Why do people leave Shetland?

BigMouth

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left because job oppertunities in my field were pretty much restricted to the IT section of the Council if I stayed in Shetland.

Mmm, I know that feeling. I used to earn £30,000 a year sooth looking after a computer network that spanned 10 offices and I can't get a support job in the SIC as I don't have a degree.

There seems to be a reliance on degrees here.

But what about doctors and dentists? My three year wait for an appointment proves that we would benefit from our home-grown dentists returning. Had I have known that I was going to have to wait this long to get broken teeth repaired I would have gone off to a 3rd world country to get it done.

Guest Anonymous

I left because it was socially suffocating, couldnt get "in with" the top jobs as jobs were often earmarked to people who had been there for years, and people in small places can have a small mindedness not like anywhere else, plus, there is a distinct lack of available women.

I left because it was socially suffocating, couldnt get "in with" the top jobs as jobs were often earmarked to people who had been there for years, and people in small places can have a small mindedness not like anywhere else, plus, there is a distinct lack of available women.

I remember travelling in a car with someone who pointed everyone out by describing their misdemeanours and I suddenly realised the value of the anonymity that the mainland afforded everyone.

I have seen people from the mainland come and go for all sorts of reasons, the partner couldn't get work even though they had been assured that there was a lot of available work here, parochial attitudes, the difficulty of buying a house in comparison to the system in England, the thought of being an outsider for ever, but very rarely the weather.

I have to say that I have met some of the warmest and most welcoming people here. I have had a couple of girlfriends in the past and their families have always welcomed me in with open arms.

Coming from the mainland though I can see why there is discrimination, thinly veiled and otherwise. We never gave jobs to the boat people or any of the other refugees that turned up on our doorstep so I can understand it perfectly. I can't defend it though in any location.

The irony up here though is that if you employ your cousin you might not be employing the best man for the job and if the whole family is in the same industry, and that industry gets hit by a disaster, then you take every one of your family down with you.

It sounds trivial, but I think the "distinct lack of available women" as you put it is a valid point. I'm no longer single as I met a nice little canadian lass in a bar in Edinburgh. However, being a single guy in his 20s on a tuesday night in Shetland is abysmal!

It sounds trivial, but I think the "distinct lack of available women" as you put it is a valid point. I'm no longer single as I met a nice little canadian lass in a bar in Edinburgh. However, being a single guy in his 20s on a tuesday night in Shetland is abysmal!

It doesn't sound trivial at all.

Now bearing in mind that I am an ugly sausage and in my forties, I was quite stunned by the amount of interest that I had from females when I arrived here. OK, it could be the new boy on the block factor, but it was surprising what most Shetland women had to say about the men here. It was generally complaints about a total lack of subtlety, charm, manners, a lack of personal care and that they always had too much drink in them. Now they were referring to my age group and I have no experience of what the younger women are saying about your age group.

The above remarks are not in any way supposed to be offensive so I hope that no-one will take them as such. Don't shoot the messenger!

When I lived on my own on the mainland I used to invite the ladies around for dinner. I would lay on a really nice 3 or 4 course meal. Everything would be wonderfully presented and they would be treated like a princess. They were a lot more "responsive" with this sort of treatment.

We all want to be treated well. Women especially appreciate it so I always open the door for them. When they thank me I always say "you are welcome". Listen to what they have to say, take an interest in it even if it bores you witless, smile at them. If you invest in a bit of charm your returns will always be greater.

I am lucky to have met someone who is to me superb in all ways otherwise I think that I would have left the island a long time ago.

it was surprising what most Shetland women had to say about the men here. It was generally complaints about a total lack of subtlety, charm, manners, a lack of personal care and that they always had too much drink in them. Now they were referring to my age group and I have no experience of what the younger women are saying about your age group.

The above remarks are not in any way supposed to be offensive so I hope that no-one will take them as such. Don't shoot the messenger!

When I lived on my own on the mainland I used to invite the ladies around for dinner. I would lay on a really nice 3 or 4 course meal. Everything would be wonderfully presented and they would be treated like a princess. They were a lot more "responsive" with this sort of treatment.

We all want to be treated well. Women especially appreciate it so I always open the door for them. When they thank me I always say "you are welcome". Listen to what they have to say, take an interest in it even if it bores you witless, smile at them. If you invest in a bit of charm your returns will always be greater.

I am lucky to have met someone who is to me superb in all ways otherwise I think that I would have left the island a long time ago.

Ok my comment doesn't have much to do with why people leave Shetland but I think what Bigmouth is saying about what he's heard women in Shetland say about Shetland men should be heeded. In my experience Shetland men almost always have to be 'hammered' before thet can approach a woman and the concept of dating is practically unheard of. Where's the romance? Why are Shetland men so shy and lacking in self confidence?

Where's the romance? Why are Shetland men so shy and lacking in self confidence?

Its a macho thing. A lot of men still think that will win the ladies over. It might with some, but more prefer the gentler approach.

Never run away with the idea that I think that I have women sussed though. Nothing could be further from the truth. A recent example made me think. I rarely drink. This is out of choice and not because I have any demons. I do tend to tell peole that I don't drink though, rather than I only rarely drink to save on explanations of why I am not drinking on that particular night.

There was a woman that I quite liked the look of so I was chatting her up one day, thinking that I was doing well. All of the signs were there that I was getting somewhere. I didn't see her for a long time afterwards as our paths didn't cross, but I did hear from a friend that she was interested until the point that she heard that I didn't drink.

So it would appear that you will be OK if you are a drinker except if you are a drinker!

I didn't see her for a long time afterwards as our paths didn't cross, but I did hear from a friend that she was interested until the point that she heard that I didn't drink.

So it would appear that you will be OK if you are a drinker except if you are a drinker!

T-total people are generally annoying(although there are exeptions).

Theres drinking and theres drinking. A few is nice. Too much is unattractive.

Guest Anonymous

I left Shetland when I was 18 to go to uni convinced I'd be right back when I finished. 12 years later and now I'm staying abroad. Without a doubt (and I know everyone is different) leaving has been great for me as a person and has given me more life experience and opportunities than I could ever have hoped for if I was still in Shetland.

It will always be hom though and I do like to get back as often as I can. Although I can't see myself going back in the short term, it is interesting how your priorities change as you grow older though and being away does help you to appreciate certain things about Shetland which you took for granted or didn't see as being a priority when you were younger - the sense of belonging and community, the peace and quiet, top notch Council services etc.