Safe Driving DVD.

JAStewart

Willies_landy wrote

BOY RACER GOING UP HILL WITH A YOUNG MOTHER REVERSING ONTO THE ROAD. TAKE A MOMENT TO THINK ABOUT IT!

Yep.....have to agree about Church Road and I would add much of the Hillhead where even driving at the speed limit is much too fast. And as we seem to have attracted the attention of the Police I will mention the Street which has far too many idiots driving at a speed that is dangerous for the location....even though that speed is less than the speed limit. Only needs a toddler to toddle out of a shop door............

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willies_landy wrote

BOY RACER GOING UP HILL WITH A YOUNG MOTHER REVERSING ONTO THE ROAD. TAKE A MOMENT TO THINK ABOUT IT!

Yep.....have to agree about Church Road and I would add much of the Hillhead where even driving at the speed limit is much too fast. And as we seem to have attracted the attention of the Police I will mention the Street which has far too many idiots driving at a speed that is dangerous for the location....even though that speed is less than the speed limit. Only needs a toddler to toddle out of a shop door............

Truth be told, the only time i have ever run anybody over (touch wood) was on commercial street whilst driving a commercial vehicle at less than 1mph. It was a guy who stepped out of a shop doorway in hurry and straight into my front panel, fell over picked himself up and promptly apologised. Comical maybe, but very indicative of how easily things could have been different had i (or anyone else) been travelling faster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have always remembered something from my driving instruction days (too long ago to think of now!), a quick formula for working out your stopping distance.

Take your speed, convert it into feet and that's your thinking/reaction time, before you hit the brakes. Then take the first digit of your speed, divide it by half and multiply your speed by it (i.e. 30 mph means 3 divided by 2 = 1.5 x 30 = 45) . Then add your thinking distance. So total stopping distance at 30 mph is 75 feet. Go up to 40 mph and teh stopping distance becomes 120 feet. 50 mph = 175 feet. 60 = 240 feet.

Kind of gets away from you, no matter how good a driver you think you may be. A well trained fast driver will kill a kid (or anyone else) just as surely as a learner would. Remember that, next time you're doing 40-50 past Sound primary school, because living a stone's throw away, I see plenty of you!

By virtue of their height, kids will hit the front of teh car wth their heads where adults hit the top of it, usually crumpling the metasl which affords some small protection.

I was also told once by a courteous young policeman that for a stationary object to be hit by an object travelling at 30 mph transfers as much force as if you were hit by an elephant. He did not smile when I asked him how many elephants can run at 30 mph, or suggested being nicer to the elephant next time but that is beside the point.

Shetland has had a number of deaths in road accident in the last few years. One would be too much for my liking.

• 3 weeks later...