhaps the museum might have the original.

It was built by Doctor Bowie. The last time I recall anyone trying to do anything serious with it was in the late 1970's when his grandson, the late John Bowie, wanted to turn it into a pub. He was turned down by the powers to be so it was left to rot. As a bairn I was always fascinated by the Taj Mahal in the garden and was vexed when it was knocked down. I seem to recall that the family used to keep dogs in it.

Just checked the Historic Scotland website which confirmed my thinking that it is listed. There isn't much in the way of information on it there but the SIC Planning Department keep more detailed schedules of all listed buildings and were helpful in sending me out some similar information not so long ago.

Its been years since I've been past it so I daresay it will be a lot more run down than it was last time I saw it. Shame as it would be good brought back into some sort of use.

That was a little while back - the downstairs windows are all boarded up now!

Great building. One of the first mass concrete constructions built in Shetland, I was told.

I have always wanted to buy it and renovate it but to me, it faces the wrong way and I just want to pick it up and turn it about 45 degrees anti-clockwise to see the spectacular views of the voe.

Fx

Guest posiedon

I actually ventured inside a couple of years ago, the ceilings were hanging very dangerously and I'd be surprised if they haven't collapsed completely by now.

That was a little while back - the downstairs windows are all boarded up now!

Great building. One of the first mass concrete constructions built in Shetland, I was told.

Fx

The Clousta Kirk was built using mass concrete in the late 1870s according to the title deeds, but Park Hall was only built between 1915-1925 I believe