New plays

I was there most nights this year and enjoyed most of what I saw too.

Me too. I wasn't too happy with some elements of the adjudication as a lot of the decisions were somewhat 'safe', but then again, Serpentine has 'pushing the bounds of the craft' as part of their identity - it is almost a mission statement and I applaud them for it.

The offerings tonight are true art & drama. I saw the rehearsals for Kathy Hubbard's "Stardust" and we really missed out with it being pulled at the last minute.

I'll see you all tonight!

I hope to go, even though I saw three of the plays at the drama festival.

Kathy Hubbard's one didn't happen due to illness.

You'll be in for a treat then. 'Childhood Valley' has been re-designed and it looks fantastic. Kathy's 'Stardust' is sure to make you smile, if not laugh out loud. A shame it wasn't presented during the festival but we're lucky to have this second opportunity to see it.

I've always thought that a good adjudicator or reviewer is able to succintly express the half formed thoughts of the enthusiastic but untutored viewer. The times I've read a review or listened to an adjudication and thought 'Yes, I saw that but didn't really appreciate what it meant'.

In the case of Childhood Valley, it has been extensively re-staged to meet some of the criticisms raised by, I think, the reviewer in the Shetland Times and probably the adjudicator. Although I didn't keep my copy of the Times, I do remember that the initial version was criticised for not portraying the 'bleak future' it was supposed to be set in.

What a difference this time - stark black and white costumes and no identifiable furniture, just three big white boxes.

As for the performances, the writing of the 'Ed' part had been criticised because he reached an angry climax without a clear path to justify reaching that climax. This time I noticed that the part was being played much more quietly (almost too quiet to hear some times) and in a more restrained fashion. I wondered why and it became obvious when his emotional climax was sadness and regret rather than anger. I found it a more believable journey.

I also recall that 'Frank', the government official, was criticised for playing his part like Hannibal Lecter. No he didn't sniff the air and press his face against glass, it was his delivery. This time he was a bit more jolly, at least as much as the part allowed. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I missed his gauntlet with the buttons on it. I know it was so cheesy but who wouldn't want one?

The ending left me a little dissatisfied. The first time I saw it, it took the impression from it that 'Frank' was after 'Mary'. This time, that didn't come across at all. Maybe that was deliberate, to give a more open ending. I thought in general that in portraying the 'bleak future', some of the emotion was stripped from the play and perhaps that was what was intended. Still enjoyed it though.

You're right TeeAyBee. Kathy Hubbard's Stardust Melody was a laugh out loud end to the evening which was probably a good job given the other three plays.

I wont say much about the other two plays (hurrah you say) except for a couple of small observations.

The adjudicator at the Drama festival noted that the Dreamcatcher set wasn't quite the reflection it was supposed to be. The big difference for me was the vase with the yellow flowers in it on the table in the back set. Why was that different, what did it symbolise or was it just the producer having a wind up? I noticed that it guest starred in Stardust Melody as well.

And in 99 Balloons, how do the Garrison staff get those three down from the roof?

As the designer of all 4 shows, I can probably answer your last couple of questions.

The reflection isn't supposed to be an absolute of "Tiger's" flat. The front portion of the stage where the "live" action takes place is set in the here and now. The rear raised reflected section of the stage where the Sally is, is set 3 months previously at the time she died. The set, in terms of furniture etc is the same on both sides, but the front section with crap strewn all over the place represents the chaos in Tiger's life since her death and the neat, clean ordered set at the back (yes with cheesy plastic Chris Hodge flowers) is the point when Sally died.

As for the balloons, they are helium filled and will probably be down on the theatre floor as i speak. They don't stay inflated for long as the helium leeches out of the latex balloons over about 12-18 hours.

I'm glad you liked the re-worked version of Childhood Valley and the damn glove is available for sale to the highest bidder along with the bath and bog if you want it!!!!

The adjudicator at the Drama festival noted that the Dreamcatcher set wasn't quite the reflection it was supposed to be. The big difference for me was the vase with the yellow flowers in it on the table in the back set. Why was that different, what did it symbolise or was it just the producer having a wind up?

The staging was deliberate, and the adjudicator didn't get it. As the production designer posted, life with sally and life without.

And in 99 Balloons, how do the Garrison staff get those three down from the roof?

In joke - all we need to do is to say no-one nick those balloons and as if by magic they're gone!

The reflection isn't supposed to be an absolute of "Tiger's" flat. The front portion of the stage where the "live" action takes place is set in the here and now. The rear raised reflected section of the stage where the Sally is, is set 3 months previously at the time she died.

That makes perfect sense and, along with the adjudicator, I didn't get it either or at least not exactly. I had the notion that the set was somehow the 'spirit' of the real life set with all objects reflecting in a 'spirit' world (if that makes the slightest sense). But of course a fixed moment that fades out at the end makes a lot more sense.

Incidentally I didn't remember all the pizza boxes being in the Drama festival production ( although they probably were - my memory) and had this vision of Serpentine sitting round re-designing Childhood Valley over an awful lot of pizza :lol:

I loved all the plays and here's hoping the next batch will be just as good

Incidentally I didn't remember all the pizza boxes being in the Drama festival production ( although they probably were - my memory) and had this vision of Serpentine sitting round re-designing Childhood Valley over an awful lot of pizza :lol:

ROFL! No doubt there should have been an empty bottle of Jack D and a few coke tins rolling about too!