Trouble with Einstein

KOYAANISQATSI

Are Einstein's theories correct?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are Einstein's theories correct?

• Einstein's ok by me
    • Something seems amiss
    • It's the twilight zone I tell you

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction. An exception to this rule seems to be the forces associated with inertial and gravitational accelerations. A force must be applied to an object to change its velocity, but there is no apparent opposing force to match the applied force. The same situation occurs when one considers the force of gravity. As you sit in your chair you are conscious of a force pressing you against it, but, as with inertial acceleration, there is no apparent opposing force matching it.

This one confuses me......

The forces are balanced in those examples.

You sit in the chair, gravity is pulling you downwards, balanced by the chair pushing you upwards, and you do not move.

If there were unbalanced forces there would be an acceleration.

There is a lot more uncertainty on inertia...... why it exists, "what" it is in philosophical-science terms, but it's role on that site seems to be to pull us back into some acceptance of the aether.....

OUR universe appears to be unfathomably uniform. Look across space from one edge of the visible universe to the other, and you'll see that the microwave background radiation filling the cosmos is at the same temperature everywhere. That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old.

Another interesting question in today's science, but mostly because the background radiation is actually not uniform, but does show some sign of structure.... but that leads us on, as ever in science, to try and figure out why. I did read an interesting conjecture that by finding repeating patterns in the microwave background radiation we could determine the shape of the universe manifold..... slightly complicated by the multi-dimensional distortions (including in time) that would make pattern matching a hard job.

But anyhow, no end to the questions and no belief that we had better not look as it might go against Einstein.

To take the stance of "I've had it with this lot. I don’t care what Hawking says next, I don’t think there ever was a big bang, there aint no black holes and gravity’s pushing out the way." is kind of short sighted

There was no big bang, that is to say the Universe has no limits in space or time. It's not short sighted, it's just the bigger picture you're not seeing.

We may get some clues to all this yet........

"GLAST may be able to test this prediction by running a very long race of 10 billion light-years," says GLAST Project Scientist Steve Ritz of NASA Goddard. If very-high-energy gamma rays from GRBs preferentially arrive at Earth slightly ahead of or behind low-energy gamma rays, this could indicate a violation in the principle that all light travels at the same speed in a vacuum. Even if GRBs tend to release high-energy gamma rays slightly before or after low-energy gamma rays, GLAST could notice that the lag time gets larger as GRB distances increase. "If this happens, and if we can exclude more mundane astrophysical explanations, this would be a huge discovery," says Ritz. "GLAST would truly carry us beyond Einstein."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST/science/testing_fundamental_physics.html

Date: May 16

Mission: GLAST

Launch Vehicle: United Launch Alliance Delta II

Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station - Launch Complex 17 - Pad 17-B

Launch Window: 11:45 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.

* Explore the most extreme environments in the Universe, where nature harnesses energies far beyond anything possible on Earth.

* Search for signs of new laws of physics and what composes the mysterious Dark Matter.

* Explain how black holes accelerate immense jets of material to nearly light speed.

* Help crack the mysteries of the stupendously powerful explosions known as gamma-ray bursts.

* Answer long-standing questions across a broad range of topics, including solar flares, pulsars and the origin of cosmic rays.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

"Relativity Mathematically Fails!"

$50,000.00 each are hereby offered by the author, Cameron Y. Rebigsol, of this web site to people who can successfully defend Relativity

http://members.aol.com/crebigsol/awards.htm

Thanks for the input guys but you'll have to give me something more solid I can use to get my hands on the cash. :wink:

Quote:

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light

That simply isnt true KOYAANISQATSI.

I think you'll find what Einstein actually said is that nothing can accelerate past the speed of light. Your mass will increase the faster you approach the speed of light untill it becomes INFINITE. (E = MC2)

By the way the term infinite has a huge amount of meaning in mathematical terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity

But this does allow for particles already travelling at speeds faster than the speed of light i.e. Tachyons.

Oh and one thing that does prove both General and Special Relativity is Time Dilation, it's been proven by experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

To take the stance of "I've had it with this lot. I don’t care what Hawking says next, I don’t think there ever was a big bang, there aint no black holes and gravity’s pushing out the way." is kind of short sighted

There was no big bang, that is to say the Universe has no limits in space or time. It's not short sighted, it's just the bigger picture you're not seeing.

I'm not sure what you mean...

Firstly to the best of our knowledge there was a big bang, there is loads of evidence to back it up, and its best theory that can explain most of the phenomenon of our universe i.e. how elements formed, starts galaxies etc. It might not be correct but its best theory yet...

Secondly "Space - Time" exists inside our universe, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Would you be so kind as to enlighten me with the knowledge of the "bigger picture"?

Sorry just to add another point, we are pretty sure black holes exist. We have recordings of Radiation (X-rays etc.) being spewed out of black holes, which was an idea first put forward by Steven Hawking called: “Hawking Radiationâ€. You can also see its effects on the orbits of stars, and galaxies...