Hello from a Shetland researcher

Hi all,

I've been in Shetland couple of times over the past couple of years. I'm a 30 yr old Finnish girl living in NW England, with plans to spend most of the summer 2008 in Shetland with my "new" 1980s VW campervan.

I came across to this forum while I was doing research for my PhD and was delighted to see such an active forum! I'm doing research on Shetland tourism and the use of Internet in it (good reason to spend time in Shetland and online :D)

Shortly my research is looking at how Shetland is 'sold' to tourists in official tourism marketing, and how this differs from a) the ways Shetland is portrayed in online discussion forums & blogs etc, B) the experience of everyday life by locals and c) the experiences of tourists once they get to Shetland

In addition to personal interest, there are two research related reasons for me to join the forum:

1) I'm wondering if any of you could help me - I am looking to meet and interview both locals and tourists (in person or through email), and even looking for a place to live/ room to rent for a while during this summer (I'll be mainly spending time in Northmavine, Fair Isle and Lerwick) (there's only so many nights I can spend in the tiny van ;))

2) I'm also wondering how would you feel if I used this group for research - i.e. keep record on the discussion that are relevant for my study and analyse them in due course. All the material would be used anonymously. If the whole group is against I won't do it, and if some members are against I can leave their posts out. What do you think?

(I did notice the point 3 in the Terms and Conditions, ‘You agree not to create a database (electronic or otherwise) that includes material downloaded or otherwise obtained from this website’ – but I’m hoping that I can do my research with the permission of individual members)

I'll be very happy to tell you more about my research & plans if you are interested, some information is also on my website http://www.emmareettakoivunen.co.uk/Shetland_tourism.html

Thanks for reading!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Maggieme,

sorry to hear there was problem with my email, there seems to be continuous problems with university server... :evil:

Anyway, I've sent you a PM – also others if you want to get in touch with me & the email address isn't working, please do send me a PM

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emma,

I got your email, and will be happy to meet and discuss your thesis topic, though I'm not certain I will have much to add to your knowledge.

My book on Shetland is published later this month. It is the first all-new Shetland travel narrative in nearly 150 years, so at least some folk are a bit excited about it -- other than me, I mean!

Best wishes,

Ron McMillan

www.sandstonepress.com/hinterland-betweenweathers.php (more info on book)