I-pod Help

MJ

Disaster the bairn's I-pod has suddenly died.

Made the mistake of going to the on-line help

Yes I have tried to turn it on and off again.

Yes it is (or was) fully charged when it died.

No I can't reset it because it wont switch on.

Help? Anyone know if the Mac shop guy fixed these things (is he still about and is he any good) or am I best trying to fight with apple's cistomer services?

Why do these thing happen in the holidays, she'd hardly notice during the school term.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phone me - I will try and talk you through it - 809432

Largely depends on what type of ipod it is. You could try the following:-

1. If it is an ipod video - toggle HOLD switch at top a few times (on and off and on) The put it on flat surface and hold down the menu button and the round middle white button together for 10 seconds. If it has run out of battery power, connect to mains adaptor if you have one, or computer power supply for at least 30 minutes first.

2. If it is an ipod itouch (like the iphone) hold down the top black button (looks like a black line) and the round button together for a while and see if that pushes it into action.

Also look up Ipod on the internet - there are various sites that will help alot.

http://www.methodshop.net/gadgets/ipodsupport/index.shtml

Good luck and stop panicking!

Fx :lol:

wayhey all of a sudden it just fires back to life. It's Nano, bought 4gb got 8, all I had to do was just click on http://www.methodshop.net/gadgets/ipodsupport/index.shtml and i-tunes opened, the Nano flashed on and all seems well, for now. Walkmans were always so much easier, all it required was a screwdriver. Holidays no longer ruined.

how can a wee box be so much hassle?

My dear husband managed to put his nano through a full 40 degree cycle in the washing machine . It was switched of at the time and had to be dried out on the storage heater for 48 hours but it works fine just the back light is a bit faint. :roll: :D

wayhey all of a sudden it just fires back to life. It's Nano, bought 4gb got 8, all I had to do was just click on http://www.methodshop.net/gadgets/ipodsupport/index.shtml and i-tunes opened, the Nano flashed on and all seems well, for now. Walkmans were always so much easier, all it required was a screwdriver. Holidays no longer ruined.

how can a wee box be so much hassle?

My old one was prone to doing that for the first year of its life - it was a 6GB iPod mini. My new one - an 8GB iPod nano - has done the same thing once before but not yet again so far. Hope it stays that way...

• 2 weeks later...
so is it just to be cool?

Eh no, I was cool before I got my ipod! :lol:

But in speaking for the iPod Touch and iPhone, you'll struggle to find a better mp4 player in my opinion.

No im just onabout the mp3 player at the moment

although the iphone is also a complete waste of money, there is so much better out there, it took so long to develop the iphone that technology has advanced since then, the camera on it for example is poor compared to most on the market now.

the build quality is poor, it scratches way to easily, you get finger prints on it every time you touch the glossy screen, batteries are non user replaceable, the only software that will run it it has to be written by apple which reduces available applications considerably. The screen is also very easily broken....

also the speaker is way to quiet...

its bought by people that want to show off to friends...

its bought by people that want to show off to friends

That's certainly not the reason I bought the iPhone and I can't say I've experienced any problems with it (although the smudges stressed me out at first, now I don't notice them!) Have you actually had one or are you just basing your judgement on stuff you've read on the internet?

Yeah, I'd agree that the camera is pretty pants but the phone, mp3, mp4 player parts of it are all great in my opinion (I actually got it more for the mp4 part of it than anything else.....after eyeing up my other halfs iTouch that I got him as a gift. I needed a new phone too and thought, why not. Certainly not disappointed with it)

its bought by people that want to show off to friends

That's certainly not the reason I bought the iPhone and I can't say I've experienced any problems with it (although the smudges stressed me out at first, now I don't notice them!) Have you actually had one or are you just basing your judgement on stuff you've read on the internet?

Yeah, I'd agree that the camera is pretty pants but the phone, mp3, mp4 player parts of it are all great in my opinion.

No I havent got one, why would i waste such a ridiculous amount of money on a phone. I let other people like your goodself waste their money then read the reviews and have a laugh at their expense!

then i go out and buy based upon specification rather as hype

but no, the iphone has a lot of good reviews, it also has bad - but my point is essentially about mp3 players as really all they do is play music, so why go for the most expensive?

I have no quarms with buying brands, Id never have a french car for example! im just interested on what drives people to buy what they buy

I buy iPods because I have Apple Mac computers so I am used to the operating system, the way they work and like the design.

I have an iTouch ipod and that is wonderful. Everything about it is lovely. I watch films, have used it when south for looking at my emails in the hotel, listen to music. It is a good machine. It has been an essential piece of kit during longhaul flights too.

I wouldn't buy a different make of mp3 player for the obvious reasons that Apple have created this, I work with Apple and it is very good at its job.

Warning: the following contains a rant about iPhones (sorry Mhari P!)

Pretty much all iPods are overpriced and you can get much better for your money. iPhones in particular. With the exception of France (I think) every country were you can get an iPhone you have only one choice of carrier... and Apple take a share of the contract fee. Then we have the application lock-in. For a premium priced smartphone it's pathetic. It's a 2 pronged thang:

1) Older iPods have been accessible through programs other than iTunes. With the iPhone and Touch Apple did their very best to change all that so you have to use iTunes... and only iTunes.

2) You can't install jack diddly on your premium priced smartphone. The AppStore is coming... but again you're restricted to what Apple allow you access to. Look at 3rd party support for the iPhones smartphone rivals: Symbian/UIQ and Windows Mobile. There's countless stores selling you countless programs that you can install over the air.

What Apple were thinking releasing the iPhone in Europe that can't send or receive picture messages, no 3G, up until recently you could only send a SMS to one person at a time, crippled Bluetooth etc. As a phone there's plenty basic handsets that kick its ass. It's still a lovely device to use. One of the best user experiences if you excuse some glaringly obvious missing features.

If none of the above is important to you then fine. You've been seriously ripped off though as you're monies could have gotten you so much more IMO.

In defence of Apple they do update the firmware on a pretty regular basis... which then gets duly hacked to remove the carrier and application lock-in. The running battles between Apple and the hackers is laughable. I've seen some new firmwares get hacked before they've even been released to the public. The Safari browser is hands down the best mobile browser out there and the YouTube support are both winning features too.

I have an iTouch ipod and that is wonderful. Everything about it is lovely. I watch films, have used it when south for looking at my emails in the hotel, listen to music. It is a good machine. It has been an essential piece of kit during longhaul flights too.

Darn right it is 8) Yup, you read that right :wink: After the rant above about the iPhone I've actually got a Touch myself. It's the only iPod I've ever had the slightest bit of interest in because it has features that make it different from the rest. It's been freed from iTunes and I can install programs on it without Apples say-so. People should be able to do all that in the first place without jumping through hoops and calling on the mad ninja skillz of the hackers out there.

/end rant