Digital Radio

david

So I read in the paper today that we're getting a limited digital radio service.

Limited meaning we will only get SIBC and BBC Radio Scotland.

Exactly what is the point in this?

Why take the time, effort and money installing DAB when you can only get 2 stations. Why waste all that money on buying a digital radio when you can only get 2 stations? What about all the BBC Radio 1 - 7?

DAB is a dead duck anyway. It's claimed to be better quality than FM, and although its digital and although some stations have similiar bitrates to that of a CD quality MP3, its not always true. FM Radio tends nice processing which makes it sound quite decent.

I bought a wifi radio the other day. Hooks into my wireless broadband. 1000 of stations avaliable on my radio. Perfect. THAT is the future.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you with many of your points there. The receivers are completely overpriced compared to trad FM, and the public see little benefit in upgrading

I bought a wifi radio the other day. Hooks into my wireless broadband. 1000 of stations avaliable on my radio. Perfect. THAT is the future.
That sounds like the business!

I think you're right about DAB being a dead duck.

There does seem little point bothering with it now that broadband is so prevalent. Even if you don't have a dedicated WiFi radio you've got access to low-res streams from all the major broadcasters. And I'm sure it won't be that long til bandwidths have increased to a level where the quality of streaming radio will be comparable to good FM.

The wifi radio has a few flaws... but the idea behind its brilliant. A lot of stations still broadcast in 32kps, which can sound a bit rubbish at times.

Radio 1 Bergen is always good to listen to if you want to get confused.

You can also listen to the majority of the BBC's listen again stuff. Radio Shetland aint there yet.

Mr Anderson of SIBC should put his bullitens online, should anyone want to listen to them.

When wifi becomes common in everyones house (which I think will be in the next few years)... this will take over from traditional FM. Digital Radio will never take off in Shetland.

*cough* £199 *cough*

http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Accessories/Peripherals/Wireless+Music+Players/230229360/Product.aspx

I'm supposed to be saving to go away in September, but some weeks once I've been paid, I think argh screw it,.

It is possibly the best £200 I've ever spent though.

But in the future, they'll cost less... and be better....

Hey James.

Well, I saw you on another thread talking about wirless internet and what not. I have a wireless router in my house which is plugged into my broadband router. (you can get combined wirless routers which already have the adsl part in them, but they are a bt more expensive).

So anywhere in my house there is a wireless internet signal. I just switch my radio on anywhere, and finds the avaliable network, I give my radio the network password.... bingo!

Its great.

You can also listen to the majority of the BBC's listen again stuff. Radio Shetland aint there yet.

When wifi becomes common in everyones house (which I think will be in the next few years)... this will take over from traditional FM. Digital Radio will never take off in Shetland.

Two points, how come Radio Shetland 'listen again' ain't available on this, when it is online?

And though DAB may have it's flaws, is it not the future for mobile broadcasting, ie, you would need to get from house to house pretty quick in your car to keep the wifi going :wink:

And, the promise of DAB was to provide 'other' features, including images....ehm...that would be TV then...? However, there must be some other useful functions within the signal that the egg-heads are sitting on at the mo.

It does seem like there's some pretty dubious parallel technology going on in this field though.

Oh yeah, there's always some annoying so&so who will find a bargain you missed out on :wink:

Two points, how come Radio Shetland 'listen again' ain't available on this, when it is online?

Probably no one has bugged the makers to get it added into their EPG.

DAB is a apparently really poor for being on the go too. I say apparently, I am only relaying what people have told me. You need good arials before you can get a good DAB reception, much like freeview.

With some mobile phone companies launching TV on 3G, I don't think it'll be too long before we see radio stations coming over 3G. In a few years time, 3G costs will be reduced, and we'll be able to get internet radio portable too. Internet radio allows there to be a lot of choice and at as high a quality as your willing to shelve out bandwidth wise.

Saying that, can we actually get 3G in Shetland yet?

I don't think it'll be too long before we see radio stations coming over 3G. In a few years time, 3G costs will be reduced, and we'll be able to get internet radio portable too.

Funny you should mention that. Pretty sure I read something about Nokia and O2(possibly) collaborating to introduce a 'Digital' radio service sometime soon.

I still have the DAB radio that I bought ages ago on the mainland when I lived there. I thought that the reception was really good and it was nice to be able to see what was on and what was coming on next. There was no broadband in the area that I lived so it was the only way to listen to Radio 7. It was bad for repeats though.

I was more than a little peeved when I got here and discovered that it wasn't usable. I handled the situation with my normal tact by writing to the Beeb and asking if because we were so far from London we were considered an irrelevance. They don't guarantee to answer all questions and mine must have gone in the too difficult to answer pile.

I don't have broadband even now. This time it is due to the financial consideration. I must admit that just two stations is a pain especially as one of them seems to be punishment. You choose!

I don't know the costs involved in getting DAB installed at Bressay, but surely to do it for two stations, it cant be much more to get all the BBC stations on it.

Unless, like you BigMouth, you already have a DAB radio, I can't see why anyone is going to splash out and buy one for Radio Scotland and SIBC.

Unless, like you BigMouth, you already have a DAB radio, I can't see why anyone is going to splash out and buy one for Radio Scotland and SIBC.

I agree, the main point in getting a DAB radio would be for the extra stations. There is no point paying for a radio that will only get two stations that you can already get on FM.

I listen to BBC 6 Music though the TV and a freeview box, but obviously can only do this in the living room where the TV is. Would it be that much more expensive to broadcast the full range of digital radio stations?